Bags for CSC's

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking around for a bag for my EM1 and maybe 3-4 lenses max, oh, and the odd filter andspare battery etc. I think maybe a messenger style but not having much luck, I think my main problem is looking online and not being able to gauge size, I want it to be as small as possible but with enough space. Any recommendations much appreciated

I have a thinks tank retrospective 5. Holds 2 bodies with attached lenses attached quite snuggly. Also has another pocket in front that is big enough for a few round filters, batteries and cards. Very nice bag. But the size of bag you need will very much depend on which 3 or 4 lenses!

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on the retrospective, though mine is a 7, I can comfortably fit my x-pro 1 with 18-55, my x100t , 2 or 3 lenses, filters, batteries and an ipad. Plus it looks good and is comfortable.

Cheers guys will look into them. Will only be small lenses. Meant to say would be for taking g away on holidays/trips.

I shall take a picture of my 5 when I get home later. For a single body and smaller lenses it should be fine. Think tank make very good bags

I have a Billingham Hadley pro for my Olympus omd kit but it sounds like the Hadley small may be a better option for you.

View: https://youtu.be/2pwlC7odJk4

This guy shows packing it with an Em5 and various lenses. If nothing else it may help you see what kind of size bag you'll be looking for.

I use a think tank Sling-O-Matic for my X-Pro 1 with 3 lenses (one on camera), two speedlites, a speedlite transmitter and other bits and bobs. Works a right treat!

Have you considered a Billingham Hadley small insert and a nondescript messenger bag? It's my personal favourite when I want to go somewhere without advertising the fact I'm carrying a couple of grands worth of camera gear. The Hadley Pro insert is probably too big for your needs. That said, the Hadley Pro bag is a glorious m43 bag. Plenty of room for everything and it'll last a lifetime.

Heres a few shots of the think tank 5. In the bag are 2 em5 with half grips (so pretty much the same size as an em1). One has a 12-35, the other the 35-100. In the front pocket is a Think tank cable management 10 which fits very nicely on the space provided and is a handy bag for batteries and round filters. I am only using one of the two dividers that was supplied - if you have a single body and a few lenses you will probably want to use the 2 dividers to split the bag into 3 sections, the body in the middle and lenses either side. If you glue together 2 rear lens caps you can keep 2 lenses in each section without banging into each other.

The bag is pushed to the max with 2 bodies with these lenses. But if you have a single body with a prime, it will fit in more comfortably and leave plenty of room for lenses.

j49ASkX4Os-3000x3000.jpeg

1LFyOrJHK1-3000x3000.jpeg
EcqatYnSmG-3000x3000.jpeg
2HcxEVZKiQ-3000x3000.jpeg

Thanks all, I must say, the thnk tank looks much more appealing to me in your shots than product shots I've seen.

Its a very nicely designed bag, relatively anonymous and very sturdy. Now I have 2 em5's there have been occasions where I wish I had a slightly larger bag, but 2 em5's fit even with larger lenses and for 90% of the time it is all I need. For a single em1 and a few lenses you will not go wrong IMO. I would recommend getting the cable management 10 as that fits perfectly in the front pocket and keeps things nicely organised.

Its a very nicely designed bag, relatively anonymous and very sturdy. Now I have 2 em5's there have been occasions where I wish I had a slightly larger bag, but 2 em5's fit even with larger lenses and for 90% of the time it is all I need. For a single em1 and a few lenses you will not go wrong IMO. I would recommend getting the cable management 10 as that fits perfectly in the front pocket and keeps things nicely organised.
I bought a Thinktank bag a while back. To be absolutely honest, I didn't like it. I felt that the strap was overly thick and heavy for such a small bag. The padded shoulder strap was similarly oversized - it wasn't comfortable unless it was slung across the shoulder. At the time, I felt that the internal padding was lacking - But that, like most things, is subjective. I'm now quite happy using microfibre cloths to stop gear clacking together.

I bought a Thinktank bag a while back. To be absolutely honest, I didn't like it. I felt that the strap was overly thick and heavy for such a small bag. The padded shoulder strap was similarly oversized - it wasn't comfortable unless it was slung across the shoulder. At the time, I felt that the internal padding was lacking - But that, like most things, is subjective. I'm now quite happy using microfibre cloths to stop gear clacking together.

Just shows how personal bag choices are - which think tank bag did you try, and what bag did you eventually get and like?

This is the problem I'm having, I want to go and try some out but my local shop has none I like or that have been suggested.

How about some suggestions for those of us who don't want to spend £100+ on a camera bag. Surely not all CSC users spend that much?

Ha, yes, they are all a bit pricey but I'm probably willing to pay for the right bag.....I have also been looking at the Crumpler Jackpack 3000/4000 but again it's so hard to tell size without seeing them in the flesh.

My Domke is 11 years old and is still worth more than your average Lowepro even secondhand and battered. They get better with age!
Looking back on all the money I spent in photography, my bag was probably the wisest and the most future proofed.
Besides, if we were doing photography on a budget wouldn't we be buying EM1's?

If I were after a cheap messenger bag Id be down the army and navy store, come out with a cheap canvas webbing messenger and pack the insides with foam wraps. Under a tenner!

ive had Hadley pro and a think tank retro but now using a vanguard up-rise11 (size/model 33) its beat them both hands down. doesn't look as cool but its way more practical and comfortable, as well as offering better protection. the retro in particular does of the greatest protection

Back