Backing up on location

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all.
I’m looking for a way to back up my sd cards whilst on location. Long term plan is to buy a MacBook once funds allow, But until that time can anyone recommend a solution?
I lost all of my photos last year due to a bad back up plan, which is sorted now. But I’m finding myself out and about for up to 2-3 days shooting and I’d like another set of belt and braces in case a card fails.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick

Hi all.
I’m looking for a way to back up my sd cards whilst on location. Long term plan is to buy a MacBook once funds allow, But until that time can anyone recommend a solution?
I lost all of my photos last year due to a bad back up plan, which is sorted now. But I’m finding myself out and about for up to 2-3 days shooting and I’d like another set of belt and braces in case a card fails.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick
Check out one of those Western digital ssd passports drives with an sd card slot inside it

Does your camera have 2 cards slots. Some that do have a copy function so you can copy from one card to another. If yours does you could copy to a larger capacity card.

Last edited:
Does your camera have 2 cards slots. Some that do have a copy function so you can copy from one card to another. If yours does you could copy to a larger capacity card.
It does have two card slots. That’s a fair shout too. Although I think I’d prefer a hard drive as I can always use it once I eventually get a MacBook

It does have two card slots. That’s a fair shout too. Although I think I’d prefer a hard drive as I can always use it once I eventually get a MacBook
It’s another option to think about. Slow large capacity SD cards are pretty cheap- £19 for a 128GB SanDisk card on amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Ultra-Memory-Class-Black/dp/B014IX03CE/ref=sr_1_4?crid=GZCJ72EQUJX0&keywords=sandisk+128gb+sd+card&qid=1560892679&s=gateway&sprefix=SAN+disk+128,aps,373&sr=8-4&th=1

I guess it all depends on the kind of budget you are thinking of. I like the idea of the hard drives with SD slots but they are quite a bit more than a standard hard drive. Without a laptop they sound ideal, with a laptop less so.

Last edited:
I bought a second hand netbook. I download all my photos onto that and then copy them onto another card as well so that I have three copies in case I manage to produce something worthwhile.

I've been looking at back-up options when I don't want to carry a laptop with me. I discovered that my current camera (Nikon D7200) can back-up to an sd card using the second card slot. But, the WD drive option mentioned here is also appealing (using a 4TB HDD rather than an SSD since the HDD is less expensive). Does anyone have hands-on experience using the WD system for on-location backups?

I've been looking at back-up options when I don't want to carry a laptop with me. I discovered that my current camera (Nikon D7200) can back-up to an sd card using the second card slot. But, the WD drive option mentioned here is also appealing (using a 4TB HDD rather than an SSD since the HDD is less expensive). Does anyone have hands-on experience using the WD system for on-location backups?

I use the Western Digital 4TB HDD for backup and find it to be excellent, the battery last for ages and its great being able to just stick the SD Card in, hit a button and let it backup.
It can be set to either do a full backup of a card each time or incrementally back-up.

I use it when I go on holiday a lot and its also handy for being able to stick movies, etc on it and stream to an iPad or laptop when away.
Its large and heavy for an external HDD but it gets left in the room or safe most of the time anyway and I've never really noticed it as an issue when its in a larger camera bag anyway,

Back