Ball Head Recommendation for D500 + Nikon 200-500

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Need a decent ball head for my D500 and 200-500. Any recommendations, Arca Swiss compatible only.

Cheers

Andy

Birding, motorsport with the 200-500 but also landscape with smaller lens. I agree a gimbal would be better but I’ve seen plenty use ball heads too and gimbals are huge!

Thanks, what model? Some are quite expensive haha.

Mine was around £230 but it's in the car boot ATM so don't have it in front of me ... check the load specs, I think even the cheapest covers up to 18Kg.

Birding, motorsport with the 200-500 but also landscape with smaller lens. I agree a gimbal would be better but I’ve seen plenty use ball heads too and gimbals are huge!
Birding/motorsport would be handheld ideally, but if on a tripod I would avoid using a ballhead... you can, but you're basically using it as if it were handheld instead. If you want small/light I would probably use a pan-tilt like the Acratech long lens head, or a Sirui L-20S. There's also the UniqBall/Flexline options for more versatility (built in leveling)... or video heads...
The Acratech/Sirui would require that you level the tripod, or a leveling base be used if you want/need level panning (like a gimbal does). And they don't allow the head to flop to 90* for portrait use, but the lens has a rotating collar for that.

Last edited:
I use a Manfrotto tripod and heads; a ball head for shorter lenses and a pan and tilt for longer lenses.

However, having recently acquired a Sigma 150-600 realised that I'm going to have to try a gimbal head as neither are any good for using with such a long lens.

Once I managed to get up from the floor after looking at some prices; I phoned a pro tog friend to see if he could point me in the right direction of a cheaper or used one.

OK - this is where I say 'don't laugh'. o_O

On his recommendation, on Friday I took delivery of one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I57SS5S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well, bottom line - it is brilliant and works amazingly well. I'm blown away by how good it is for the money. :banana:

I use a Manfrotto tripod and heads; a ball head for shorter lenses and a pan and tilt for longer lenses.

However, having recently acquired a Sigma 150-600 realised that I'm going to have to try a gimbal head as neither are any good for using with such a long lens.
A gimbal head IS a pan-tilt head... it just has the unique ability to zero out the lens/body CG (which really isn't that big of a deal).

I have one of these https://www.robertwhite.co.uk/arca-...cket-z1-sp-with-quickset-fliplock-device.html
Total overkill for the kit I use now and its kept in the car with a sturdy Manfrotto tripod just in case I need a tripod when out and about.

Solid as a rock and its load capacity means it can handle any combination you can think of.
My more portable kit is FLM, they make some nice ball heads from compact up to king size

Once I managed to get up from the floor after looking at some prices; I phoned a pro tog friend to see if he could point me in the right direction of a cheaper or used one.

undecided which i prefer at the moment lol
On his recommendation, on Friday I took delivery of one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I57SS5S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well, bottom line - it is brilliant and works amazingly well. I'm blown away by how good it is for the money. :banana:

I am sure that will suit you fine Trevor :)
I had previously used that lens on a velbon ph-157q head but i do now have a couple of gimbal heads.
Benro GH2 and a Joby JR and I am undecided which i prefer at the moment.

I have one of those. Nice weight to them but very easy to use and great value for money as you say

If you want to go the whole hog, look at the Acratech GP. It is basically a ball head but it can also be used AS a gimbal head. I would recommend the heaviest one (the GP) because they tend to slip unless tightened up very carefully, especially with a long, heavy lens. Once you are aware of that, it works well.

Even the GP is compact and light weight.

Thanks for all the replies. I’ve ordered a new ball head as I needed one anyway but also a tilt head for my bipod (Sirui L-10).

My main thing against a gimbal is the size and how’d it be able to swap between it and a ball head on my tripod easily.

If I was to get a gimbal it’s definitely be a cheapo Neewer, they look great.

Reactions: Sky
Benro GH2 and a Joby JR and I am undecided which i prefer at the moment.

I was tempted by the GH2 Pete, but thought it was worth checking the cheapie out. If I couldn't get on with it then throwing forty quid away wouldn't be as painful. ;)

Anyway, as it turns out I really like it, so there's a good chance I'll end up getting the GH2 in the future anyway if this one lets me down (at the price, I can't see it lasting too long).

My main thing against a gimbal is the size and how’d it be able to swap between it and a ball head on my tripod easily.

If I was to get a gimbal it’s definitely be a cheapo Neewer, they look great.

I thought that too Andy, but it folds flat and fits in my camera case quite easily. There's no way it would fit in any of my tripod cases though. :rolleyes:

Back