Backing up ON1

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just started using ON1 after using Lightroom for some years. I have an external HD which I wish to use as a backup for my images, how do I go about this. I have a 27" iMac.

On1 doesn't use a database like Lightroom, instead storing the data in sidecar .on1 files with the edited images. Just use your normal backup software: Time Machine is pretty good if you have nothing else.

I have one folder that has all the images saved in individual subfolders. You can then just copy the folder to the external hard drive.

I have just started using ON1 after using Lightroom for some years. I have an external HD which I wish to use as a backup for my images, how do I go about this. I have a 27" iMac.
On1 doesn't use a database like Lightroom, instead storing the data in sidecar .on1 files with the edited images. Just use your normal backup software: Time Machine is pretty good if you have nothing else.

Thanks.

I have one folder that has all the images saved in individual subfolders. You can then just copy the folder to the external hard drive.
I am not very good at these things, so how do you carry this out. Thanks.

Some way some how all my images in Lightroom have appeared in ON1 and some images I just imported from my CF card are there too, but I am having a problem finding these latest imports, they are separate from the LR images.

I am not very good at these things, so how do you carry this out. Thanks.

Some way some how all my images in Lightroom have appeared in ON1 and some images I just imported from my CF card are there too, but I am having a problem finding these latest imports, they are separate from the LR images.

Are you letting the Mac import images for you, or do you manage your pictures personally? I'm guessing you let the Mac look after everything, but OTOH if you're using time machine then it will be automatically backing up pictures for you.

Are you letting the Mac import images for you, or do you manage your pictures personally? I'm guessing you let the Mac look after everything, but OTOH if you're using time machine then it will be automatically backing up pictures for you.

Yes I do let the iMac look after everything.
I do use Time Machine to do hourly backups. Some time ago I lost all my TM backups do to the Lacie HD failing so I am trying to be doubly sure this does not happen again by creating a separate HD backup.

Thanks for replying.

Yes I do let the iMac look after everything.
I do use Time Machine to do hourly backups. Some time ago I lost all my TM backups do to the Lacie HD failing so I am trying to be doubly sure this does not happen again by creating a separate HD backup.

Thanks for replying.

TBH I think you should take charge of your filing system, manually importing images from cards into folders that you create and name. That way you can be sure where your files are, and if/when it comes time to attempt recovery you will know where to look for your data. Time machine will automatically back up these folders too, but if you want additional back up then as AgentOrange76 said: "I have one folder that has all the images saved in individual subfolders. You can then just copy the folder to the external hard drive."

TBH I think you should take charge of your filing system, manually importing images from cards into folders that you create and name. That way you can be sure where your files are, and if/when it comes time to attempt recovery you will know where to look for your data. Time machine will automatically back up these folders too, but if you want additional back up then as AgentOrange76 said: "I have one folder that has all the images saved in individual subfolders. You can then just copy the folder to the external hard drive."

Thanks, will try and sort out what AgentOrange76 has said.

I use Capture One which creates folders however these follow a similar pattern to what i used for ON1.

I use windows so you will have to convert to Mac formats

On the hardrive is a folder set up by Windows called My files
In this folder I have created another folder called 2019 - there are 2017 and 2018 folders for last 2 years.
In the 2019 folder i create another folder for each shoot. I title these YYYYMMDD Words Describing shoot
e.g 20190925 Deer at Park. By putting the date in this order the files will always be in descending date order newest last/bottom

I now copy all the images from the card to the desired folder.

I then cull the images in the folder removing all the poor images - I use FastoneViewer but you can use On1 by opening the folder in On1

When you edit an image in On1 it places a file containing the edit information next to the original image.

I create a final folder inside the Shoot folder (20190925 Deer at Park) called Output which is where all my exported images are saved for that particular shoot.

Once I have culled the images I back up the file to the external hard drive (and cloud). I copy and paste the file 2019 to the hard drive overwritting the previous file.
I do the same after an editing session.

Hope that helps

AngelOrangr76 many many thanks for your very good explanation.

Back