Bamburgh Castle

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I was up the east coast last week and decided to go over to Bamburgh Castle to try for some sunrise shots.

Not been before and was surprised to see about 15 photographers already on the beach, stumbling around in the dark :)

The sunrise was ok, but it happened quite a way off from the castle - I am sure it would be better in a few months time. Its all a learning game as I am quite new to landscapes and these locations.

I had setup with my 17-35 but quickly changed to my 85mm portrait lens to get a bit more reach for this shot:

Bamburgh sunrise by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Once the sunrise was over I moved down the beach as I had noticed standing water and wondered if I could get a reflection. It wasn't as good as I had hoped but I managed a few long exposures.

Bamburgh reflection by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Bamburgh Castle by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Last edited:
First ones very nice Dave (y).........wanted to view it on Flickr but you have it set to private :p

Yeah the first one is beautiful, it's a lovely place.

The north east coast line has some fantastic scenery and apparently we have about 2 sunny days a year :)

Yeah the first one is beautiful, it's a lovely place.

The north east coast line has some fantastic scenery and apparently we have about 2 sunny days a year :)

We had a great few days up there Andrew. Northumberland is a bit far away normally but we went to Whitby on day 1 then Staithes and gradually worked our way up the coast over a few days. Would love to spend a full week working my way up into Scotland - maybe next year :)

It's on my doorstep and always wonder why I drive to the Lake District when I could shoot at home

Three very nice images Dave, #1 for me is right on the money.(y)

George.

I do like #1 but 2 and 3 appeal to me more due to the subtle colouring :)

Nice david.

The light in 1 with the composition in 2 or 3 - would have been epic!

To achieve that I would have had to risk death by a thousand tripods insertions ;)

The other photographers on the beach (around 15 of them) would have had to clone me out of their shots.

I only dared venture to that spot when the others had either gone or stopped taking photographs.

I was surprised how quickly people gave up and stopped looking for angles / taking photos. Maybe they hadn't driven as far as me and could go back more easily another day???

I think I would like No 1 better if there was some water in the shot. I do really like No 2 however- something about the composition appeals, the long exposure on the clouds helps and the pink tinge to the horizon is enough to define time of day for me.

Back