Bad fall 1

Name
martin
Edit My Images
No
Bad fall 1

Last Sunday I went to the Gower show, as I had no events booked in that day, as that week the event I was covering was on the Saturday (Gower Triathlon).I took my camera a few lenses (as you do) to the show. My wife wanted to watch the show jumping – so I thought why not? – I wanted to test out a lens so I had the 300mm f4 with me, so I put that on the camera and settled down to take the odd picture of riders

In front of me was a wall the riders had to jump and a few riders had some problems then this happened:

BF1 #1
tusk9508.jpg

BF1 #2
tusk9519.jpg

BF1 #3
tusk9520.jpg

BF1 #4
tusk9523.jpg

BF1 #5
tusk9527.jpg

After the above photos my camera ran out of memory and I had to change cards – at this point the horse ran around dragging the little girl around, nearly stepping on her a few times, she finally got free and I had changed my card by this time but the first photo was way out of focus
BF1 #6
tusk9528.jpg

BF1 #7
tusk9534.jpg

She was bruised and very frightened – her dad (I think) ran on the field and picked her up and ran out of the field with her

BF1 #8
tusk9538.jpg

The medics were on the scene very quickly and seemed unimpressed with the dad’s actions and there was “a discussion about his actions …”

BF1 #9
tusk9593.jpg

This was a good lesson for me - a good action opportunity can crop up at any time - so can a good news story - these photos have much less news value due to the girl being ok (thankfully), and the father and the medics calming down

Last edited:
She was very lucky there, I hate those boots as the tread is too thick and grippy IMO to be safe if you do get dropped. Glad she was just shaken though.

Good set of pics (y)

I should think the medics were exceedingly unimpressed by dads actions.

There was potential for a spinal injury and the casualty should not have been moved until checked out or the neck immobilized.

Paternal Instincts steps in .. anything less from her dad and I would question his devotion. Against all logic and common sense ... a parent's reflexes step in!

That aside, she is a very lucky girl to comeout of all that the way she has; and a great series of shots, if I may say (especially no. 6).

Paternal Instincts steps in .. anything less from her dad and I would question his devotion. Against all logic and common sense ... a parent's reflexes step in!

That aside, she is a very lucky girl to comeout of all that the way she has; and a great series of shots, if I may say (especially no. 6).

then the parental instincts and devotion need re-educating.

His daughter is involved in a dangerous sport and he needs to know how to respond correctly.

Devotion is useless if you kill them.

Not trying to be callous. I am a parent, but I do know what is the right response.

Last edited:
then the parental instincts and devotion need re-educating.

His daughter is involved in a dangerous sport and he needs to know how to respond correctly.

Devotion is useless if you kill them.

Not trying to be callous. I am a parent, but I do know what is the right response.

Agree.

If the girl had spinal injury, it could have been worsened by her dad's action.

I'm glad the girl was OK.

Back