Backpack recommendations

Name
Jonathan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I am after some recommendations for a back pack for carrying gear for day walks plus a camera.

My camera is a Fuji xs10, so relatively small, plus a couple of small lenses and the bag needs to have room for butties and water as well.

I have tried a lowepro slingpack and I like the quick access to the camera but there is not much room for food or water and two straps would probably be better for walking all day.

Some sort of weather proofing would probably also be a good idea given the weather in this country.

So any suggestions?
Many thanks.

Have a look at camera inserts online and normal walking rucksacks.

It will be a bit more of a hassle in buying as you'd have to make sure the insert will fit into the rucksack.

However, it might well be cheaper than a dedicated camera backpack and could give you more space for food and clothing. Quite a few rucksacks come with a cover that is at least showerproof.

Dave

Reactions: ntz
Ive got a lowepro photo hatchback for days out, fits a dslr and a couple of lenses. Im also looking at getting a tenba fulton V2 which is a similar style.

What about a Lowepro Flipside or Tenba Solstice 12L Backpack. Double strap which is far better than one when carrying weight. Access without putting your bag on the wet ground or in mud buy sliding round and opens from the reverse.

I have found that a lot of the decent outdoor sports camera bags are too big for my Fuji system, The one that I have found that works well, if a little on the small side, is the Evoc Stage Capture 16. I have got a bigger bag if I need to take more kit.

I have found that a lot of the decent outdoor sports camera bags are too big for my Fuji system, The one that I have found that works well, if a little on the small side, is the Evoc Stage Capture 16. I have got a bigger bag if I need to take more kit.
There's not one bag for everyone, I get that. But with my larger rucksack, you lay it flat on the ground to access your gear and the airflow system and straps get shat up if it's wet or muddy.

Look at my Peak Design Everyday backpack in the for sale section.
Plenty of Youtube reviews to check it out.

Last edited:
There's not one bag for everyone, I get that. But with my larger rucksack, you lay it flat on the ground to access your gear and the airflow system and straps get shat up if it's wet or muddy.
It is always a compromise, on paper I prefer the rear opening packs, like my F Stop Guru, for the reasons you mention, and extra security when travelling. However, I am yet to find one with that design with good airflow to your back, so for longer days I prefer to avoid that style of camera bag. I find bags from outdoor sports companies are better in this regard than bags from companies more on the photography side.

I've gone through several backpacks trying to find something like what's being asked here - I stupidly started off carrying as much gear as I could with biggest bag I could find. Well, that was a mistake which only lasted 1 day when you realise how heavy it is on your back, and I've been going smaller and lighter ever since.

This is what I now use: https://www.amazon.co.uk/MOSISO-Shockproof-Customized-Mirrorless-Compatible/dp/B07PHSD2CC/

I get my Fujifilm X-T4 + 3 lenses, accessories, and carries the tripod. Could easily fill it with less to make room for sandwiches and there is a pouch on the side to put a water bottle in.

Never had a problem with it in light rain but if you wanted to really waterproof it just buy a Backpack Rain Cover.

It is always a compromise, on paper I prefer the rear opening packs, like my F Stop Guru, for the reasons you mention, and extra security when travelling. However, I am yet to find one with that design with good airflow to your back, so for longer days I prefer to avoid that style of camera bag. I find bags from outdoor sports companies are better in this regard than bags from companies more on the photography side.
I do a lot of walking and all ruck manufacturers bang on about airflow but I haven't seen any designs that truly provide an air free pocket.

I do a lot of walking and all ruck manufacturers bang on about airflow but I haven't seen any designs that truly provide an air free pocket.

The bag I posted above has open space between the padding and the padding is also meshed. Airflow is pretty good I would say, never get a sweaty back with it.

Screenshot 2024-01-09 165028.jpg

There are different designs, but I have found the best ones are where the bag is shaped so that the bulk is held away from your back - pads like that just get squashed.

+1 for the Manfrotto Off Road Hiker. I did a short review on my website back in 2018. Bought from WEX. But they don't sell it any more

interesting alternative is Ortlieb Atrack .. it's avail in 3 volumes: 25/35/45 Litres .. there are some videos on youtube reviewing that (for example this one) .. I have middle (35L) version and I use it with f-stop ICU insert .. I like the bag very much however for an overnight hike it's too small and for one day hike it's relatively big (to fit there camera and just everything) so I would recommend instead either the small one (25) for one day hike OR bigger one (45) for overnighter ... This bag doesn't have an ergonomics of pure camera backpacks with backside access but it stands out in how reliable it is, you can undergo any adventure in any conditions with it and it has very solid carrying system, you can adjust the back length and it is very very comfortable ...

All or most nylon packs are pretty crap at keeping moisture from the rain out, if you're off in seriously wet weather for any length of time. From the off, the weakness is in the seams. The more seams, the worse it gets. So much for all those fancy pockets and other marketing gizmos. And no wonder that some makers tout their packs as having the poncy fiddle of unfurling 'raincovers'. Lowepro, I'm looking at you - but you're not the only one. Who wants to fiddle with extra stuff like that whilst out in bad weather, even more when it blocks your access to the sac interior when you want something? Which it does!

The second & longer term weakness is that for the body of the sac, a nylon fabric isn't inherently waterproof, and relies on an internal coating being applied - a thin layer of rubbery plastic. And what happens? In use this layer suffers abrasion & flexing, and soon rubs away. It was a cheap fix. The sac wears out in waterproofing terms before the sac itself has worn out. So much for sustainability!

The best packs I ever had were Macpacs (made in NZ), but I don't even know if they exist anymore. They used a cotton / nylon thread to make uncoated fabrics (trademarked 'Aztec'), & I'm still using packs I bought new 35yrs ago. The principle was that the cotton fibres in the mix swelled when wet & occluded the gaps. They weren't completely waterproof, but were the most natively water-resistant packs I've ever had. What is completely waterproof - Ortlieb? But I was hillgoing, not kayaking.

The camera would be in its own container within. Again, not completely waterproof in itself, but in practice a second layer of defence that worked. If the weather was benign, the camera in its pouch could emerge & be worn cross-body over neck & shoulder for fast access, without risk of slipping off and falling 1000ft down the hill.

Diverging from the core topic into the realm of camera bags, what could be more water resistant than a Billingham? It's not just in their laminated fabric, it's in the hooded lids. But maybe it doesn't rain much where you live, and never horizontally. ;-)

Last edited:
Back