Background Removal

Edit My Images
No
Hi Guys, your advice please.
I have been asked to take some portraits last minute so I dont have time to buy any more equipment.
The portraits are going to be used on posters so the backgrounds will be removed.

As I dont have any studio lighting or background kits I just wondered what the best approach would be.

Im using a D200 and an SB600. Would I be better off underexposing the background to give a larger contrast between that and the subject thus making it easier to cut out, or should I find a plain background i.e. a white wall, and try to overexpose it?

Would you go off camera with the flash or keep it on the camera and bounce?

Thanks for your help

Do you only have the one light source (SB600)?

Well as you only have one SB then you can only use one SB to fire at the background to overexpose it.
Wouldnt it be better to use the flash on the subject and underexpose the bg, allowing you to extract the darker area of the image?

Much much harder. Have you got a black wall at all then? As to underexpose the background you would need to have a really dark room and a large f number. Then you would have to make sure that your flash doesn't hit the background and ruin the blackness.

Which sounds easier to you?!

Much much harder. Have you got a black wall at all then? As to underexpose the background you would need to have a really dark room and a large f number. Then you would have to make sure that your flash doesn't hit the background and ruin the blackness.

Which sounds easier to you?!

haha, ok ill go with your method ;)
Thanks for your help

Back