Bad Year for Barn Owls

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm sure most keen wildlife watchers are aware of this, but for anyone that "dabbles" please be aware it has been an absolutely awful year for barnies. I knew it was going to be bad by the number of daylight sightings in late winter/early spring, but certainly down these parts we're looking at around 5% of the expected level of successful broods :(

As well as being down in the number of broods, barn owls have bred later and nest sites may still be active now - so although we're into September please give them plenty of space and avoid disturbance at all costs.

Much as I like a good bit of cold weather, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a mild and dry winter this year. Our barnies need it!

My barnies failed to nest this year, the wood next to the barn has had heavy work all summer, they still live in there, but I don`t think they had any young this year.

They`ll be ok for next year.

****e here for them this year as well. I really wanted to brush up on last year's shots!

No problems around my area, first brood was only a week later than last year (22/07) and the adults are back trying for another.
Two other sites have had the birds move out of the boxes but they did stay local and one pair are back in a old site that hasn't had Barn Owls for the last 3 years.
They obviously move with the food so it doesn't always mean bad news, this year has had perfect overnight conditions for hunting owls and i have noticed that they are coming out later and not so good for photography but still great to watch.

Back