Backdrops

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey, just wondered what you all use for backdrops?

I have a job coming up where I need to photograph some products from above (straight down) and need white backgrounds. I have used paper in the past but was looking at this... https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/product/pixapro-2x4m-dual-sided-blackwhite-vinyl-backdrop/

Anyone used this?

I am shooting at a location and don't have a studio so need it to be transportable. I have stands and a cross pole already (a cheap set) that came with that non woven material, but too textured for my liking!

I appreciate any advise given!

T

I use a white blackout blind, removed the top and bottom fixings, £10.99 from Amazon

That product should be fine, and much better than a non-woven background - everything is - but inevitably will photograph as off white unless you place your products on a glass sheet suspended some distance above and light the background separately.

Your best results, if there aren't too many shots and if they have clean edges, is to shoot them against a grey background and cut them out. That way you'll have a perfect background and won't get unwanted light bouncing back on to the subjects.

Hey, just wondered what you all use for backdrops?

I have a job coming up where I need to photograph some products from above (straight down) and need white backgrounds. I have used paper in the past but was looking at this... https://www.essentialphoto.co.uk/product/pixapro-2x4m-dual-sided-blackwhite-vinyl-backdrop/

Anyone used this?

I am shooting at a location and don't have a studio so need it to be transportable. I have stands and a cross pole already (a cheap set) that came with that non woven material, but too textured for my liking!

I appreciate any advise given!

T

As Garry said, cut them out, depends on the number of items, but inevitability you will end up with different colour backgrounds as you change the lighting to suit the product, there is very, very little chance the background will be perfectly white in camera.

That product should be fine, and much better than a non-woven background - everything is - but inevitably will photograph as off white unless you place your products on a glass sheet suspended some distance above and light the background separately.

Your best results, if there aren't too many shots and if they have clean edges, is to shoot them against a grey background and cut them out. That way you'll have a perfect background and won't get unwanted light bouncing back on to the subjects.
As Garry said, cut them out, depends on the number of items, but inevitability you will end up with different colour backgrounds as you change the lighting to suit the product, there is very, very little chance the background will be perfectly white in camera.

Appreciate the info, most of the products are light or white (support pillows and cot mattresses etc) and non reflective. Would it be better to shoot on black instead of grey to get a higher contrast or will that cause other issues?

T

Appreciate the info, most of the products are light or white (support pillows and cot mattresses etc) and non reflective. Would it be better to shoot on black instead of grey to get a higher contrast or will that cause other issues?

T
Try it and see. Certainly a black background will create more drama and will make the products more eye-catching, but it may be a bit too much. Grey is likely to be better.

Try it and see. Certainly a black background will create more drama and will make the products more eye-catching, but it may be a bit too much. Grey is likely to be better.
I will probably end up cutting them out, but wondered if black would cause any lighting issues. My instinct says it will be fine lighting wise and easier to cut out, am I correct?

Yes, it will be fine lighting wise and will actually prevent lighting issues, because there will be no unwanted light bouncing back from the background.

Back