Backing up SD Cards whilst travelling using tablet

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I am going to Thailand in November and don't really want to take my macbook pro with me, would much rather take my iPad air instead.

Does anyone know of a solution for backing up SD cards using an iPad? Ideally to a USB hard drive?

Not sure if there is some sort of device that would allow connection of a USB HD and an SD card reader that would allow you to transfer files etc.

Thanks,

Phil

If all you want to do is back up, and you've got or plan to buy a USB HDD anyway, easiest way I know is using one of the Kingston MobileLite devices.

They're battery powered, (and can charge your phone from the internal battery), they have built in WiFi if you want to share your shots, but otherwise slam in the SD card, plug in a USB device and transfer your shots over.

They're cheap too - £15-25 iirc

Thanks for the suggestions.

If all you want to do is back up, and you've got or plan to buy a USB HDD anyway, easiest way I know is using one of the Kingston MobileLite devices.

They're battery powered, (and can charge your phone from the internal battery), they have built in WiFi if you want to share your shots, but otherwise slam in the SD card, plug in a USB device and transfer your shots over.

They're cheap too - £15-25 iirc

This sounds perfect. I already have a USB HDD.

So just to be sure, using this device I can simultaneously connect the USB HDD and SD card, then connect via wifi with phone or iPad and transfer files between the USB HDD and SD card?

Look up OTG. It certainly works for Android. I'm sure there will be an Apple version (probably 10x the price)

This looks a great option for safari backups when I need to keep weight and bulk down. I assume I'd have a high capacity microSD in the tablet (Android) and then just attach a USB reader and use some software or other to arrange the transfer from card to device? I like the idea of using a phone as a backup device too!

The OTG (On The Go) is as small as a card reader. Mine, I think, has a few card reader slots on it plus a few usb ports. Cost about a tenner. Most newer phones/tablets are OTG compatible so there is no other software required. Also, if there is plenty of power left in your device then you don't need an external power supply.
As it has usb ports then it means you can plug in an external storage device and use the tablet/phone to move files about.

Last edited:
Check to see if you have enough remaining disk space on your ipad to backup your sd cards before buying any gadgets. If there is not you could use a combination of your ipad, external hard drive, on the go adaptor and USB hub to copy the files to the external from the sd card.

One of the best ways I have found is if you just use a tablet or laptop and use a free dropbox account over the internet.
all hotels have free wifi so copy your SD card contents into the dropbox account on your device/laptop/mobile phone and sync up to the cloud.

simples

Check to see if you have enough remaining disk space on your ipad to backup your sd cards before buying any gadgets. If there is not you could use a combination of your ipad, external hard drive, on the go adaptor and USB hub to copy the files to the external from the sd card.

Definitely not enough space on the iPad as it is 16GB.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TI3W...lid=2K5N8OOS6B1V2&coliid=I1YRTL3PMTGL67&psc=1

This seems to be a good option - I believe this will allow me to copy the files from the SD card to the USB HD via an app on iPad, unless there is a flaw in my plan.

I use two methods.

Method 1 - A RAVPower Pack and an ExHDD used via an iPad to transfer them over. (Set it up on WiFi first though)
Method 2 - iPad Pro with SD Card - Lightning Port adapter, which loads them onto your iPad pending iPad memory capacity, but just buy a large iCloud Drive and upload to there then you can access from anywhere.

I use two methods.

Method 1 - A RAVPower Pack and an ExHDD used via an iPad to transfer them over. (Set it up on WiFi first though)
Method 2 - iPad Pro with SD Card - Lightning Port adapter, which loads them onto your iPad pending iPad memory capacity, but just buy a large iCloud Drive and upload to there then you can access from anywhere.

I am looking at Method 1 - just wanted to check, does it copy directly between the SD card and the USB HDD? It doesn't copy them to the iPad first and then back to the USB HDD or something silly like that? (as I wouldn't have enough capacity on the iPad.)

Thanks

Definitely not enough space on the iPad as it is 16GB.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TI3W...lid=2K5N8OOS6B1V2&coliid=I1YRTL3PMTGL67&psc=1

This seems to be a good option - I believe this will allow me to copy the files from the SD card to the USB HD via an app on iPad, unless there is a flaw in my plan.

They look nice devices but the reviews say they are very very slow. If that's an issue you might want to look elsewhere.

Also, I think there are iOS restrictions that stop you doing what you want (i.e. copying from one external device to another directly). But I haven't used iOS in a while so I may be way out here.

They look nice devices but the reviews say they are very very slow. If that's an issue you might want to look elsewhere.

Also, I think there are iOS restrictions that stop you doing what you want (i.e. copying from one external device to another directly). But I haven't used iOS in a while so I may be way out here.

I also saw the performance complaints - I was looking at the WD03 and someone did some speed tests and got average speeds of around 7.4MB/s, so it would do a full backup (32GB) in under 1 hour 15 mins. Not ideal, but typically will be backing cards up at the end of the day in accommodation whilst charging devices etc so I can live with that I think - plus it's unlikely I would have a full card each day.

The iOS restrictions would be more of an issue, but people have reported being able to copy between external devices so I will have to cross my fingers and give it a go!

Last edited:
i
Thanks for the suggestions.

This sounds perfect. I already have a USB HDD.

So just to be sure, using this device I can simultaneously connect the USB HDD and SD card, then connect via wifi with phone or iPad and transfer files between the USB HDD and SD card?

Yes. You actually use a phone/tablet based app to manage the MobileLite via it's WiFi. The battery in the MobileLite is charged via a USB port (not sure what size it is technically, but it's the same as on my Android phone and tablet).

This is the one I use> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kingston-T...TF8&qid=1461343957&sr=8-3&keywords=MobileLite

I have no problems with the copy speed, as it's straight from card to USB HDD, and anyway, it's why someone invented cafe's and bars - somewhere to relax while the electronics do their thing. :)

The one thing you need to be aware of in my experience is that the phone/tablet needs to remain connected to the MobileLite during the data transfer. If you lose the connection the transfer will stop, resuming once the WiFi re-connects. Although there is 'pass-through' so you can also connect to the Internet at the same time, I use 'last weeks' mobile handset as a dedicated controller.

Last edited:
I assume you guys are using camera bodies with only one card slot?

Western Digital do a battery powered HDD with SD reader. Plug in SD card, switch on and it auto backups.

Back