Bag choices for landscape

Edit My Images
No
I enjoy walking in the fells & normally carry my waterproofs food, hydration bladder etc now I've got a dslr my current bag won't be sufficient so I'm wondering what people use for long walks!

As well as my walking stuff I'll be carrying dslr and one lens, filter pouch, velbon ultra maxi L tripod.

I used to have a lowepro flipside sport 15l aw in Orange which I liked but they don't seem to be anywhere & new versions are dull colours!

I have a Manfrotto off-road, in a dapper shade of green (almost fluorescent ;)) - works ok as a day bag, plenty of useful pockets etc, decent straps and a separate padded part for camera and lens, will take a dslr and a couple of lenses (I've had a D810, a 24/70 and 70/200 f/4 in it). It isn't perfect but I haven't found one that is.

If you are doing proper walking a lot of people just get a proper rucksack and buy a slip in protective thing (forget their name right now).

Decent dedicated hiking camera backpacks are generally very expensive and often not great at the hiking bit. That said, I do like my Lowepro Photosport which did very well in Alaska.

Thanks I did wonder if perhaps it's better to get a walking backpack..

If you are doing proper walking a lot of people just get a proper rucksack and buy a slip in protective thing (forget their name right now).

Decent dedicated hiking camera backpacks are generally very expensive and often not great at the hiking bit. That said, I do like my Lowepro Photosport which did very well in Alaska.
While the expensive part is true I actually find both my F-stop bags good for all-day walk-around photography. I have the Tilopa BC and the Guru and they both have proper hip belts and shoulder straps for their size and capacity.

In my guru I fit a small PRO ICU with Sony A6000, 12, 24 and 60mm lenses, 10+16mm extensiontubes, extra Sony battery, 4x4 AA Eneloops, 2x Godox TT685 + X1 and 2x plastic domes, camera remote radio trigger, a few gels and some small accessories. That leaves some room for fleece, headlamp flashlight food etc. Tight packed though.
Or an medium slope ICU with Mamiya RZ67 PROII, back, 50, 127 and 180mm lenses Lee filter kit and film. Less room for clothes food etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh forgot the seconic flashmate 308B in both configurations :)

Edit

My Tilopa mostly is fitted with a large Pro ICU containing my chamonix 45F1, lenses and DD'S but right now I have 2 small PRO's in it the one with my A6000 described above and the other with the AD 360 and accessories. I could probably fit two AD 360 in the ICU if I think hard about how to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go for a normal rucksack too. The "bay" has quite a few padded inserts for sale but often I find I'll wear the camera over my neck and shoulder when I'm walking or just wrap it in the spare clothing (or even sometimes a bit of bubble wrap) and put in the rucksack.

Dave

Yeah I've switched to using the Mammut Trion Pro and an insert. Not cheap but half the price or say the fstop gear backpacks

Normal walking rucksack, camera in its usual holster pouch, any filters also in their own normal pouch. Everything's well protected - the only thing I never carry is a tripod. I would never carry a camera round my neck, having once taken a nose dive down a steep rock strewn hill with nearly 30lb on my back after a slip on ice.

After a bit of looking I think this Lowe Alpine Hike 30 looks like a good option

https://lowealpine.com/uk/airzone-hike-30

Loads of pockets, easy access and I reckon space on sides or back to attach my tripod. Question now is colour! Black, red, green or blue? I'm thinking red or blue and leaning more towards red as I like the idea of being visible in the fells!

Rather than wrapping in clothing can get a neoprene sleeve for a tablet or laptop for a few quid and stick the camera in that, bit posher than bubble wrap:)

I would never carry a camera round my neck, having once taken a nose dive down a steep rock strewn hill with nearly 30lb on my back after a slip on ice.

Fair point. Depending on the terrain I tend to put the camera in the rucksack when I'm heading off a hill. Ice is always tricky, especially where the previous day's temperature has been high enough to let water ooze out of the hillside over a rock and freeze overnight to an almost invisible coating; but then walking over bogs in sub zero temperature is a delight. Hope your injuries weren't serious.

Dave

I've just bought a Mindshift backlight 26L.. It's incredibly comfy and hold all my kit and has space for drinks and waterproofs.

BUT

I think I bagged the last one in Europe...There are plenty of reviews on youtube

Fair point. Depending on the terrain I tend to put the camera in the rucksack when I'm heading off a hill. Ice is always tricky, especially where the previous day's temperature has been high enough to let water ooze out of the hillside over a rock and freeze overnight to an almost invisible coating; but then walking over bogs in sub zero temperature is a delight. Hope your injuries weren't serious.

Dave

Best time to go walking on Dartmoor is when the mires are frozen.
Fortunately I didn't smack my head on a rock, neither did I break the arm I fell on, though I thought I had. I was, as always, on my own.

I guess if your only carrying those few bits Ferj, then you should be ok with the backpacks you have chose and one of those inserts from flea bay. I have found that it's a good idea to have an insert with a handle stitched on the side of it then it's easy to grab hold of and drag out of the top of your sack. I tried an insert that was a top loader but it was a pain trying to get anything out of it when it was inside the rucksack. Mine is a rectangular insert with a handle. I like to try and keep my gear separated from anything that's going to leak all over the gear.
My biggest problem is the gear I carry on the hills plus the camera gear it amounts to a lot of kit.
As for commercial camera backpacks, I have 4 (a couple I was given) and none of them I would call the ideal soloution. Which is why I use a 40/5 mountain backpack + insert.

Note to all camera bag manufacturers! There are a lot of Landscape togs that climb and walk in the wilds. It's about time you thought about a bag that works! We don't need a 35 litre bag with 14 compartments to carry 2 bodies, 8 lenses and 10 filters. Those are ten a penny.
For me that would perfect is a proper rucksack, one half of the sac a camera bag (top half) and the bottom half for my kit. With proper shoulder straps and waste belt and if I'm really pushing my luck, make it extendable from say 40 to 45 or 50ltr. Straps for tripods, rope, or poles etc etc, how hard can it be?

I see people discuss this quest for a sac similar to the described time after time and the manufacturers still haven't got the message yet.

I did see a dirt cheap and very badly made backpack but it would have been perfect even the bottom compartment completely unzipped and was removable to half the size of it so it could be use a just a camera back pack.

Oops this has appeared to have turned into a rant sorry about that Ferj, I really only meant to say a backpack and insert is your best option:eek:

Never buy a rucksack online ... go to a store and try. What suits one person's back and body won't suit another. Not quite as bad as buying boots online but close!
Good point Eloise, I guess the best option would be to go try one on in store then buy on line if the on line price is cheaper. Oh and don't forget to put some weight in it when trying it on, they always feel different empty.

Good point Eloise, I guess the best option would be to go try one on in store then buy on line if the on line price is cheaper. Oh and don't forget to put some weight in it when trying it on, they always feel different empty.
Well except that philosophy will lead to the closure of the few remaining outdoor equipment shops. Most of the big chains will price match anyway.

My solution to a wild camp and landscape session is made up of a general LoweAlpine 65+15ltr rucksack and a Lowepro Slingshot 102AW stuffed horizontally in the bottom compartment, you need to squeeze the top pocket down a bit to fit but once out you can use that for remotes, batteries and cards etc. As its a mini rucksack its useful to scramble about the hills hands free whilst leaving the big sack and tent etc at base camp. I never set out to buy this as a solution, it was just the bags I already had and couldn't see an off-the-shelf package that worked any better.

Also with my other rucksacks walking Craghoppers 35l or LowePro Flipside 400 I often wish I had more straps or clips so I just buy small carabiners to hook into. For straps I buy 25mm webbing and side release buckles from Amazon and stitch up my own straps which I then feed through existing strapping, effectively attaching loops around the rucksack straps which I can clinch down. For example I used a self made webbing loop around the 400AW as I find the tripod foot holder and strap halfway up doesn't hold tripods firmly enough, so that strap wraps around the upper and hold the tripod firmly in place.

I notice Lowepro have now started adding molle webbing to some of their bags, about time too. Now you can add pouches/bags and straps. Military and tactical back packs have had this for a long time.

Well except that philosophy will lead to the closure of the few remaining outdoor equipment shops. Most of the big chains will price match anyway.
Yes I agree, I spread it around personally and it also depends who has got what in stock. But there is one outdoor store that seems to sell at exorbitant prices I used to use them, I'm amazed there branches stay open frankly.

As a matter of interest Mark what space do you have for gear when you flip this sack over mate?
I like the way that the back opens up on the shoulder strap side.
It's not loads but enough for a days hiking.
Jetboil (will fit down the side of the camera insert)
1L water
Food
Some extra clothing

And that's without expanding the top.
The front pocket has first aid, binoculars, waterproofs, bivvy bag and paracord.
The top (lid) has an assortment of random stuff including brew kit. As the bag is designed for Alpine skiers the sides are for skies but holds a tripod nicely. And if put it on the opposite side to where jetboil and water are, it kind of balances out the weight.

Last edited:
Cheers mate I'll have a look at that too then.... A man can't have too much gear you know:D:eek:

Finally decided to part with the money and got a Gregory Targhee 45L in size Large. Found out after I ordered it that this is the old version and there's a slightly newer version. Cost roughly £120 off ebay from US including import fees.

The insert I have is the same as MrDrizz's I think, just different colour. Inside is some of my film gear, Minolta Dynax 9 with grip and 80-200mm f/2.8.

Still experimenting with where to put what, but a tripod (manfrotto 055cxpro3) straps to the side very nicely, and this is the best backpack I've ever had in terms of comfort and fit. I'm 6' 3".

IMG_20170515_221338.jpg
IMG_20170515_221259.jpg

Last edited:
I have Lowe Pro Photo Sport 200 (orange - nice!). I think there is a bigger one available as well and Manfrotto do something similar. It's basically a normal hiking rucksack with a dedicated side entry camera storage area in the base. It is pretty good but.... as others have indicated, inserts into normal bags is a more flexible option. The Lowe pro works best as a day sack where you might just have a waterproof, some sarnies and maybe some water, and a small DSLR and a couple of lenses. If you need more camera gear or more hiking gear, you're stuck. So most of the time nowadays I pick from my selection of several normal rucksacks and put my camera in it's own padded case inside. Less elegant but works.

I have a Lowepro Whistler and I'm really pleased with it - plenty of room and opens at the back so the front goes on the floor when laid down which was one of the reasons I went for it. I got fed up of putting Nature Trekker sack down and ending up with wet straps.

Finally decided to part with the money and got a Gregory Targhee 45L in size Large. Found out after I ordered it that this is the old version and there's a slightly newer version. Cost roughly £120 off ebay from US including import fees.

The insert I have is the same as MrDrizz's I think, just different colour. Inside is some of my film gear, Minolta Dynax 9 with grip and 80-200mm f/2.8.

Still experimenting with where to put what, but a tripod (manfrotto 055cxpro3) straps to the side very nicely, and this is the best backpack I've ever had in terms of comfort and fit. I'm 6' 3".

View attachment 102172
View attachment 102173

I use a Gregory Z25, camera gear in an insert and tripod in one side pocket held in by the compression straps. The back support frame is excellent on these bags, had mine a while now and it's still in good nick.

View attachment 102172
View attachment 102173
Now that a decent bag bit is 45L big enough.

have been looking for a rucksack to store/carry my gear as it expands.
i would in the end like to be able to carry a dslr with a 150-600mm lens attached as well as some other lenses etc.
i would like a camera specific bag so the access and storage are more useful than a normal rucksack. lowepro seem to pop up as top on reviews - but also top price.
looking at something like the lowepro protactic 450aw or smaller.
any experience of this bag or alternatives?

For landscape trips I'm using a lowepro flipside 600aw, you'd need to check the length for 150-600 plus body but may well fit.

I have just bought a Lowepro 400aw. Big enough to fit my 7Dii and Sigma 150-600c.

Back