Band Video

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Havent posted on here in a while.. Just wanted to show you all the new video I have just finished, I filmed it in the studio a few month ago but have only just done the edit, as the song has only now been released The hardest part about this video was that the footage recored is of the band doing a different song, so there there was nothing to sync at all. They just wanted me to put across a vibe that they have fun when recording and thats what the band is about. I think I captured that, well they told me it comes across how they wanted it too :)

Let me know what you think :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgNhI-YIVRE

Thanks,

the footage recored is of the band doing a different song, so there there was nothing to sync at all.

LOL that sounds like a right PITA! :bang:
works for me, I like the split screen, feels good and not too over used (touch at the end but works with the crescendo of the song and the fade then single note/single shot to end)
certainly got a cheeky laddish vibe from it.
looks good imho

Thanks for your response Matt :)

It most definately was a right PITA! haha Took a lot longer than an average Live performance 'sync some vocals and instruments' type video.

Yeah I was learning the split screen technique whilst doing that video, so the first bits took me ages but then I got faster as I went on to do the ending.

Thats the vibe the band wanted putting out, so thats great news :)

Thanks again for your comments, they are appreciated..

Its a good video BUT (and its a bit but...) it is sorely let down by bit having that base video of them singing the same song so you can cut to and from it.

Unfortunately after the first minute I got bored of it and I really wanted to see them singing the song...

On a positive note, the split screen stuff was pretty cool and you should have used it more IMO :)

Hi Phil, Thanks for your comments. I think I know what you mean, do you mean I should of recorded them just singing the song so I could cut back and fourth? If so, I tried this, I asked them and it wasnt possible as we couldnt get back in the studio, I wanted to set up a fake studio, but it wasnt possible due to reasons out of our hands :( So I had to make do with what I had.
At first I almost gave up, as i just didnt think I had enough footage to get through the three minutes with nothing to sync. Came out not too bad in the end though!

Thanks again though for your comments Phil, its good to have some feedback from other videographers on here :)

bensilcox said:
Hi Phil, Thanks for your comments. I think I know what you mean, do you mean I should of recorded them just singing the song so I could cut back and fourth? If so, I tried this, I asked them and it wasnt possible as we couldnt get back in the studio, I wanted to set up a fake studio, but it wasnt possible due to reasons out of our hands :( So I had to make do with what I had.
At first I almost gave up, as i just didnt think I had enough footage to get through the three minutes with nothing to sync. Came out not too bad in the end though!

Thanks again though for your comments Phil, its good to have some feedback from other videographers on here :)

You guessed correctly, I understand your shortcomings and it couldn't be helped this time round.

Its not bad as it is, its just something that would have made it real nice...but great effort with what you have :)

came back to read some of the comments
personally I think the split screen, that you learnt whilst doing it was actually well executed.
what I mean by that is it's a gimmick which looks nice (loved the series 24 :)) but can be over used.
I really like the way it's used a bit and then more as the song culminates until it fades out, as the song ends.
deliberate or not, I quite like it

I'm not a videographer to be honest, but love music session videos and I think you did a good job, well played :clap:(y)
Below is my current standard for this sort of thing...
This is not a hijack, I have no connection to the band or the videographer but I think this is an example of a similar idea done very well indeed so wanted to share it with you....It might give you some further ideas for your next project which I look forward to seeing! :cool:
If you like guitar music..enjoy :)
[youtube]5mGALmFlHOA[/youtube]

Last edited:
Ben - I think you've done a great job. The split screen stuff is good (like already mentioned, could have been used more) and the footage looks natural rather than a 'staged' session. I spotted your cameras in a few shots of the drummer, no issue as it gives it a sense of reality.

I think one way to get around the fact there's no actual singing along to the song, you could have taken them to location (back alley? street?) and gotten the footage that way and cut it in. It needn't overpower the studio footage, just add a bit of continuity and make the viewer engage a bit better with the artists.

Dizmatt - great band, thanks for sharing :)

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late response, again thanks for all your comments. I really would of loved to have got them singing, but it just wasnt possible sadly :(

DizMatt - Loving that video, hoping mine will be that good one day!

I have another video booked in next month with a different band, which is going to be a live performance video, so will be much easier to edit :) I will post it up once its done to get some more opinions. Thanks again everyone, really apprieciate it..

Ben

Ben - I spotted your cameras in a few shots of the drummer, no issue as it gives it a sense of reality.

Dizmatt - great band, thanks for sharing :)

Haha - Yeah that was recording the wide angle shot of the full band, The Tokina 11-16mm performs great!

Back