Ballet Portraits

Edit My Images
No
I'm shooting some staged portraits for a local dance group that their parents can buy online etc bit like school photos.

I've hired a local theatre so will be shooting them on the stage. I've got myself a couple of studio lights and just been advised I can use the theatre lights too.

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of shooting this kind of thing. The poses will most likely be static as they are young dancers. Any help, tips advice etc appreciated!

From what I remember of doing these, try to have a dance teacher by your side so she can tweak the pose before you take the picture, pray that there won't be any parents around while you're shooting, and don't forget to do an informal group shot even if that's not on the agenda. It'll sell ;)

Good tips from Sid there but I find the group shot never sells as most parents only want a picture of their child, Ive often been left with bundles of group shots left unsold. If its online sales then there is no harm I suppose.
If its a large group try and nail down 5-6 basic ballet poses so you can rinse and repeat with each dancer. Watch for leg positioning and make sure all toes are pointy

I won't comment on poses, but I will say that you need to be careful if you are thinking of mixing studio lighting and stage lighting (thinking white balance). If you can get access to the theatre beforehand, do it.

I won't comment on poses, but I will say that you need to be careful if you are thinking of mixing studio lighting and stage lighting (thinking white balance). If you can get access to the theatre beforehand, do it.

That was my concerns, I have about an hour before hand so will get set up. I am going to try and keep it as simple as possible I think to ensure I can work as quickly and cleanly as possible!

If you are not already also look into the need to be CRB checked (or whatever its called nowadays) when working with youngsters.

Paul

Its a DBS check now, but its fine as I wont be in sole custody of the children, all parents and the teacher will be there.

hah, someone asked me the other day if I was crb checked as I doing some photography as at school fete (surrounded by adults and children) , I'm not crb checked but I still hold SC clearance for a previous role, I was going to point out to them that a basic criminal records check is pointless these days as Rolf Harris and Jimmy Saville both would have been cleared before their death/arrests but couldn't be bothered!

Praise the Lord, a thread that isn't fracking weddings!!!!

If you are not already also look into the need to be CRB checked (or whatever its called nowadays) when working with youngsters.

don't bother . you don't need it and you will not be left alone with small humans... so many kids and folk in and out at dance shoots... don't worry.

Though I would come back with an update!

The shoot went down really well, the location was excellent and staff there really helpful. The images came out pretty much the way I wanted and I've been asked back to do them next year. A lot of sales, with a good mixture of prints and downloads. One point was having the ballet teacher on hand was a huge bonus to correct poses etc! I've attached a sample image so you can see :)

You did well! :)

Thanks! I was quite nervous at first being a new genre but loved the images at the end. There are a couple of personal niggles ie the backdrop had a wooden board at the base that caught the light and I couldn't block it, but I know for next time so I'll be prepared!

Back