Bargain used gear

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
I've been toying with the idea for a while of a cheaper second hand body, and a cheap light prime that I can just keep in the car.
At the moment I'm only shooting if I go out with the intention and take my gear with me.
Based on lots of things ive read and heard, including Jay Maisel talking about getting the opportunities and doing daily visual push ups I decided to do something about this idea.

I just found a Nikon D200 with only 14k shutter actuation on it and a 50mm f1.8d. With spare battery, and memory card, the whole lot was not much more than £250.

I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on it, and love the idea of having something I can have with me all the time. Seems like it should be really quite rugged and sturdy too. Looking round on flickr and pixel peeper, seems like the body/lens combo is still really quite capable of some decent photos.

Any body else do something similar? so they always have a camera to hand?

I have a Canon G12 which lives in the car and its easier to cart round than a DSLR

I have a fuji bridge camera thats in the car but it rarely gets used.
My dad however has a 5Dmk2 witha handful of lenses but like yourself only really takes it out of he is specifically going out to take photos.
Otherwise he has a panasonic Lumix that he takes everywhere with him and uses that 75% of the time.

I appreciate some people are using bridge or point and shoot. I just find that after using a DSLR I really dont enjoy using point and shoot, or bridge type cameras. It's just a personal preference thing I guess. It also means I now have a spare body. Plus my mum likes doing a bit of photography but isnt really prepared to invest the money in anything other than a cheap point and shoot for the time being, so it gives here a decent camera to use when we all go out an I take my D7000 with me.

Bought a Fuji XE1 and 18-55mm to save lugging a lot of gear about.
Very impressed so far and can see it getting a fair amount of use.

Sounds a good deal on that D200 + 50mm. I'd go with that. It's a fine camera for outdoor use.

40d and nifty fifty?

edit; too late, you've bought one.

You can't go far wrong with a D200.
Great camera, takes quite a bit of punishment.

I bought a d5100 and 35mm f/1.8 for £250. I don't keep it in the car, but I do take it out when I don't want to carry my d700. Now I've bought a fuji x-e2 so I can see the d5100 being made redundant.

He's getting a lens, spare batt + memory card, so probably works out about the same when you factor in p&p.

I keep a Fuji XF-1 in the car just in case. Slips neatly into the door pocket and can be grabbed in an instant. An SLR would want o be in a bag of some sort and kept in the boot.

I just got a canon 5D MKII off of cameragearforsale.com. A guy in leeds was selling it at knockdown. I use it with the 24-70 and the 70-300. Minimalist magic.

I carry my Iphone everywhere, and a cheapo megazoom compact in my bag. I used to have an old film slr in the car for several years and used it exactly zero times. I personally wouldnt want to keep something like a DSLR in the car, even if its old, I'd kick myself if it got nicked and wouldnt be confident of its longevity living in there. YMMV!

Back