Bang goes another 5d

Name
Roger
Edit My Images
Yes
Well last year when i turned on my 5d there was no display , nothing ... that as many of you will know is still with Jessops , while we try and get them to fix it free as it had completed 6000 actions in two years ..

Today i was of to the zoo with my son Jake .. He had his camera and was all excited to be going with dad to take photos ..

Well put the charged battery in .. formated the flash card ... Put in another card to format and .................. BLANK ... 9000 ACTIONS :bang: ..

Clients round on friday for portraits and no camera ..

Stuck between a rock and a hard place as i don't want to spend my money with jessops ........ But they have a Mk 2 put to one side for me .... So i'll have a nice new 5d mk 2 tomorrow (y) ..

Does anyone out there have a clue as to why two 5d's should just stop working ... Can a dodgy flash card cause a power serge ...

My wife Alyson said , look on the positive side ... it didn't happen while we were doing a wedding ...

Rog (y)

I have no idea but are you sure it has actually 'stopped working'? The screen on my 450D failed to come back on after I moved it away from my face one time and I just removed the battery for a minute or two, and it worked again.

I have no idea but are you sure it has actually 'stopped working'? The screen on my 450D failed to come back on after I moved it away from my face one time and I just removed the battery for a minute or two, and it worked again.

No it's dead ... no display .. nothing .... tried 4 battery's .... It is a dead canon ... As Eric Idle would say ... always look on the bright side ... (y)

No it's dead ... no display .. nothing .... tried 4 battery's .... It is a dead canon ... As Eric Idle would say ... always look on the bright side ... (y)

He also mentioned what your camera seem to have done - drawn its terminal breath.

Perhaps we should all email Canon - telling them about this thread - and asking if this was a fault with the 5D and could they could recommend a decent Nikon!:D:LOL:
t
I would be so tempted to change if i didn't have so many £££££££ worth of canon kit .... I'll get the mk2 tomorrow then get the two 5d's fixed .. One hopefully jessops will do ... the other will be insurance and then i'll sell both ang get another mk 2 and write a very nice letter to the CEO at canon , and see what he has to say (y)

Some things in life are bad
They can really make you mad
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle
Don't grumble, give a whistle
And this'll help things turn out for the best...

And...always look on the bright side of life...
Always look on the light side of life...

I so love this thread...

I'll bet all Nikon togs will enjoy it ........... I am just glad there wasn't much out at chester zoo today :LOL:

i must admit when i turned it on and it went dead i did have a :crying:
My little Boy Jacod said ... Do you want to use my camera dad :) .. He is only five ... bless him

Rog (y)

is it something stupidly simple like a dodgy switch or battery terminal? Ive got a flash that apparently didnt work, turned out to be a little dirt on the battery cover.

As a Nikon tog I am not enjoying this, you have my sympathy
This could happen to anyone and I feel for you

Use it as a Cannon ball? don't worry, my coat is already on... :coat:

is it something stupidly simple like a dodgy switch or battery terminal? Ive got a flash that apparently didnt work, turned out to be a little dirt on the battery cover.
If it wasn't the fact one is with jessops , with two electrical components needed then i would say it could be a simple repair .. But it went dead when i put another cf card in .. it is the same way the other one went .. This is why i wonder if a dodgy card can cause the problem ..

As a Nikon tog I am not enjoying this, you have my sympathy
This could happen to anyone and I feel for you

How much gear do you have ? fancy swapping :LOL:

Use it as a Cannon ball? don't worry, my coat is already on... :coat:

Welcome to the play ground ... you can with a canon (y)

Blimey, that's bad luck. If you do find out what caused it let us all know so we can avoid it if possible?
If you do get stuck and need to borrow a 5D for a day or two you're welcome to borrow mine, although you'll have to work out how to get it... I may insist on putting the CF card in myself though!!!

Blimey, that's bad luck. If you do find out what caused it let us all know so we can avoid it if possible?
If you do get stuck and need to borrow a 5D for a day or two you're welcome to borrow mine, although you'll have to work out how to get it... I may insist on putting the CF card in myself though!!!

Cheers m8

that is very kind of you (y)

.... i have to cf card that went in last put to one side .... Alyson is of to pick up my 5d mk2 later so i should be ok unless that one stops working :LOL: ...

If anyone knows of a place to have CF cards checked let me know ... I am keen to see what Canon have to say about it ... When the other one went to them they said it isn't a comon problem ... Hmm it is in our house .. :LOL:
Again thanks for the kind offer (y)

What brand CF card is it?

Hi all my cards are Sandisk Extreme 3 ... I did wonder if it was because i turned it on cold , but then the other one went bang in september ...

Just wish i knew ..cause you tend to lose a little faith ... When you are taking kit along to do a wedding the last thing you want is to worry about your camera gear ...

without wishing to insult you (you've had a bad enough time already) were your sandisk cards 'shop bought'?

i say that as i've come across some very convincing replicas recently.

also, it might be worth contacting sandisk themselves, explaining the situation and finding out what they think. (that would be good info for us fellow sandisk users too)

a horrible thing to go through, because as you say, you do loose confidence :(

hope it all works out right

Dazza

"Turned it on cold"...?
Shouldn't make any difference providing it was within the set parameters listed in the manual (or are you not talking tempratures here?).

And even then there should be a fair bit of leeway - Canons can survive the Arctic - I've seen them there - it's deserts they have issues with...

without wishing to insult you (you've had a bad enough time already) were your sandisk cards 'shop bought'?

i say that as i've come across some very convincing replicas recently.

also, it might be worth contacting sandisk themselves, explaining the situation and finding out what they think. (that would be good info for us fellow sandisk users too)

a horrible thing to go through, because as you say, you do loose confidence :(

hope it all works out right

Dazza

I think i will send the cards to Canon and see if they can test them ... All have bee of the net bar one from jessops ... But not dodgy sites like ebay .. But i will write to sandisk after seening what canon say ..

"Turned it on cold"...?
Shouldn't make any difference providing it was within the set parameters listed in the manual (or are you not talking tempratures here?).

And even then there should be a fair bit of leeway - Canons can survive the Arctic - I've seen them there - it's deserts they have issues with...

dam ... never even thought to take tempratures :bang: :LOL:

I am just clutching at straws ,, if it is something i am doing wrong i want to make sure i stop doing it ... But as far as i know .. you turn it on and use it .....

if i ever find out i will let you all know ......... though i doubt i will ever find out ... Fingers crossed my mk 2 is abot 2 hrs away from being turned on (y)

Schadenfruede is a wonderful thing...lol

you are simply mean.

Nicky: Hmm...Schadenfruede, huh? What is that? Some kind of Nazi word?
Gary: Yep! It's German for "happiness at the misfortune of others"!

prey nothing wrong happens to you... like mauled by a bear.

There's plenty of scope for being FUBAR'd out here....lol

Just promise you'll bring grapes...

This may seem like a load of c**p, but I used to work in a factory where one piece of equipment kept on blowing cpu's. After loads of testing it turned out that the person running the machine was massively statically charged. Have both malfunctioned when you have been using them ?

This may seem like a load of c**p, but I used to work in a factory where one piece of equipment kept on blowing cpu's. After loads of testing it turned out that the person running the machine was massively statically charged. Have both malfunctioned when you have been using them ?

They have ... :LOL: and i do hold alot of static .. Surly not though :eek:
No i just can't see that , but cheers for the reply ....

I have sent an email to Sandisk asking if there is a way to test their cards ....

true that - a friend of our family can't wear a digital watch, or use anything with batteries in because they stop working within like 20 seconds - imagine a kids toy gun, that makes noise..slowing down and stopping - if she lets go and someone else uses it, it works again - very odd

Hope this doesn't happen with my 5D. I still take it to bed with me & the misses sleeps on the couch ;)

Back