Backgrounds

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anybody give me some pointers on background and their supports? It's for a home studio so doesn't have to be top of the range. What's better cloth or paper?

Is there anything in particular to look out for with supports?

Thanks!

:)

From my knowledge and experience looking for one, there seems to be really 2 types. One that is really weak, liable to fall and less sturdier. I opted to spend just a few dollars more for something strong and sturdy because I wouldn't want it to fall on anyone. Other than that the attachments that enable it to hold more at once.

To be safe, I went in to see what I was getting, I spend about $160+(US) and am totally satisfied with what I got. These seem to start at about $89.99 and the more money you spend the stronger. I can say you don't need the best but don't get the cheapest.

I also opted for Muslin backgrounds, a little more expensive, but they last longer than paper. I can wash them.

hi pete.

not much help but i have used a cheaper frame and its ok but to be honest it was hard to keep the muslin sheet tight to try and make it look good..

i use the same sheet in the garage but am able to pin it to the back wall which keeps it taut and crease free...

all my white b/g shots are taken with this..

i do intend on getting a roll of paper when funds permit..

just my thoughts mate...

md(y)

Thanks guys. So is it worth the extra cost for paper?

not sure extra cost is right pete ..

as a roll of paper will / should cost 30 quid and a muslin sheet cost me the same...

sure you can wash the sheet ... but if your carefull with the roll it should last a while also...

md:shrug:

Just looking at replacing my muslin drops with paper just to avoid the creasing problem (and the Ironing/PP time to rectify it). I've had a look round and the best place I've found is www.castlehillcrafts.com with the Creativity range for about £40. However I'm sure there must be someplace else that does cheap paper. If we lived in the USA there are a million and one art and craft places to get it super cheap......

I have a lencarta set of stand bought of e bay which are good.

The background I use lastolite rolls of paper 3m wide and 11m long again found it on ebay

I look at it like this, I don't iron my muslins simply because it will be a blur anyway & has been un-noticable in shots plus I fold very well. I plan on getting paper because it is cheaper to have the extra colors, white & black are usually standards, as are blue & brown which I plan to purchase. It is your choice, I see a lot of paper being used, I also don't want to waste it. You know, environment & all.

Back