Bangkok visit

wez130

Steak,wedges and a pint
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm going to Bangkok in 4 weeks and i've got money to spend :D

I'll be visiting MBK centre (5th floor) for the camera shops etc and i'm sure there's another centre that's pretty good for camera gear (central plaza i think?) feel free to educate me.

Anyway, i'm using a Sony A6500 and have all the lenses i need, although, if cheap enough, i'd look for a long zoom if the price was right. However, i'm looking at the video side of things and i have the SEL10-18, 18-105 and Sigma 30mm 1.4, i have a Rode videomic pro, i guess i'm looking for a cage for my A6500 to attach bits and bobs to, i'd like a Gimbal (Zhiyun Crane 2?) and some lighting options. What are prices generally like in BKK for stuff like that? I know the cameras and lenses aren't generally cheaper. Also, are filters any cheaper?

Any advice is welcome really.

Thanks

I think you are going to be disappointed with regards to prices. From experience (2012/2013) there is very little difference between the UK and Bangkok. There are a few smaller shops in MBK, the main larger one being a Canon store. The other shopping centres near there are the Siam ones. (Plaza etc) Don't remember camera stores in there to be honest.

Note that you would be liable for import duties when you come back. :)

Regards...

I think you are going to be disappointed with regards to prices. From experience (2012/2013) there is very little difference between the UK and Bangkok. There are a few smaller shops in MBK, the main larger one being a Canon store. The other shopping centres near there are the Siam ones. (Plaza etc) Don't remember camera stores in there to be honest.

Note that you would be liable for import duties when you come back. :)

Regards...

I'm not coming back :D

I'm en route to New Zealand

be careful in Bangkok, The ladies didn't name it that for nothing ;) I understand it is their national sport :jawdrop:

Last edited:
I was there in February this year lol. WITH MY WIFE before any snide comments haha

View from my hotel roof top...

33032371122_cdd02cb646_b.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't looked at prices in Bangkok but in my Mrs family home city of Chonburi the last time we were there, April, prices seemed cheaper than the UK but for me the draw isn't that but that the shops seem to have pretty much everything I'd be interested in in stock and the staff seem more than happy to spend time with you. It's just an all round nicer shopping experience than in the UK.

I've got a brother in law in Singapore who tells me that the prices there are better than in Thailand.

Last edited:
Thailand isn't that much cheaper than the UK for mainstream camera gear although memory cards are cheap. Remember that just because a Thai lady is female, doesn't mean she was born that gender......

Reactions: TG.
Actually here's a thought.... Wez, can't you Google your way to some Thai camera shop sites and check the prices on todays exchange rate?

I have a few little fliers somewhere but the exchange rate has probably changed since April.

You've also got to factor in the p*** poor performance of the pound. You might just be better off picking them up in the UK.

(Posting from Thailand (y))

Best mall for camera gear is Fortune Town on Rama 9 (MRT is best way to get there).

MBK also worth a visit, mainly for the small 'grey import' shop on the photographic floor (opposite the Canon video store).

Back