Backlit Dog.

Edit My Images
Yes
This is more of a what would you do next time advice sought thread also.

2117861455_3bc463c67c.jpg

Tried out my new lens, 70-200 F4L for the first time today, waited till before sunset for better light and treated my sisters dog for a walk also.

Many pics turned out naff because my camera/me couldnt keep up tracking the dog + focus. I love the lens though!

Heres one I quite like, mainly because its of a family dog, and I tried a few different things as luckily he stood there for quite a while watching a bird, but this is a general "What would you do?"

I exposed for the dog, then tried exposing for the light in the background, then dialed in an inbetween. This is exposed for the grass behind him.

edit: one more thing! Too dark or light (overall) trying to get my monitor right.

The shot is incredibly dark Mik - I really like it this way though, the backlighting is very nice & the toning of the grass is excellent. I think however, you are talking about quite an artistic effect for this image at the moment - if you were going for spot on exposure with loads of detail in the shadowed areas then you will need to calibrate your monitor tbh.

I think that if you are looking for opinions/advice on whether or not your monitor profile is too dark/light then post up a perfectly exposed shot (histogram wise) & people will find it easier to judge (y)

As I said before though, I love this shot looking very dark with just some edge lighting, nicely done (y)

Thanks I was going for the edge lighting style, the original was lighter, but just a bit. Thanks for the comment moomike, yes the pics meant to be dark, but there's dark and then there's too dark.

Good point about a perfectly exposed shot, but that's another thread perhaps. Just to note, this isnt a final edit, I'm thinking of (if I can) adding the edge lighting all along his back, at the moment there's a gap.

I like it, I like the dogs posture..tbh, at a quick glance I thought it was a shetland pony...specsavers for me..lol

Back