Baptism Font

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
On a recent visit to Salisbury Cathedral I saw the baptism font and the reflection in the water attracted my attention - very difficult to get a shot without someone standing in the way.
I like it but I haven't got it right - how would you improve it?

Baptism Font - Salisbury by photogramps, on Flickr

Edit as suggested

font3.jpg

Last edited:
That is a very unusual font, beautiful as it is I think if you could include all three of the areas where the water flows over onto the floor that would improve things. Also the notice info board centre left, would it be too cheeky to try and move it out of shot:) has potential as a very good shot though.

Thanks Steve, I think you are right about getting the full three corners in ... it was almost a grabbed shot to be honest due to people. I must get back and give it another go and try to get rid of the loads of junk left around the place - they have some brilliant cloisters but so many tables, chairs, boards etc lying about, impossible to shoot!

I would definitely go back, has lots of potential. I would try a wider lens also, 24mm I don't think is wide enough, and f2.8 @800th sec. Do they allow tripods? I would go for at least F16 from the tip of the first overflow shot centre.

I'd suggest a little burning on the reflected window to match the directly viewed window.

I have photographed the same font myself and I know how difficult it is to get the exposure right and without "distractions".

I also see a distinct blue cast which could usefully be removed.

Have you though about contacting them to see if you could take some photos before the crowds arrive.
I did this for Castle Howard and a National Trust property. I had a conducted tour on a closed day for the NT house and for Castle Howard was the first one in with an 'official' photographers badge.....felt like a pro!!
Only condition was not for commercial use, but OK for my website and they wanted a copy of the photos for their use if they were any good.
http://www.pbase.com/dav4184/attingham_park
dave

Last edited:
Have you though about contacting them to see if you could take some photos before the crowds arrive.
I did this for Castle Howard and a National Trust property. I had a conducted tour on a closed day for the NT house and for Castle Howard was the first one in with an 'official' photographers badge.....felt like a pro!!
Only condition was not for commercial use, but OK for my website and they wanted a copy of the photos for their use if they were any good.
dave

Good idea Dave.(y)

I would definitely go back, has lots of potential. I would try a wider lens also, 24mm I don't think is wide enough, and f2.8 @800th sec. Do they allow tripods? I would go for at least F16 from the tip of the first overflow shot centre.

Yes it was a 14-24 so wider was certainly possible, tripods are allowed, unfortunately I wrongly guessed they weren't so it was back in the motor :bang:

I'd suggest a little burning on the reflected window to match the directly viewed window.

I have photographed the same font myself and I know how difficult it is to get the exposure right and without "distractions".

I also see a distinct blue cast which could usefully be removed.

Two good points (y)

dave

I've done that with NT but not with anywhere else ... might be worth a try.

Back