Ball or threeway head on a Redsnapper

M

MrCynical

I'm planning to get myself a Redsnapper tripod in the next few days but I'm in two minds as to whether to get the ball or three-way head. I generally do landscape, building photography - I never do sports photography and don't plan on doing any wildlife either (the one bird photo in my flickr is when the thing sat on the ground in front of me while I was having my lunch :p). I don't have kids either so I won't be tracking fast-moving things with my tripod.

Oh and the weight of my kit isn't likely to be a problem for either head type: at the moment I've got a Panasonic superzoom, and if I do move up to DSLR then the heaviest I'm likely to get is a 450D/XSi with the 55-250mm IS on it.

I don't know what a 3 way is, but my ball is giving me ache and soon to be replaced. I just can't get accurate enough framing with it. FYI it's a Giottos ball head that I use.

I don't know what a 3 way is, but my ball is giving me ache and soon to be replaced. I just can't get accurate enough framing with it. FYI it's a Giottos ball head that I use.

A three-way head being the one with the levers that you adjust by turning the handles for whichever axis you want to change. There might be another term for them but Redsnapper themselves call it a 3-way.

Ah... I think what I fancy might be called a geared head? I would ideally like to be able to move my tripod a milli to the left, without overshooting and having to go back n forth until I get the right framing.

Well, from a landscape point of view, I am starting to find my ball quite restrictive. Though it is compact, quick to get roughly right, and light.

i use the ball, its amazingly good value for what it does and extremely versatile, as it pans too ;)

Back