Band promotional photos.

the shots themselves look ok but have you tried taking a few of them with their instruments/on stage?

I like your heavy processing and colours apart from I'd take some amber out of Number 2.

... a local metal band,
You sure? They're giving a very flighty impression here : lightweight. Perhaps even effeminate.
Get the bloke on the left to stand at the back next time.

Cheers Pete, personally I think shots like this with them holding their instruments look pretty corny, just imo. I have done some live photos for them but they need some like this for gig flyers and other promo materials.
Douglas, thank you, it seems to be quite hit and miss whether or not people like this style of processing! Yeah they're definitely a metal band, there just not all doom and gloom and obsessed with black haha!
Ray, they guy with the blue check shirt on is the vocalist but they didn't really want to have one person standing out.

the images themselves are clean, I'm not really feeling them to be honest, they don't get across that they are a heavy metal band. The post work on the images is ok but i think the second image as a whole is a little too dark for me and also has a yellow cast on it, this is probably intentional i don't know but you need consistency across the set of images.
Also for the next shoot try and improve on the stance of the band need to be stronger they seem to come across as a little unsure how to stand

this only my opinion of course

Craig

Last edited:
Cheers for the advice Craig, now Ive looked at them on a different monitor I see what you mean about the second image as there is more of a cast than I really wanted, time to get my screen calibrated!
Yeah the positioning was what i struggled with most really, I guess that will just come with time though.

what i do before a band shoot go into tesco Asda, W H Smiths and look in the music magazines for ideas, google and flickr band shots and create an ideas bank on your computer, ipod or phone and then take the images with you to the shoot, also get the band involved with the ideas for looks on the shoot too.

Back