Backup system

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm currently looking at setting up my new MBP and also upgrading my backup system. I currently use WD passport ultra but not overly impressed with it as sometimes it says its all backed up but I know this is incorrect. I'm hopeless when it comes to computer so that's why I need advice. I quite like the idea of cloud/NAS working in the background with another external hard drive plugged into it backing up also. What advice could you guys give me on this or different options. Like I said not the best with computers so any advice would be much appreciated

I use the windows built in backup program obscurely called File History together with an external drive as main backup.
Never had a problem with the combination and it's seen me through two hard driven crashes.
Recently added a monthly manual offline drive as security against encription malware.

If you're buying a new machine it's always a good idea to create a repair disk and a system image so if it ever goes belly up you have a complete fallback to the original settings.

This is different to System Restore in that it also means you can transfer your whole system to another HDD - but NOT to another computer.

Just go to Control Panel and then to Backup & Restore.

Then click on "Create a system image" and follow the instructions.

You will also need to create a repair disk to start the process.

That gives you a final backup in case of the dreaded BSOD.

You could also use Double Driver, an excellent and FREE program which will get all the drivers on your machine so if you ever need to you can restore them with a minimum of fuss:

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/6179-double-driver.html

Just burn them to a CD and keep them somewhere safe.

Then you have protected your OS against a major crash.:)

If you have decent broadband I would suggest cloud all the way.
I use Hubic and for about £42/year you get 10TB including folder synch and full backups with a massive company.

it realy is fit and forget

Are you on fiber?

You will always get good and bad reviews of any company I have been with them for about 4 years now and never an issue and bear in mind £42/year for 10TBs is very good value.

One or two people babble on about the data not being encrypted within their data centre and performance outside of Europe is poor.
they use 3x data centres based in france all linked, so your data is in all 3 (after replication)
personally I think they are very good indeed.

Back