Backpacking Europe.

Name
Luke
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone done this, any experiences to share etc...

It's something I need to do, I've always wanted to and now I have the money and time, I just need to plan and execute it.

depends on lots of things but key things I Found...

Travel light - I know its said a lot and its tempting to take toys and gadgets, but when you don't know where your going and your trying to read a map and extra weight soon adds up.

Don't be afraid to travel on your own - This is to some degree a personal option but you will see more things, meet more people and have less arguments this way.

Don't plan if you don't have to - If you have everything planned you wont have time to discover anything or just go with the flow, by all means have targets but the freedom of saying " I like it here ill stay for a week" is amazing. Too many people are in a rush to visit or see everything and they don't experience anything.

Don't live life for a lens - As a tog its all too tempting to snap and walk on as with the above comment really.

Last edited:
Don't live life for a lens - As a tog its all too tempting to snap and walk on as with the above comment really.

Aha, that's something I'm a little concerned by. I was jotting down some things last night, what to take etc... And my 7D and 100-400 was top of the list every time, not a lightweight combo by any means....

accommodation wise, I was thinking youth hostels would be best. Cheap and basic, it's all I need. The other alternative was camping... not sure about that.

hostels in europe are nothing like ours, there often VERY nice places to be, some of the ones ive been to in france are better than some BnB's over here!

That's excellent news. I've been to a few here and they aren't great, but they aren't horrific either. I will be sleeping with my backpack strapped to me, nobody's taking my camera!

Best methods of travel in continental Europe? I'm assuming train?

I did 8 months in Asia, I didn't organise anything other than a one way plane ticket. Asia is quite a bit cheaper than europe but the same principles would apply...

Get yourself a few Lonely Planet, Rough Guide books or spend a couple of weekends in the library planning your route and what it is you want to see.

Accomodation you could play by ear, or if you're doing it solo and want to meet people there are plenty of websites around that have people who offer a room/sofa for the night, or use hostels - most euro ones are pretty good.

Public transport is pretty good all over europe compared to the UK.

I did 8 months in Asia, I didn't organise anything other than a one way plane ticket. Asia is quite a bit cheaper than europe but the same principles would apply...

Get yourself a few Lonely Planet, Rough Guide books or spend a couple of weekends in the library planning your route and what it is you want to see.

Accomodation you could play by ear, or if you're doing it solo and want to meet people there are plenty of websites around that have people who offer a room/sofa for the night, or use hostels - most euro ones are pretty good.

Public transport is pretty good all over europe compared to the UK.

You don't have to book hostels in advance or anything do you?

You don't have to book hostels in advance or anything do you?

Depends where you are, and how popular they are, generally no but its good to book the day before or at least first thing on the morning you plan to arrive.

as for your 7D & 100 - 400, I would advise well against.
How do you treat your gear? are you happy to leave it unattended in a hostel? remember some insurance wont cover unless you can either see it or its in a safe. Because your other option is to carry it 24/7, you'll soon get tired off it.

Im mainly a landscape kind of person anyway, but I think you'll get much more use from 24 -105 / 17-40.

I think you need to decide is it a togging trip or is it cultural/holiday/...

Depends where you are, and how popular they are, generally no but its good to book the day before or at least first thing on the morning you plan to arrive.

as for your 7D & 100 - 400, I would advise well against.
How do you treat your gear? are you happy to leave it unattended in a hostel? remember some insurance wont cover unless you can either see it or its in a safe. Because your other option is to carry it 24/7, you'll soon get tired off it.

Im mainly a landscape kind of person anyway, but I think you'll get much more use from 24 -105 / 17-40.

That's the thing its so heavy... I don't think I'l be taking the 100-400.

Its a togging/general trip, nothing specific, and I want a couple of months at the least. I think 7D + 17-55f2.8.... And I might buy something like a 70-300 IS/USM. Sure it won't be as good as the 100-400 but its a damn sight lighter... Not sure kit wise what I'l take.

I treat my gear very good, and I wouldn't want to let it leave my side at any time.

That's the thing its so heavy... I don't think I'l be taking the 100-400.

Its a togging/general trip, nothing specific, and I want a couple of months at the least. I think 7D + 17-55f2.8.... And I might buy something like a 70-300 IS/USM. Sure it won't be as good as the 100-400 but its a damn sight lighter... Not sure kit wise what I'l take.

I treat my gear very good, and I wouldn't want to let it leave my side at any time.

Well I know I couldn't do it, I don't mind leaving my 400D in a hostel sometimes when I feel its safe and carried it about 60% of the time. But having a heavy SLR (400D 510grms 7D 820grms) 24/7 for 2 months is my idea of a nightmare. All day everyday, night out in town, relaxed dinner with friends all with a heavy bag... no thanks.

Well I know I couldn't do it, I don't mind leaving my 400D in a hostel sometimes when I feel its safe and carried it about 60% of the time. But having a heavy SLR (400D 510grms 7D 820grms) 24/7 for 2 months is my idea of a nightmare. All day everyday, night out in town, relaxed dinner with friends all with a heavy bag... no thanks.

Argh... Do hostels not have lockers?

You could try something like http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=48 when travelling I didn't see anyone using one, but the theory is sound. I don't know how many people who backpack carry bolt croppers with them. A lot of big rail/bus stations in Europe have large secure lockers, you can rent per day/week.

Having said the above, plenty of people who travel do carry expensive kit around with them such as cameras and laptops, aside from your main pack, get a smaller good quality backpack and keep your day to day gear (camera/lens etc) in that, soon enough you won't notice it - getting used to constantly packing, moving, carrying, unpacking - you'll hardly notice a small pack with you.

You could try something like http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=48 when travelling I didn't see anyone using one, but the theory is sound. I don't know how many people who backpack carry bolt croppers with them. A lot of big rail/bus stations in Europe have large secure lockers, you can rent per day/week.

Having said the above, plenty of people who travel do carry expensive kit around with them such as cameras and laptops, aside from your main pack, get a smaller good quality backpack and keep your day to day gear (camera/lens etc) in that, soon enough you won't notice it - getting used to constantly packing, moving, carrying, unpacking - you'll hardly notice a small pack with you.

That looks pretty good, but Id still be paranoid about leaving several thousand pounds of kit in it!

I was thinking train stations etc... Have lockers. The smaller day bag seems the best idea.

Back