Bad way to end the year

Z

Zetec

Yesterday my D3000 deicided that is was going to not auto focus at all. I took 2 shots that were no good at all then it would not fire. The strangest part is that the shutter will fire with no lens on then when you put a lens on it won't fire at all. The lens is OK as it was tried on a different body. So look likes I kinda of get my excuse to upgrade no Nikon do need to pull their socks up and release the D300's replacement.

Tried cleaning the contacts?
Checked the lens is firmly in place, sometimes it just needs a little click further to engage?

I tried making sure the lens is on properly plus I tried a different lens I wiped the contacts with a cloth. I then took it to Camera World and the assistant who first looked at it tried the lens on a camera from their display cabnit and it worked fine. And she was puzzled so another assistant had a look and he tried cleaning the contacts with some cleaner and still nothing plus he tried my 50mm on it like I had but nothing good happened.

They tried your lens on one of their display cameras but didnt try one of their lenses on your camera?

Have I missed something? From what I gather they tried your lens on another body, cleaned the contacts and then shrugged and gave up?

:thinking::shrug:

They didn't try one of theirs lenses as we used one of mine Alex.

I know it's a cliche these days but have you tried leaving the batteries out of it for a few hours and trying again?

If I were in your shoes I'd attempt a firmware replacement before I chucked it.

Good luck with it.

Sorry to hear about your demise, Richard but I might be interested in buying if you don't have any joy with it.

I am in Essex, too

Last edited:
Just out of interest, is the above post within the rules?

I felt it likely that its OK to show interest but we would need to go to the classified to do it properly in accordance with the rules but if I am wrong then hopefully the Mods will remove it and I won't get into TOO much trouble as its a new year.:)

I have not tried leaving the batteries out of it. And as the camera worked fine the last time I used it I am unsure how a firmware update would help (not being funny Trevor I am not an electronics person ). Terry I did try to phone somewhere yesterday to see about getting it looked at. Where in Essex are you roughly I am not not far from Chelmsford. And you will be first to know the news about how dead it is do you mind me asking why you would be after a half dead camera Terry.

Hi Richard,

Not wishing to give anyone else any ideas :( and it might upset you to know but I want to mount an old camera in a bird box for some wildlife shots, either on a timed shutter release or on a manual release.

I would also hope to remove the screen and separate it from the body and put that on a long wire (To view remotely).

I MIGHT be able to take yours apart and cure the problem but these things have a habit of not re-assembling too prettily but that suits my purpose.

I am near to Southend.

Good luck, incidentally.

I would prefer that you got your problem sorted but it'll go to a good use if not. :)

Last edited:
Terry I will be phoning Ilseley Photographic up on Tuesday and will drop it of there when I can which may not be until Thursday. I do hope that the problem can be fixed as it has done me proud. And I'll let you know the out come when I know what they say.

Thanks Richard.
I note that you 'Wiped the contacts with a cloth' ??

What you meant to say, of course was that you, Sprayed window cleaner onto the cloth till quite damp and rubbed the contacts and surrounding area on the camera .......... AND the contacts on the lens(es).

Contact cleaner (with or without deposit) will do, or if not plain switch cleaner.

Try that before taking it in.

Last edited:
James at Camera World tried contact cleaner and and still nothing.

Yesterday my D3000 deicided that is was going to not auto focus at all. I took 2 shots that were no good at all then it would not fire. The strangest part is that the shutter will fire with no lens on then when you put a lens on it won't fire at all. The lens is OK as it was tried on a different body. ........

James at Camera World tried contact cleaner and and still nothing.

Hi Richard

Have you tried another lens on your body ?

Don't know a lot about the Nikon menu system, but have you tried a factory reset ?

You say the lens won't auto-focus, will the camera take a shot, if you put the lens to manual focus and obtain a focus that way. I know on my body, in certain settings, if I have not obtained a focus, the camera won't fire ???

Yes I have Andy I tried my 50mm and did reset it. It won't auto focus at all but will foucs manully but still won't release the shutter with a lens mounted but will release the shutter without a lens.

Zetec said:
Yes I have Andy I tried my 50mm and did reset it. It won't auto focus at all but will foucs manully but still won't release the shutter with a lens mounted but will release the shutter without a lens.

Does sound like a body malfunction then. Difficult decision now is whether it's worth a repair or sell on as faulty and upgrade. Personally, I think I'd be looking to upgrade.

I felt it likely that its OK to show interest but we would need to go to the classified to do it properly in accordance with the rules but if I am wrong then hopefully the Mods will remove it and I won't get into TOO much trouble as its a new year.:)

(y) Indeed.
If there is any intention to sell the camera Richard will need to set up a sales thread in classifieds and any discussion / negotiations will need to take place in there.

Since it's in the context of the conversation, I think it's OK to suggest that "if you were thinking of selling and if you decide to start up a thread in classifieds I'll be interested and I'll come along to have a look" as you've already done - but please no discussion of prices or anything further to do with a potential sale in here.

As said, hopefully it'll be an easy fix and it won't be necessary anyway - Good luck with it Richard.

Andy my plan was to upgrade this year but I was waiting for Nikon to replace the D300s and still use my D3000 until then but thats out the window now.

Thank you Sarah don't worry if I do sell I will be a good boy and do it properly and put a thread up in classifieds.

Zetec said:
Andy my plan was to upgrade this year but I was waiting for Nikon to replace the D300s and still use my D3000 until then but thats out the window now..

Oh, have you had it looked at ?

If you mean the D3000 no I am going to take it somewhere Saturday morning. If you mean the D300 replacement only speculation stuff on the net and I only take that with a pinch of salt.

Zetec said:
If you mean the D3000 no I am going to take it somewhere Saturday morning. If you mean the D300 replacement only speculation stuff on the net and I only take that with a pinch of salt.

Yes meant the D3000. Hopefully you can get it sorted on Saturday

I hope it can be sorted I can continue to use until I get a D7000 or the D300 is replaced plus I am a bit lost now without. I was going to start a little project that involed using my flash gun so I learn how to use it more so it becomes more natural and second nature. But that will be started the moment I get a camera until then the project will be in my head.

News on the camera is that is being repaired but I am still going to upgrade

Back