Midlands Banned in New Street Station?

Edit My Images
Yes
I was wondering around Birmingham New Street station whilst transferring trains and stopoed to take a photo of the main hall.

A staff person (cleaning I think) approached me and said that photography was banned in the station.

I had to get a train so didn't stop to argue, but does anyone have specific experience or knowledge of this?

I would like to be sure before arguing...

Clearly they wouldnt want you taking photos of any security setup,in the present climate you may well be challenged as it isnt unknown for terrorists to carry out reconaisance at potential targets, and that would include taking photographs.
Just be reasonable if challenged and all should be well.

Go to Doncaster railway station on a sunny day and there are sometimes up to 200 togs there.

I could be wrong, but I was always under the belief that photography in train stations was banned under very old laws and I think it was security related - second world war? (Not anti-teroism laws as they are new). This has never stopped me taking photographs and the only people that have disturbed me are train spotters.

Both links seem aimed at "rail enthusiasts" rather than specifically photographers, who may not have any special interest in railways, but just like taking photos of pretty much anything.

I was a British Transport Police officer for nearly thirty years so have lots of experience of photographers on stations. The advice given applies to general public as well as enthusiasts. In answer to Skiking's point...photography has never been banned under very old laws or the railway Bye-laws
If in any doubt just ask a member of staff or a Police Officer.

I was a British Transport Police officer for nearly thirty years so have lots of experience of photographers on stations. The advice given applies to general public as well as enthusiasts. In answer to Skiking's point...photography has never been banned under very old laws or the railway Bye-laws
If in any doubt just ask a member of staff or a Police Officer.
Every day is a school day. It must have been an urban myth that I picked up on. I'm going to have to research to see why I came up with that thought.

Dont know Skiking but I never knew of any such rule or regulation and believe me there were many many strange regulations!

It was the "concourse" rather than a platform, you can see it on the second image here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-34312400

Not sure if that makes any difference? It certainly wasn't an area with noticeable security features that I remember (wasn't thinking about that at the time).

Thanks for the links, I had seen something similar before posting but wasn't sure what applied.

Cant see any problem taking photos there but if for commercial purposes you need a permit from the station operators.

They spend £750,000,000.00 updating the station to look really good and then get "funny" when photographers take an interest in it.

If they don't want anyone photographing it they would be better off making it just very bland and functional and not spending money on a fancy design.

According to the OP it was a cleaner who suggested that photography wasnt allowed. A cleaner........ Hardly an indication of the station management getting 'funny' over taking photographs. Whilst most of the cleaners I knew were very nice people I wouldnt be taking advice about photographing the station from them.

Are train stations private land?

If so then they are within their rights to ask you not to take photographs.

I believe stations are owned by network rail, but perhaps the shipping area is separate?

Are train stations private land?

If so then they are within their rights to ask you not to take photographs.

In which they encourage lot of members of the public to use,and some are going to be photographer and may take photos,plus with cameras in almost everything its going hard to put an full stop to it :rolleyes::)

Lots of members of our club have taken pictures there without problems since the station opened.

If you are concerned just give network Media Relations department a call or email your question....

Good suggestion, I did and they replied:

We have no problem with members of the public taking photos in our stations – particularly at places like New Street which has had such a positive makeover recently and which have such impressive architecture.

(Shows bit from website we'd seen already I wasn't sure applied.)

I can only apologise for the misinformation.

I think this is more to do with it being a new structure. They're normally like this due to terror threats and not knowing whose who.

If there is any suggestion of banning photography (and it all seems to be anecdotal) for terrorist reasons, isn't it a bit ironic that there is a Photo Gallery of images of the station available at their web site, which any aspiring (or lazy) terrorist could view from the comfort of their own home without having to drag their photographic gear to New Street?

http://www.newstreetnewstart.co.uk/construction-progress/photo-gallery.aspx

Back