Backing up Photos with new laptop ban in Middle East

Name
Neil Hughes
Edit My Images
No
Hi, first post. I booked a bird photography trip to Mongolia and would normally be taking big lenses, etc in my cabin baggage along with my laptop.

The recent change in travel regs hits me as my flight goes through Turkey, so my laptop would need to go in the hold which a) wouldn't be insured and b) would kill me on weight as I'm already trading clothes for tripods and binoculars.

Can anyone recommend a stand alone external harddrive that could read my Scandisk cards without need for a laptop?

Thanks

Hi, welcome :)

I haven't personally tried any of these, but I thought I'd throw in some options I know of for solutions ready to use out the box:

NEXTO DI ND2901 or NEXTO DI NVS2801

Westen Digital My Passport Wireless Pro (if you're using CF cards you'll obviously need a separate CF card reader).

I would be wary of the My Passport in terms of reliability and ability to recover data should anything go wrong with it though.

Hopefully someone will chime in with some real world experience.

I'd probably take either a large capacity USB memory stick or/and a 2.5" hard drive in a caddy & an old semi-disposable (~£100) laptop. Copy files across to external storage to travel with you in the cabin

Thanks, for the suggestions. On my last trip I took 12000 shots and shoot in RAW, (sounds a lot, but when you're seeing hundreds of different species...), so USB or extra cards I'll have a look at the external drives.

Back