Balloon explosion

Keenbfb

Suspended / Banned
Name
Karl
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been playing with sound triggers and found out how to make hydrogen not overly happy with the result and would like hints on how to light an explosion without blowing the flame ball.:thinking::thinking:

And yes I know I need to light it next time without my hand being so close...:bonk::bonk:

4300562987_3c27074a99_o.jpg

Im a bit confused lol

how do you mean light an explosion without blowing the flame ball?

I take it your after getting a ball of fire from the balloon as it explodes?

My only suggestion would be "trial and error" as every explosion will produce different results.. When playing with fire I go for fixed focus, long(ish) exposure, low ISO and play with the aperture until I get the desired results.

Carl

Is that not rather a dangerous event to set up?

Is that not rather a dangerous event to set up?

I was thinking the same myself, pure hydrogen ain't too bad but hydrogen + air / oxygen is a potentially BAD mix and not something I'd consider shooting without a blast screen inbetween my camera and the balloon! I'm waiting for the "Melted Macro Lens" post ;)

I was thinking the same myself, pure hydrogen ain't too bad but hydrogen + air / oxygen is a potentially BAD mix and not something I'd consider shooting without a blast screen inbetween my camera and the balloon! I'm waiting for the "Melted Macro Lens" post ;)

hmmm is this something I should attempt? :LOL:

This could end with a serious loss of eyebrows.:shake:

Apparently losing both is better than losing just one as it looks better when growing back.

I think people might post up more suggestions if you post up your set-up, location, and what safety precautions you are using?

Safety precautions well first I checked the home insurance is up to date.:LOL::LOL:

It's a small balloon filled with a small amount of homemade hydrogen and burst with a naked flame, next time I need to light the balloon with a longer distance between me and the flame.:bonk:

2 flashes used flash 1 a speedlight 430 ex II set of full power about 4ft to the right and behind the balloon to avoid light on the back drop. Flash 2 is an old flash set to the left between the camera and the balloon facing the balloon (no power settings on this one).

Lens 18-55 kit lens on manual focus F14 camera about 6ft away from balloon.

I'm quite pleased with the sight of the burst balloon flying of the righ,t I think the fireball could have more definition in it rather than just a yellow blob in the centre of the flame and it's the lighting for this that I'm asking about.

I'm no expert, but why the lighting if your photographing fire? Won't the light of the fire be enough to get the picture? Or have I missed a step?

Safety precautions well first I checked the home insurance is up to date.:LOL::LOL:

It's a small balloon filled with a small amount of homemade hydrogen and burst with a naked flame, next time I need to light the balloon with a longer distance between me and the flame.:bonk:

2 flashes used flash 1 a speedlight 430 ex II set of full power about 4ft to the right and behind the balloon to avoid light on the back drop. Flash 2 is an old flash set to the left between the camera and the balloon facing the balloon (no power settings on this one).

Lens 18-55 kit lens on manual focus F14 camera about 6ft away from balloon.

I'm quite pleased with the sight of the burst balloon flying of the righ,t I think the fireball could have more definition in it rather than just a yellow blob in the centre of the flame and it's the lighting for this that I'm asking about.

If you want more definition you need less light as you've got a blown blob of light, flash is pointless in this situation as there is nothing illuminate except light itself. Thinking about this shot I'd go for a high shutter speed and a small aperture, no flash, low ambient light and ideally a sound trigger.

If you're just hoping to catch an "exploding" balloon I'd just use compressed air with a tiny bit of talc / flour etc for effect. Even then I'd be looking at a sound trigger or a really big box of balloons.

Carl

Thanks Robbo and Carl I'll try again without the flash.

It was the building of a sound trigger that started this whole thing of in the first place.

You could try corn flour and a flame - good results but a lot less dangerous.

Thanks Robbo and Carl I'll try again without the flash.

It was the building of a sound trigger that started this whole thing of in the first place.

:cool: that'll save you on balloon costs!! Look forward to seeing the end results, I love experimental stuff like this (y)

Carl

Just a thought about you wanting more room between you and the flame. How about a lighted candle and the balloon taped to a stick, so you put the balloon to the flame, if thats do able. Or a light candle on the stick.

Mick.

Back