Background colours in Lightroom and Photoshop

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Just watched a YT video about changing the background colours in both the Lightroom and Photoshop workspaces. I was quite surprised to see how the background colours can influence the way you process an image.

Having said that, what colours do people on here use and prefer?

Never thought about it, do you have a link to the video?

Possibly Anthony Morganti's post on YouTube this afternoon?

GC

Having said that, what colours do people on here use and prefer?

If you are making prints to be mounted on a traditional matted board, then edit on a white background. If you upload to a web site where the images are set against a black background then edit against a black background etc, etc.

As the YT video presumably explained, the background you edit against affects how you perceive the contrast of the image, so you want to match the editing environment to the presentation environment

I tend to use a light grey or white as a "standard". I find the light grey easier on the eyes and I don't like dark backgrounds to either edit or present images.

TP - mainly white.
FM - mid grey.
POTN - white & mid grey
Flickr - white &/or quite a dark grey depend where you click the image from.
Instagram - white.

Mid grey seems a nice balance ;)

If you are making prints to be mounted on a traditional matted board, then edit on a white background. If you upload to a web site where the images are set against a black background then edit against a black background etc, etc.

As the YT video presumably explained, the background you edit against affects how you perceive the contrast of the image, so you want to match the editing environment to the presentation environment

I tend to use a light grey or white as a "standard". I find the light grey easier on the eyes and I don't like dark backgrounds to either edit or present images.

Never thought of looking a it that way Graham. Most certainly will in the future though.

Whatever background colour you prefer to edit against, it only takes a couple of seconds to change to a different colour to see how it looks.

Back