Badgers, including an Erythristic Badger

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
The quality of some of these images isn't fantastic, and more than a little noisy. I am sure you will appreciate that by the time these wonderful creatures appeared, the light was less than ideal for photography.
Its taken me a long time, but I have finally found a set where the badgers come out at a reasonable hour, and I can get close without being detected. So far I have indentified 6 individuals, including the erythristic one.
Looking forward to hopefully photographing the cubs when they emerge.

DSC_0493_zpszm0yz6cq.jpg

DSC_0525_zpszikdp1cx.jpg

DSC_0588_zpsundmhbql.jpg

DSC_0656_zpsbozoldzj.jpg

DSC_1703edit2_zpsnwqhiq7f.jpg

It does look like your patience paid off with this cette :)

Do please outline the "how you set up got them..." Also as you have shown both frame fillers as well more 'in their environment' ones do give a lens rundown :)

A very good set.... I'm wondering if that 'red' badger has a vision problem with that left eye ...

Any shot of a badger in the light they tend to come out in is a positive and I know how long it takes to get them. So a well done from me.

Excellent work Tony patience definitely paid off look forward to seeing more of these in the future

Do please outline the "how you set up got them..." Also as you have shown both frame fillers as well more 'in their environment' ones do give a lens rundown :)

After many visits to a number of sets that I know, I settled on this particular set, because of the relatively short vegetation, and close vantage point, that I can quietly retreat from when I'm done without disturbing them . I can remain well hidden only 15 - 20 feet away, in 3 directions. I choose a vantage point downwind. This particular set they have been coming out around 7.45pm - 8pm . I've been arriving about an hour before , and seeding the area up with peanuts, before settling in to wait. Kit wise, I've been shooting with my D7100, in conjunction with either a sigma 70-200 f2.8 or a Nikon 50mm f1.8 . Image No. 5 was shot with 50mm in very dark conditions, the badger was less than 8 feet away from me and pretty certain it knew I was there but seemed unbothered, and was more interested in peanuts. Four of the others did catch my scent on the wind though and went scampering away, before cautiously coming back. Massive , massive grin factor, watching and photographing these wonderful creatures.

Fab to see them in daylight, well done. We have a sett on our farm and I have a trailcam on there most nights and ours are coming out around 8.20pm but last night was after 9pm so no photo opportunities yet.

some excellent work Tony, are these recent as it must have been freezing sitting in one place for hours.

some excellent work Tony, are these recent as it must have been freezing sitting in one place for hours.

The past two Friday evenings , so its been fine. Hopefully this years cubs will come out soon with the adults. I'm keeping my visits down to just once a week. I don't want them to get used to me.

Hi Tony, these are smashing images and looking forward to seeing more especially of the cubs.

Back