Backup advice

Edit My Images
Yes
hi I do all my photo work on a MacBook Pro and save my pictures when I have edited them to documents which then saves them in iCloud
this works well as it automatically syncs to my iPad and phone
this can have drawbacks though as I found out this morning, if I accidentally edit a photo on my iPad it syncs with all my devices and overwrites the original photo on my laptop, it would also do the same if I accidentally delete a folder
I do also backup to several hard drives at home and with a family member so was able to recover the origanal picture
it’s made me realise that I need an additional cloud storage solution
so something that is on my laptop that automatically updates and saves to the cloud should be perfect
my confusion is that if I make a mistake and delete something or overwrite a picture will the cloud backup program then also delete or overwrite what is in cloud storage as well
I also do have an older pc so could run the backup from that but would be more hassle
what backup setup do people use for apple Macs ?

Why not just use Time Machine?
but if it has to be cloud based then I recommend Backblaze.

thanks yes am looking for something cloud based as a plan b
will look at Backblaze
I was worried about if I have something that will backup automatically and delete a folder for example by mistake the backup software will also delete that folder on its server but I just need to turn off automatic backup and just maybe turn it on once a day
Im not very technically minded so just want something straight forward

Just looked at the Backblaze site it looks perfect for what I need and can set it to backup once a day so shouldn’t have any issues
also can backup external drives which is great as I will also be able to backup all my raw files
edit , Backblaze installed and running
thanks again ecoleman :)

Last edited:
Just looked at the Backblaze site it looks perfect for what I need and can set it to backup once a day so shouldn’t have any issues
also can backup external drives which is great as I will also be able to backup all my raw files
edit , Backblaze installed and running
thanks again ecoleman :)
I use Backblaze on my PC, and it saved the day when my Data SSD failed without warning (and I'd failed to do a local backup after the last couple of editing sessions).
The recovery process was quite slow and laborious - however they have revamped it since then - I've not had to use it since the revamp, so can't say how good/bad it is now.

thanks yes am looking for something cloud based as a plan b.
IMHO there's a reasonable case that if you already have a cloud solution, plan b should be based on different media. Time Machine is very simple and effective; deleting a file on any device will NOT result in it being deleted from your Time Machine backup. I have a few USB-based hard drives, at least one at home and at least one at another location I visit a few times a year. I just get out my USB drive when the Mac is on power, plug it in, and away it goes making a backup, while I carry on doing something else (responding to this, for example).

I prefer not to leave it connected permanently, just in case I pick up some ransomware from somewhere, which would likely encrypt any connected drives as well as the main one. I don't know how safe cloud storage is against ransomware attacks.

I use Backblaze on my PC, and it saved the day when my Data SSD failed without warning (and I'd failed to do a local backup after the last couple of editing sessions).
The recovery process was quite slow and laborious - however they have revamped it since then - I've not had to use it since the revamp, so can't say how good/bad it is now.
Thanks that’s good to hear that they are dependable , apparently now they have an option to send you a drive with your data on it if you don’t want to wait for the download

IMHO there's a reasonable case that if you already have a cloud solution, plan b should be based on different media. Time Machine is very simple and effective; deleting a file on any device will NOT result in it being deleted from your Time Machine backup. I have a few USB-based hard drives, at least one at home and at least one at another location I visit a few times a year. I just get out my USB drive when the Mac is on power, plug it in, and away it goes making a backup, while I carry on doing something else (responding to this, for example).

I prefer not to leave it connected permanently, just in case I pick up some ransomware from somewhere, which would likely encrypt any connected drives as well as the main one. I don't know how safe cloud storage is against ransomware attacks.

thanks yes I also have several drives at home and one kept with family
Time Machine is a good idea though
although what I’m using at the moment ,iCloud, for cloud backup is easy to use and handy as it syncs across all my device's I’m a bit nervous about it now as if I make a changeby mistake or delete a folder it instantly syncs across all my devices including my laptop , at least with backblaze if I understand how it works it keeps everythingfor 30 days so if I mess up I can get it back

Thanks that’s good to hear that they are dependable , apparently now they have an option to send you a drive with your data on it if you don’t want to wait for the download
Yes, that was an option for me, but I've got a fast broadband connection, and work from home, so could just download another chunk of data at regular intervals through the day to get it done without having to pay extra :)

I use the 3-2-1 method, you should have at least 3 copies of your data, on 2 different media and 1 off site.

I do all my editing on a MacBook Pro, so for me this looks like:
  • Everything synced to iCloud/Adobe cloud - can access files on my other Mac or iPhone.
  • Time Machine back up to my NAS - this works anywhere on my local network. This gives me point in time recovery, e.g. protection against accidental deletions/my own stupidity.
  • Once a week, or after any shoots, I use CCCloner to make a clone of the main drive on my MacBook. This gets stored away from the house, in a Peli case.
I have a separate backup routine in place for my raw files.

out of interest do people keep all their Raws (raw files straight off memory cards) as well ?
I always have as it means that I can go back and re edit them in the future
it does mean that I’ve got a lot of files on external hard drives though
I go through the images from the previous week or so and pick out the best ones and just keep those, still a lot of images in the summer when I’m focus stacking macro shots

out of interest do people keep all their Raws (raw files straight off memory cards) as well ?
I always have as it means that I can go back and re edit them in the future
it does mean that I’ve got a lot of files on external hard drives though
I go through the images from the previous week or so and pick out the best ones and just keep those, still a lot of images in the summer when I’m focus stacking macro shots
Yes. I copy them to my NAS as I import to Lightroom, then back up to the cloud and offsite.

Backblaze is running its initial backup looks like it will take a while but that’s expected I guess
Am going to get the pictures and videos that are on my laptop hardrive backed up first , about 400 GB then an external hard drive that I’ll use for Backblaze with raw images
The Backblaze backup is slightly glitchy unfortunately randomly stops pause’s itself
Apparently according to backblaze FAQ its files that are user protected , I have contacted thier help team hopefully they can help

Back