Backpack question

Name
john
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking for a new/used backpack due to the fact that foolishly several months back i sold my lowepro photo trekker and am now left with a mini trekker and am finding it a bit cramped .
I have got two slip lock pouches that fit on it but make it clumsy and not comfortable when going any distance also the shoulder straps are not very sturdy and padding is minimal..
I only have 0ne body but several lenses the biggest being 70-200 f/4 but i also like to carry filters bits and bobs and a thermos and extra fleece and socks etc im sure you know what i mean.
I was thinking of something bigger than the mini but not too big and must be comfortable .Any ideas.

I'm in a similar situation. I bought a backpack and it looked good in the images but the thing is, when it arrived, it was awfully big. Space wise, I was catered for so I can't say it was bad in that respect but it did feel big on my back. I've since purchased a Manfrotto backpack and I bought it knowing it was a compact backpack and it serves its purpose well. I find myself in a pickle as I'll be heading abroad soon and the Manfrotto backpack is awfully small to accommodate a body, 2-3 lenses, a small tripod & additional non camera stuff which I can't take on checked luggage. I won't have this issue on the former bag but I find myself wanting some middle ground, come April and I can't find an alternative, I'll just go with the bigger backpack as while its large, it does its job and their is room to spare but its tiring lugging it around at times especially if your already dragging around a suit case.
It's a odd/ stupid situation to be in as I'm attempting to be practical yet why I can't justify to myself on purchasing a 3rd camera backpack.

Its an older bag, but I'd suggest looking at the Lowepro Vertex range. I've got the AW200 and recently got its slightly bigger brother the AW300. The 200 has served me well for a long time. Can carry a lot in the padded compartments, has a laptop pouch and also external pockets and sliplok attachment points. The shoulder and waist straps are a lot more comfortable than the straps on my previous Mini Trekker and Computatrekker bags, and despite the heavier load, is much kinder on your shoulders and back.

I got one of these because I needed more space but not willing to throw money on "a name".
Love it. It holds a ridiculous amount of stuff.

https://www.kentfaith.com/KF13.037_...MIrqTNyMbw3gIVgrTtCh3ovgm5EAQYASABEgKPrvD_BwE

I have a smaller version of that, it is a sling bag type. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MAUTMEU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazing quality, seriously impressed with how it is made!! The bag seems very robust and the strap is thick padding. There are little features like the strap for the tripod has extra locking cams on for grip, makes you question why everything does not have this!

Mine would be too small for OP's needs but I wanted a one camera and one lens option for when out with the family. I think I will be using it when working at events as well as my camera is on my hip and speed light, 2 lenses and other 'bits' in this bag.

Thinking about buying a bigger one now!

T

I too am in the market for a new backpack and it's an absolute minefield! I'm only carrying an X-T3 and a couple of lenses tops, so don't need anything crazy. I also don't really want it to look like a camera bag

I'm currently considering an insert to fit in my usual North Face backpack instead of spending £000's on a new, specific camera backpack.

All I'm going to say is..... Put comfort above cost.

You cannot beat having a backpack that has good padding, a waist strap, chest strap & is fully adjustable especially if you are carrying it for a long time over a long distance.

I've said this before but if you can live with a padded camera etc insert inside a conventional backpack then the world's your oyster. But you might find the access not convenient enough for your liking?

You would then have a huge range of sizes along with a choice of back configurations (back-length, padding, ventilation) and waist belts / sternum straps (a sternum strap helps to stop the shoulder straps slipping off your shoulders expecially when they're relieved of some of the pack weight by some of it being borne by the waist belt.

And also as I've said before, to me the idea that a pack needs the option of a fiddly blooming rain cover when it's raining is a ludicrous admission of failure by the makers of such gubbins - why can't they make their packs more waterproof in the first place? All my backpacks are Macpac in their Aztec fabric for this very reason (& I've spent long and arduous hours out in the rain).

Tripods can go inside or be retained by the walking pole / ice axe straps that most packs have as standard.

The Aztec fabric mentioned is inherently water-resistant without relying on a non abrasion-resistant and short-lived internal pu coating as used by Lowepro & all the rest. I have no connection whatsoever with Macpac apart from that of being a happy consumer.

Last edited:
Back