Ball head recommendation

I think you are paying a premium for the "grip action" which you may not get that much benefit from with landscapes. I have the 488RC2 which is way cheaper.

Although you are paying a lot for the grip facility, I think it may be worth it. About a year ago I bought a Manfrotto 685B monopod which has a grip release facility. It was massively more expensive than the usual type of monopod, but I would like to have to go back to the clamp type now.

So....

Spend the vouchers and get yourself the best. Go on, you know you want it.

just a suggestion but i use a Markins Q3 and it is sublime, even with the 70-200mm 2.8 on it with my D700, expensive yes, but you would never replace it!

sorry to hijack this one but i got the same question xD

i'm currently looking at redsnapper range and is wandering whether the ball head by redsnapper is worth it. and what the differences/advantages between a ball head and a 3 way head?

I've got the 322rc2 and it's great. It is a bit heavy and if used all day can wear out your hand a bit , but it's great for macro and all sorts.

I have several tripod heads, including the Manfrotto 322 Action Grip joy-stick one in the OP. If I had to use only one, that would be it. It's very good at most things, better than a simple ball head, and very fast to use. But for landscape and studio, where there's no rush, I prefer the independent control and precision of a 3-way head.

Richard.

If you ever take panning shots for panoramics then the grip head will be a pain. The 488RC2 is much better for landscapes, in my opinion, because it has a separate release for panning only.

In fact, any form of panning with the 322 is a pain in the arm (literally, after a few hours) and it means you have to keep one hand on the grip.

I had a 322RC2 and replaced it with a 488RC2. Much happier.

I think you are paying a premium for the "grip action" which you may not get that much benefit from with landscapes. I have the 488RC2 which is way cheaper.

Ditto, the 488RC2 is great, the panoramic feature is very useful.

Just a bigger quick release plate with a screw that is better positioned for my macro rails (More support)
(Oh, and you have to get the 808 whic is £30 more :( )

Just a bigger quick release plate with a screw that is better positioned for my macro rails (More support)
(Oh, and you have to get the 808 whic is £30 more :( )

Cheers. Don't do a lot of macro, so happy with the RC2! (y)

just got my red snapper tripod an ball head great bit of kit very well made :clap::clap::clap::clap:thanks red snapper:clap::clap:

I would second Markins Q3, i use their M10, which is a bit overkill for my gear, i wish I had bought the smaller and lighter Q3. they are both great though!

I've got the 322rc2 and it's great. It is a bit heavy and if used all day can wear out your hand a bit , but it's great for macro and all sorts.
Why I'm reading on many posts that the 322 is heavy?

I can't choose between these and the 488 rc2, anyway the weight is similar (0.70 kg against 0.67).
the very popular 804rc2 is also 0.75kg.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks

redsnapper's ball head is pretty handy

I have the 808RC4 Pan & Tilt it's fantastic for control but the quick release grip type is also a good option. Horses for courses:):):)

and which is the difference between 488rc0
and 486rc2?
as I do quite a lot landscapes but like also the quickness of the ball, has the second the panning system?

RC2 and RC0 are quick release plates. 488 has the panning base (it's got both a lever and and knob). Not sure the linked pics are correct.

You need to try this stuff. Browsing on line will only get you so far. With a ball head, everything is in the action. You can only feel that.

Manfrotto 468 MG RC2 is a good ball head at (vaguely) sensible money.

and what about "pan 360°" in both specifications?

thanks"

maybe i missed sumthing, but the redsnapper i have have 2 locks, 1 for the ball and one for the pan. if the thing only has 1 lock for 2 mechanism, doesn't sound very good

486 RC2 is one i use i tried the one you mention did'nt get on with it
Regards
Lost

Back