Ballheads & Tripods - How much?!

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm always amazed at the price of some tripods.
Over £400 for some, not even always made of carbon fibre.
Then something actually mechanically simple, a ball head, can go for over £200.

To take an extreme. This Wimberley head over at Wex £640?!
It's a piece of metal, some clamps, screws and grease, for the price of a decent lens, full of glass, electronics and years of R&D.

Yes, you can pay less - but I quick flick through the different models suggest over £100 is standard for a ballhead, which just seems mental.
Similarly, a tripod - straight bits of metal with some clips on for over £500? You can get a decent bike with more metal, more engineering and more tech for that.

Is it just the number being produced that pushes the prices up so high?

Precision, engineering and quality of materials. In one of his books Joe McNally tells a story about one of his stands and a gitzo tripod ending on the bottom of a harbour. After having it retrieved the gitzo was serviced IIRC for free.

What is anything worth?

Don't consider myself crazy, but I do own a tripod that has a rrp a quid short of 500 quid. Considering it will support kit probably worth three times or more that it doesn't seem too bad.

Yes you can buy a bike for less than that, but you can also pay a lot more too, Merlin Ti frame in 1991 wasn't cheap. If you aren't skimping elsewhere and nobody is going short why not buy nice stuff.

Prices are high because in many cases you won't be buying another one and decent carbon fibre isn't cheap to manufacture from.

Carbon fibre I can agree with - it's not a cheap material.

But is there that much precision in the Wimberley head linked to, or most ball heads? I would've thought manufacturing standards these days mean producing an accurate ball and socket joint isn't the engineering feat it once was...

I guess they are expensive for what they are but I'm a sucker for quality engineering.

Strangely - it's the price of electronic gadgets that staggers me and in this day and age you could argue cameras fall into this category.

Back to tripods and heads though. I guess if somebody has paid 6k for a camera and lens - it's understandable to see why they're prepared to spend a few hundred on the support.

I suspect there is also premium based on it being 'photographic' gear.

I have bought a few tripods over the years and like you I first wondered what all the pricing was about

I now only use the three GITZO that I have plus Wimberly and Arca-Swiss Gimbals/Heads

just no real comparison with the cheaper kit

The articles above are pretty good and describes my journey over the past few years well - from cheap and cheerful (can't go wrong with a tripod surely?) to now using full height carbon fiber one 99% of the time. Basically it's been a quest for rock solid platform, light weight and portable. I could have jumped straight to CF at the beginning but perhaps I would not appreciated it so much. A bit like camera bodies :). Time to sell the various unused tripods now.

For gimbals I don't use so much so very difficult to justify top of the range. For that I have a cheaper one. It's heavy but it works apart from weight gripes are it's not quite square and the spirit level is completely useless.

i think there is definitely an element of getting what you pay for with tripods and heads, but i also think there is a point where you say well how much more is it worth spending for such marginal gains. If you are a pro and using them day in day out then the longevity you will get out of say a gitso and top end head is probably fair enough but for someone who gets out each weekend or a couple of weekends a month then a manfrotto with a half decent head is probably plenty. I think i paid about 300 quid for my legs and head about 5 years ago and the prices seem to have increased ever since, that said i think it is about right for the sort of use and abuse mine gets as cheaper ones fall to bits quite quickly but i would struggle to justify paying much more for what i need. There is definitely a buy cheap buy twice factor with tripods though which i think most togs have seen time and time again.

Similarly, a tripod - straight bits of metal with some clips on for over £500?
Then why don't you just make your own?

Part of the reason for the prices is the limited market. And part of the reason for the limited market is because so many photographers buy the cheap crap... at least the first time.

Part of the reason for the prices is the limited market. And part of the reason for the limited market is because so many photographers buy the cheap crap... at least the first time.[/QUOTE]

:agree:
I had a Manfrotto and was continually annoyed with it albeit silly little things to most folk but it just niggled me every time I went out using it. I researched tripods for what I wanted and yes it was very very expensive in terms of most tripods but its a joy to use and I'm happy :) , same with tripod heads really.
I believe you really get what you pay for and I have bought cheap and bought twice..

Remember top of the range tripods do not necessarily cost silly money. I admit that I am a bit of a tripod freak and my current Gitzo set cost me £1083 - that is quite a LOT in my books! But lets look at what I got for my money:

Gitzo G1550T Carbon Travel tripod bought used.
Gizo GT3320BS - very robust shortie (new).
Gitzo GT2531 - Carbon 2 series mountaineer (new)
Gitzo GT4542LS - big sturdy Carbon tripod for my 800mm (new)
Gitzo GM2541 - Carbon mono pod (new)

So that is three carbon fiber Gitzo tripods (2 new and one used), a new Gitzo aluminium tripod (they didn't make a Carbon version) and a new Carbon Fiber Gitzo mono pod. Incidentally the most expensive was the GT4542LS at just under £375 from Gitzo UK. No support that I have, or have had, has cost the £400 that the OP quotes.
Yes quality is expensive but it does not need to be silly money if you hunt around. My best bargain was a Gitzo G1329 Mk2 + G1318 second hand. That is a 3 series Carbon Fiber Systematic plus the accessory Carbon Fiber center column - cost £100 from a Camera shop which was a Gitzo Dealer! It pays to look about.........

P.S. My Wimberley 2 was bought used but only cost £200.

I ordered a GT1545T for ~£350 from FotoŠkoda in the Czech Republic. No issues at all, had the tripod via DPD within 2 days.

Our collection so far is:-

Gitzo GT5562GTS
Gitzo GT3542XLS
GItzo 2541EX
GItzo GM5541
GItzo GH3750QR
Manfrotto 405
Wimberley WH-200

As above, not all of them were bought new, some eBay specials, one bought in the half price Gitzo sale and all pre 'Brexit', bought over a 6 year period.

All is insured on 'New for Old', it is very sobering realising what it would all cost to replace at retail prices!

A good tripod and head can make an old lens take amazing images but put pro grade lenses and bodies on a inferior tripod and you'll never really see just how good all that expensive equipment is!

FWIW I think you're all mental ;)

Perhaps I'm lucky in that I shoot an A7R2, so it's not a heavy body, and a I don't have any long, fast tele's either, so my needs aren't the same of a birders/sport tog.

However, aside from weight, I really don't see how a more expensive tripod will take a better picture as Mike claims above. My current one, a Velbon, no idea what model, holds the camera solid, is easy to adjust, light enough to carry and solid enough it doesn't fall over. I think it cost be about £40. I don't see how spending 10 times this will make any difference to my photography.

Perhaps I'm lucky in that I shoot an A7R2, so it's not a heavy body, and a I don't have any long, fast tele's either, so my needs aren't the same of a birders/sport tog.

However, aside from weight, I really don't see how a more expensive tripod will take a better picture as Mike claims above. My current one, a Velbon, no idea what model, holds the camera solid, is easy to adjust, light enough to carry and solid enough it doesn't fall over. I think it cost be about £40. I don't see how spending 10 times this will make any difference to my photography.

I think you are equally barmy balancing that expensive kit on a 40 quid tripod, do you transport the camera in a carrier bag?

Unlikely professional photographers would bung all that cash on expensive tripods/heads if they could get away with under £50

Last edited:
Ha - but it's never even come close to falling over... It's solid, weighty but not heavy, wide legs, and has never given me any reason to worry.

Though now you mention it, my camera is currently lose in my rucksack....

You don't know what "solid/stable" is until you've used one...

I have just moved from a 190B Manfrotto to an Induro CT314 carbon fibre, it was one of the older models but bought as new off e bay from a clearance house. New would have £400+ a snip at £150 came in original box and tool kit not a mark on it. Night and day in terms of quality and weight (changed over to the short carbon head now weighs 2.3kg rock solid matched up to a benro head which was better built than the Induro ball heads. Total cost £225

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcqDmrwaB7k

Very happy with my upgrade and feel its money well spent.as I am confident subject to nominal wear and tear should see me good for 10 years

A new Gitzo 4542LS is $890/£708 here... you got one new for almost half price?

Yup! It was from Gitzo UK. I think Gitzo had a sudden rush of blood to the head! The GTx5x2 tripods have been superseded by the GTx5x3 tripods. In other words my GT 4542LS is now replaced by the GT4543LS. There were a whole bunch of the "Mk2" tripods on offer but they didn't last long! Even the 5 series were around the £400 mark or just over. I really wanted the three leg section 4 series but, at these prices, I took what I could get!

P.S. Te GT4542LS is the most expensive tripod that I currently have. My other Gitzo tripods/mono pod cost less and were bought from a high street camera shop - except the Traveller which was £140 from E Bay second hand.

Last edited:

Well it is nice to see that we agree, because (from what you post) I think you are mental too! Tee Hee!

Firstly the weight of your gear is pretty much irrelevant - didn't you know that? The speed of your lenses is close to irrelevant - didn't you know that? What matters is your focal length and shutter speed. If I want to shoot my Canon 800mm F5.6 at 1/2000 sec then a whole load of wobbles count for pretty much nothing, however if I need to shoot my 24-70 at 1/4 sec then I need a RIGID tripod!

Supporting weight is easy, the heaviest weight that I have conveniently available is me! My past and present Gitzo 3 series tripods (rated at 12 - 18 Kilos) show no stress with my 110 kilos which proves they are very strong but not much else. What matters is how rigid they are and how quickly the damp down vibration. In this respect even an older model 2 series Gitzo, or a newer 1 series, will make any Velbon look very poor - I have tried most of the Velbon offerings = no thanks.

I am not having a go at you but I would really suggest that you try some of the top brand tripods out before you decide/post. Velbon tripods are very reasonably priced, but there is a reason for that! I note you quote a UK price for your Velbon so I assume you live in the UK? If you are anywhere near South Wales then I will be happy to demonstrate how much better a decent tripod is. If you are not convinced then you can be happy with your Velbon, but I suspect you will end up reaching for your credit card!

All the best!

Well it is nice to see that we agree, because (from what you post) I think you are mental too! Tee Hee!

Firstly the weight of your gear is pretty much irrelevant - didn't you know that? The speed of your lenses is close to irrelevant - didn't you know that? What matters is your focal length and shutter speed. If I want to shoot my Canon 800mm F5.6 at 1/2000 sec then a whole load of wobbles count for pretty much nothing, however if I need to shoot my 24-70 at 1/4 sec then I need a RIGID tripod!

:D It has been suggested before..

Length and speed of lens was purely in terms of weight - and I think it is at least partly relevant as you're essentially building a very top-heavy structure. So from a security (not going to blow-over) point of view, surely weight is relevant?

Anyhoo - I can see I'm in the minority here. If I happen to get a large bonus or win the lottery, perhaps I'll splurge, but until my current tripod lets me down, I shall be happily snapping away :)

Like most high end camera equipment you are into a law of diminishing returns at high prices and Gitzo tripods would probably fall under the rip off category. Most of us will never use our equipment close to the limit but more expensive or better engineered equipment is just nice to use.

It was a bit late when I wrote that so it's probably not worded that well! Weight is relevant but even my lightest tripod easily supports 3+ times the weight of my heaviest setup which is Canon's heaviest current EF/EOS setup - so the weight is not the primary factor here.

As to being top heavy? Without going to extremes this is had to avoid - but very simple to cure - buy a quality tripod! If you look at Gitzo tripod you will quickly note that, for a given height, the tripod feet are further apart than the majority of other similar style tripods. This makes them much more stable and less likely to be toppled by the wind etc. A few years back I was shooting sunset down at Worm's head with another photographer, I was using my Gitzo GT2531 and they were using a Chinese clone that cost 1/3 the price.- but had a smaller footprint! I could shoot happily at eye level they could not, even when they hung their backpack off the center column to prevent toppling the tripod still vibrated too much in the wind. They got their shots in the end but had to shoot at a lower level to do it and got a cold wet backside into the bargain.

Try one or two for yourself and you will very quickly see what I am getting at.

All the best.

Like most high end camera equipment you are into a law of diminishing returns at high prices and Gitzo tripods would probably fall under the rip off category. Most of us will never use our equipment close to the limit but more expensive or better engineered equipment is just nice to use.

Earlier this year I bought a Gitzo GT4542LS brand new from Gitzo UK. I checked the prices on the Benro and Induro equivalents (copies?). If I wanted the Benro Com48CL it was £83 more expensive and the Induro GIT404XL was £178 more expensive. I agree with you on the law of ever diminishing returns - that is why I buy Gitzo tripods, they are better and cheaper - if you hunt about!

I have played bluegrass banjo for many years and now know some people who play ukuleles, so I looked at new ukulele banjos. These little things are ridiculously expensive with the full resonator, twicev as much as a decent full sized banjo that has twice as much wood and metalwork.

As for the tripod, these are very expensive for what the are but managed to get a Manfrotto MK190X3 with the 496RC2 ball head on offer new for £109 from Park Cameras, which was reasonable.

I have an expensive gitzo tripod and wimberley and wouldn't swap it. Ok it's a niche market but with a 500mm lens and teleconvertor I'm shooting over 1000mm. Even the smallest vibration can make or break a photo. I've used cheaper ones and the vibrations are noticeable. Also you pay for the carbon/less weight. When your gear already weighs over 8kg and you're carrying it round all day, you want to save on weight where you can.

Back