Beginner Backdrops for studio shoots

Name
Stella
Edit My Images
No
Hi all. I'm having such a difficult time with my backdrops. I've started slowly getting bits and pieces every few months, to finally at some point start an actual studio photography business. I have a set of toddler twins at home so it's proving to take me much longer than initially intended. So I'm using the next couple of years to just do free shoots for people, thus building my portfolio and keep practising. It has been going very well, each shoot has helped me learn how to deal with new obstacles (logistics of a working mom mostly but also other bits) and also to keep practising.

I'm having 2 major issues, the first being my backdrops. So I just have a regular backdrop stand (I do at some point in the future want to upgrade to a fixed wall backdrop holder and switch to paper backdrops) but this is what I have to use now. It's also good as I've been able to take it with to people's houses and do shoots in different locations. Again, logistically with 2 tiny tornadoes at home it's been hard either way. But so I have a white and a black plain cotton backdrop and these 2 are my most used but they become a bit transparent when using a studio flash! So I'm having to edit it in post which is so time-consuming. I have now switched to using 2 at a time, so like putting the white one under the black, which helps a little. Doesn't help when trying to use the white one though.

And also the backdrops are always creased and ironing doesn't seem to help. I can't keep them up all the time, they have to be folded away.

This then causes the editing process to take so long. Because I don't have a great monitor, it makes it really difficult to edit properly because the main screen I use doesn't pick up everything properly.... so for example, if I have to fix a transparent bit of the backdrop, my main editing screen doesn't pick it up. So after I've edited everything, I run it through the bigger screen I have. Logistically at the moment, mostly due to these babies, I am struggling to just use the big screen right from the start. I can't afford to get a decent new monitor at the moment, but one day when I do start looking for clients, I will just have to take the plunge and get one then.

For now, so far everyone has been very happy with the shoots. I've been experimenting with all sorts, my friends have been wonderful and even helped me practice boudoir shoots. And I've been enjoying it all immensely! If I can just sort the backdrops out, it'll make it all go a bit smoother. But ultimately, the life of a working mother is much like juggling wild rabbits, who are on fire :wacky:

If they are the really cheap muslin type cloths, you should replace them. The cost of a decent one will be paid back in no time by saving the time you’re spending fixing the issues.

Yes, you need the right tools for the job.
Any black non-shiny muslin backdrop should be fine provided that you avoid light from the flash reaching it, which is easier if you have plenty of space between the main subject and the background, but I suppose that there may be some very cheap ones that are simply too thin.

White is a slightly more complex issue, but once we've seen examples we should be able to help.

I just wanted to apologise for the late reply, seeing as you all were so speedy & helpful! These babies keep me hopping.

Firstly, I only have to hand unedited photos of a boudoir shoot which I can't share... I have some others from last year but they're on my old laptop which is just a pain to get to at the minute. I didn't bother putting it all onto HDDs because it's so old now. I will remember next time to post the unedited photo next time though, when I inevitably need help again.

Anyway, but I had a shoot with a friend yesterday & I rearranged the way I set up the lighting & thank you very much guys! Yes, I just didn't have the lighting far away enough. The shoot was great, no transparency on the black. I didn't end up using the white. I'll deal with that soon enough.

If they are the really cheap muslin type cloths, you should replace them. The cost of a decent one will be paid back in no time by saving the time you’re spending fixing the issues.

I'm curious Phil, what would a decent backdrop be priced at roughly? So these aren't mine, a friend has borrowed them to me to use while I get set up and what not. They don't seem particularly cheap, they're not a muslin type. But when it comes time to buy my own, I want to make sure I get something good, but I'm not really sure how to tell which ones those will be.

Anyway, but I had a shoot with a friend yesterday & I rearranged the way I set up the lighting & thank you very much guys! Yes, I just didn't have the lighting far away enough. The shoot was great, no transparency on the black. I didn't end up using the white. I'll deal with that soon enough.
Well, just post an example when you can, and we can take it from there. All examples MUST BE UNEDITED - the people who post edited versions are unlikely to get very helpful suggestions.
Yes, I just didn't have the lighting far away enough. The shoot was great, no transparency on the black. I didn't end up using the white. I'll deal with that soon enough.
It's about the distance from the main (front) subject to the rear (background) subject. Check out the Inverse Square Law, which tells us that every time we double the distance we lose 3/4 of the light power. So, with enough distance (say 3 metres) very little light will reach the background. This will help a black background to stay black and will allow enough space for you to light a white background separately.
I'm curious Phil, what would a decent backdrop be priced at roughly? So these aren't mine, a friend has borrowed them to me to use while I get set up and what not. They don't seem particularly cheap, they're not a muslin type. But when it comes time to buy my own, I want to make sure I get something good, but I'm not really sure how to tell which ones those will be.
The best backgrounds for white are paper, but they are expensive and a bit of a faff, so a lot of people use vinyl instead.
The very best backgrounds for black are made of genuine black velvet, but extremely expensive. The "Velveteen" ones sold on eBay and similar are pretty useless, too shiny. Paper and most vinyl backgrounds are too shiny too. Black muslin (cotton) is the best option.

Back