Bag recommendations please, gripped 5D & three lenses incl 100-400?

Edit My Images
Yes
Realistically, the shoulder bag I've used for the last ten years is not up to the task of carrying and protecting my kit through the rigours of transatlantic hand luggage travel. It's not up to being banged about in overhead storage and it will not accommodate all the kit I'm planning to take so whilst one option is to travel "bag-within-a-bigger-bag", my other option is to invest in a bigger and more generously padded bag to carry the following:

Gripped 5DII
16-35 L
50 1.4
100-400L
1.4 converter

maybe a laptop and power lead?

The body will travel in a neoprene slip and I can rustle up enough hard lens cases or thick neoprene zipped tubes for the lenses.

I'm pretty sure that I could spend forever and a day looking on the 'net and not fully cover everything that's available. You guys will know which makes and bags come well-regarded and some of you will carry this level of kit. I'm not looking for drop-proof but I'm looking for something with a practical / adequate level of padding.

At home my kit lives in a fairly old Lowepro Photo Trekker AW which is just a tad too big: well padded, flexible, tough but maybe just a bit too big.

Just a/some suggestion(s)

Lowepro Flipside 400AW (I think there is or was a 350AW model)........though not 100% sure if these will fit the cabin luggage limit as I think my 300AW was on the limit! But the sizes cases & bags I have seen that are taken onboard by other travellers are sometimes double the size of my Lowepro.

Just a/some suggestion(s)

Lowepro Flipside 400AW (I think there is or was a 350AW model)........though not 100% sure if these will fit the cabin luggage limit as I think my 300AW was on the limit! But the sizes cases & bags I have seen that are taken onboard by other travellers are sometimes double the size of my Lowepro.

Yes i should check out the size limits at the likely airlines. Appreciate your bag suggestions too.

I use the Lowepro Vertex 200 AW - quite heavy for it's capacity but it takes a laptop and is quite robust. Took mine to Canada in 2016, within BA carry on size allowance and it contained a 300 F2.8, 2 extenders, 24-70 F2.8, 16-35 F4 L IS, charger, couple of batteries and a 1DX. + a few odds and ends. It has a very comfortable harness system too.

Unfortunately it is now out of print but there are some on FleaBay (where mine came from) : https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...d=m570.l1313&_nkw=lowepro+vertex+200&_sacat=0

Also check out the Vertex 100, it might be ok for your needs.

.... Lowepro Flipside 400 AW II should just about do it but be tight if you want the gripped 5D to be packed mounted on the 100-400mm + 1.4x + lens hood mounted. I say this because I have just bought a 400 AW II and can just fit my 1DX-2 + 100-400mm II with lens hood. The bag has good pockets and a particularly practical lightweight tripod carrier.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/lowepro-flipside-aw-400-ii-review/

My Lowepro 450 AW II fits aircraft cabin lockers with a couple of bodies plus 500mm F/4L II and also 100-400mm L II, so the smaller 400 AW II should be fine.

I use a Manfrotto Professional Backpack 50. This will fit into the overhead lockers on a plane. This will carry a gripped canon body with a 100-400 lens also will carry a sigma 100-600 lens and still has room for other lenses and other equipment.

Back