Backpack recommendation?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Just another quick noob question.

I've got a Lowepro 102AW but I'm off to the US end of August & am wondering several things.

I'm going to be taking with me my D5000, my 18-55 & 55-200 lenses with me + several memory cards & batteries. Not yet sure whether I should take a netbook to back stuff up too.

I'm still a total noob so I do not expect many of the pics I take to be keepers but I 'hope' some are.

What would be the best sack/bag to take my gear on the flight with?

Hey Paul, not sure if they still are made but a Lowepro Mini Trekker is a good option. Now to my standard reply <G>, check out this site, lots of pretty pictures of bags stuffed with gear and reviews by the users. www.cambags.com

If you intend clearing your memory cards onto a netbook maybe take a usb powered external hard drive too or buy loads of cards so you don't have to wipe them

As for bags I am very pleased with my Flipside 400, loads of room for everything although Jessops were doing the Lowepro 220AW recently for the silly price of 26 quid, not sure if they still are or not

I have the flipside 400 AW ... it has no compartment for a net/notebook and probably bigger than than you need considering the amount of gear you posted you're taking. It's pretty big bag and some airlines may try to say it's to big. I got refused by Air Canada to take mine as carry on when I inquired.

Lowepro Fastpack 250. Takes all the gear you need plus laptop. No AW but I bought one from EBay for a fiver. OK for airlines too!

Small netbook would go in the top compartment and pretty sure it conforms to most airline size guidelines, did you challenge the decision or ask for their maximum size

Depends what you want from a bag and for me comfort is number one which a sling type bag just doesn't deliver especially for wandering about all day on holiday, need the load spread more evenly with room for grub, drinks and other stuff too.

I have several bags....

20110607_085700_1167_LR.jpg

20110607_085738_1168_LR.jpg

.... and the Flipside 400 AW (second from left) is my favourite. I haven't taken it on board a plane but I can't imagine the size would be prohibitive. The one on the extreme left, which is larger, is supposed to fit within international carry-on regs, although no doubt Ryanair and similar might have different views.

It's usually worth buying a bag with a little growing room too. You just know there will be more kit appearing down the line and it rarely hurts to have some room for provisions or a showerproof jacket on occasion.

I've gone for the Lowepro Fastpack 250. I popped in to the Jessops & had a look & it seems ideal & plenty big enough for my needs.

I've got the lowepro fastpack 350 and it's legend! Big, roomy and has all compartments for my needs. I carry my camera everywhere I go now!

I on the other hand have just picked up a Fastpack 100. If it were an estate agent listing they would probably describe it as "cosy" :D.

Its quite compact but that's why I chose it, yet it fits a heck of a lot of stuff. I'm a bit small and vertically challenged and I didn't want something too big. Plus, we're hoping to take it when we go mountain biking so it will have to fit on my back without creating undue bulk or weight. It fits my 50d + 28-80mm lens attached, my 75-300mm zoom and there's a whole other compartment which could fit the same again.

If you're thinking of a compact bag which is easy to carry, there are a couple of YouTube videos showing people cramming a multitude of stuff in there. It would definitely fit the stuff you've mentioned there.

parker455 said:
I've got the lowepro fastpack 350 and it's legend! Big, roomy and has all compartments for my needs. I carry my camera everywhere I go now!

I have the same and I was amazed just how much I could fit in.

May I also add that it is super comfortable!

Over the years I've had several bags, and from all I kept 3:

Flipside 300 when I want to take more than 2 lenses and flashes. Very confortable and easy to open and change lenses while walking
http://products.lowepro.com/product/Flipside-300,2083,14.htm

National Geographic NG2345 for when 1 lens plus flash or 2 lenses are enough
http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/product/photography/photography-gear-and-bags/earth-explorer-shoulder-bag

And when I want to take all my gear, notebook included I use the Kata R-103
http://www.kata-bags.com/productFRM2HS.asp?p_Id=275&Version=Photo

My favorite is no doubt the Lowepro.

Just got my Lowepro 250 & it will be ideal for the plane & will hold all I need it to hold.

I have several bags....

20110607_085700_1167_LR.jpg

20110607_085738_1168_LR.jpg

It's usually worth buying a bag with a little growing room too. You just know there will be more kit appearing down the line and it rarely hurts to have some room for provisions or a showerproof jacket on occasion.

A man after my own heart, love the collection :LOL:

I just got the Lowepro SlingShot 202AW, and it's brilliant. Lots of room for a camera body and a few lenses, flash, memory cards etc. Really easy access too, no room for a netbook, but some of the bigger models do.

Wendy, you should see his shoe collection......

Originally Posted by tdodd
I have several bags....

Back