Backup WAN for Asus Router

Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice from those that are more tech savvy than I am. I'm comfortable setting up a backup WAN using a mobile phone plugged in via USB into my Asus router. However, I was wondering if there is a way for me to restrict which devices can utilise the backup WAN. For example if my primary WAN drops, I would want my home automation devices to still connect but netflix, computers, tablets etc to be restricted so that I don't kill the data on my backup SIM. Thus far, I haven't found any content on this online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't see anything in my RT-AX86U that allows that level of dual-WAN configuration. Best place to ask is probably snbforums.com as that has dedicated sections for Asus routers.

When I had my Netgear 834G router I recall it had the function to set up 'up to 5 guest accesses' to control usages.

However, I wonder in your case there may be per device and/or service controls.

I found reference here about restricting Netflix to WiFi only https://help.netflix.com/en/node/87
But as you are talking about, in effect, WiFi router fallback, I have no idea how the device or service would recognise that the router has switched to the fallback metered data operation?

Perhaps that is if some help :thinking:

Back