Backup solution for holiday?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm looking for a solution to back up photos whilst on holiday. I have a USB powered external HDD and would like to copy photos off SD and micro SD cards using my Android phone. I don't want to take a laptop.

I want to plug both the SD card and HDD into the phone at the same time and copy files straight across. I want to avoid having to copy to the phone then phone to HDD.

I thought a USB hub would achieve this but I haven't found a product that will do what I need, as it'll need power the hub too...

Any ideas please?
Thanks!

That sounds terribly complicated.
Just take a selection of cards and change them regularly. One per day if you can manage the cost.

What is the chance of a series of good quality cards going belly up if you treat them correctly?

Of course you can do it your way but what is the back up for that. Once you start believing that systems will fail then you can never have enough back ups.

As above, cards are cheap, unless you’re away for months, more cards is cheap and easy.

Hi all,

I'm looking for a solution to back up photos whilst on holiday. I have a USB powered external HDD and would like to copy photos off SD and micro SD cards using my Android phone. I don't want to take a laptop.

I want to plug both the SD card and HDD into the phone at the same time and copy files straight across. I want to avoid having to copy to the phone then phone to HDD.

I thought a USB hub would achieve this but I haven't found a product that will do what I need, as it'll need power the hub too...

Any ideas please?
Thanks!
If you have a D7100 you could buy a cheaper slower large capacity SD card and use the D7100 to copy and transfer the images across (it has a copy and transfer function in the camera). Shoot as backup to two cards and make a third copy if you are really worried. A third large SD card is much easier than hardrives, phone and cables, and much smaller to.

Last edited:
Cards here too. You work out an estimate of what capacity you might need, and provide accordingly. Cards are robust and very portable. Almost as good as film!

I've done this, just to prove it works. I used a USB 3 hub, card reader and external mSATA drive. The phone's connected via On-The-Go and USB cables and the black lump on the right is a power-bank to drive the whole thing (except the phone which won't charge through an OTG cable). The drive needs to be formatted as exFAT rather than NTFS or the phone just doesn't see it. I only needed to buy the OTG cable as I had the rest.

DSC00248.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all. I don't want to take the DSLR with me to avoid spending all holiday with it. Plus that gives me an excuse to upgrade my compact to an RX100 before I go! Thanks Snapsh0t that's exactly the solution I was looking for. I'll try to find that type of hub. Although you've all got me thinking about more SD cards now...!

That hub's quite old so new ones might well be better and there seem to be plenty of them at sensible prices at e.g. Scan. I have a strong suspicion that if you went for a large Flash drive rather than an HDD/SSD then the phone would power the lot so you'd have a much neater package.

I've done this, just to prove it works. I used a USB 3 hub, card reader and external mSATA drive. The phone's connected via On-The-Go and USB cables and the black lump on the right is a power-bank to drive the whole thing (except the phone which won't charge through an OTG cable). The drive needs to be formatted as exFAT rather than NTFS or the phone just doesn't see it. I only needed to buy the OTG cable as I had the rest.

DSC00248.jpg
I can just imagine trying to get through the airport with that lot.............:)

I have been thinking about looking at different options too. As quite a few have said take lots of cards. I have also looked at the WD wireless pro, a bit expensive but an nice all in one solution, just use a smart phone or tablet if you want to view the files. The third option which works out a little bit cheaper is to get a something like the Ravpower fileplus server router again using an app you pt the card into the unit and attach a portable had drive to copy the files across too, There are a few similar I have seen one from Kingston and a few others just means carrying a few small bits with you.

For me it is not really a case of not having enough memory cards unless I shot a lot of time-lapse it was more a case of just having a back-up as being away for a few weeks, As I keep my full cards separate from the ones I am still to use. Got a few weeks before I go so a bit more thinking time!

I couldn't find a turn key solution to travel storage and wound up with an iMac pro.

I can't believe I just typed that.

I have been thinking about looking at different options too. As quite a few have said take lots of cards. I have also looked at the WD wireless pro, a bit expensive but an nice all in one solution, just use a smart phone or tablet if you want to view the files. The third option which works out a little bit cheaper is to get a something like the Ravpower fileplus server router again using an app you pt the card into the unit and attach a portable had drive to copy the files across too, There are a few similar I have seen one from Kingston and a few others just means carrying a few small bits with you.

I went on a 2 week safari holiday recently. D500 and D810 with me. Took enough XQD and CF high capacity cards to switch out every day with a smaller number of SD cards. Bought a WD Wireless Pro. Everything shot as backup to second card, RAW + jpg

Every night (thousands of images, many many of them sh*t I admit) backed up from the SD cards to the WD Pro- it kept track of incremental backups, which card, dates, etc. XQD and CF cards then went into the important stuff travel bag with the passports, SD card recycled for use again. 64Gb card, 10 mins or so on WD Wireless Pro for backup. Can access the WD Pro with Ipad after loading for a look see.

I had a Kingston and an external HD previously which was slow but this, for me, was the best most relaxed method of backing up with confidence I've found. Plenty of cards can be a backup solution provided your camera has 2 card slots and you keep both cards seperated. The Wireless Pro and it;s ilk gives you the same images in 2 or 3 different places - that for me is a real backup solution.

If you have a chat with any IT professional, they'll tell you that you only really appreciate the money spent on a backup solution when things go wrong- up till then it's an unnecessary expensive insurance policy that is always questioned as to its value.

Two cards in the camera, one for back up also card reader with micro usb used for back up to Galaxy tablet with 128gb micro sd expanded memory.

Simple and doesn't take long in the evening, also nice to flick through the days photos on something bigger than the rear lcd

For the OP guess this would work equally well on a phone using micro sd cards

Last edited:
Back