Beginner Bamburgh Castle... Not the morning I'd hoped for!

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
So following a year off from photography but spurred on by the discussions I've had on Talk Photography and the feedback from some older images (which I really appreciate) I set my alarm for 0300 and headed up to Bamburgh Caste as I'm about the only guy living in the North East not to have photographed it. I was looking forward to a lovely image with reds and oranges to rival some of the amazing work I've seen. Alas, thick cloud cover foiled my efforts. I managed to take two images that I didn't detest and used a little light painting for the first time (again, after seeing some great stuff on these forums). I can't say they are the best images I've ever taken but here they are none the less:

Flickr

Flickr

I have also chosen to join a local photography society, going to check out Tynemouth Photographic Society in the next couple of weeks to see if I can find the best way of developing my skills, in association with Talk Photography, of course.

Rob.

If i'm being honest. I think I prefer the second one. The top one seems a bit to surreal for my liking. Only personal opinion mind you!

I know what you mean, Tim. I'm really not sure about either of them to be honest.

Rob.

Of the two I prefer the 2nd as the sun is over-powering the 1st IMO but I'm not sure of the blue colour :thinking:

The light in the first image is coming from the floodlights on the castle, the sun wasn't visible this morning due to cloud cover, unfortunately. The blue is certainly a little different from most early morning images.

Rob.

Don't be too hard on yourself Mark, I really could see the second one as a poster or canvas. Its a learning curve we all have to go through.

Agreed, bizarre thing is that I haven't manipulated the colours at all. The only editing was to lower the exposure of the sky.

Rob.

I got up to Bamburgh about 6 and was playing with some light painting first. I'd also never been up there to take pictures so had a little scout around in the dark to try and find something that would work.

If I do it again, I'll be able to leave much later.

Rob.

Lets not be too hard on the guy, I like his compositions. I even like the exposure (if not the colour cast) of the second.

The other one the grad used has been too strong, yes one should have foregound exposed and if you need to darken the sky with a grad, so be it, but not the extent it has been done

First off Rob, a good effort especially since you made the effort to get up and head out to record the sunrise. Certainly worth joining Tynemouth camera club, I happen to know there's at least one good landscape shooter there who may well help you progress. If however you don't get on there, come on down to Consett camera club on a Monday night, we're a friendly club and would be glad to see you ;)
I think what would help the two images is, now you have them (presumably in RAW) take them both back into LR as they were from the camera and start with the white balance eyedropper selector tool right at the top of the program. Click on an area of neutral grey and see what the image looks like then. Often it will be very close, if it isn't, warm it up or cool it down with the 1st slider, then set the tint with the next one. Once you've got that done, work your way down through every other setting in LR, top to bottom, putting everything right as you go. I could spend all day writing advice about this on here but, suffice to say, when you get to the last adjustment in the develop module in LR, you should have a good basic well adjusted image ready to export to CS5 for layers adjustments etc before saving.
There is a lot which you can do in LR and CS based on taking a good shot in the 1st place (and since you use a 5DIII you have no excuse for not :)) but there will come a point where the lure of filters makes you want a bit more. Others may disagree, but I think Lee are well worth paying for.
Just a quick critique but I hope that helps.

Mark, Steve and everyone, thank you very much for the comments. I appreciate everyone taking the time, it all helps me develop my skills. I've had some very positive comments about previous images so you have to take the rough with the smooth :)

Mark - Thanks for the detailed response, I'll certainly keep Consett in mind if things don't work out for my at Tynemouth.

Following all of the feedback, I had a play with the two images and have made a few amendments, would love to know if it effects any views or if it's what everyone had in mind:

Amended the foreground in an attempt to make the colours more realistic.

Flickr

As above, foreground edited to try and make the foreground colours more realistic.

Flickr

A B&W version of the second image based on Paul's feedback

Flickr

Thanks again everyone - Your views are greatly appreciated.

Best,

Rob.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mark.

When I compare them to the first two I posted, I understand the comments about the colours. I'm personally a lot happier with the images and very grateful for the feedback I received.

Rob.

#3 IMO, is the best of the set. The processing works for me. My main crit, is that the castle is too far away and there isn't anything that interesting on the FG. I'd be tempted to crop the bottom 1/3rd out.

Only been there once and must go again.

Cheers.

Thanks for the comment. It's a lovely place and well worth the trip.

I'll have a play with the crop tool and see what the images look like with some of the foreground removed.

Rob.

Back