Wild Barn Owl at dusk

dragonfly

Advertiser
Name
Des
Edit My Images
No
A good number of visits last night. This female came in a little earlier than usual. Captured with static lights.

barnowl04.jpg

Just been having a look at your website. I need to rethink my equipment and perhaps book in with you. Going fullframe has been pulling me for a while.....

Just been having a look at your website. I need to rethink my equipment and perhaps book in with you. Going fullframe has been pulling me for a while.....
Not really sure what you were referring to about going full-frame. I find modern cropped bodies are just as good these days.

If you have any questions about any of my workshops, feel free to drop us a line.

@sk66 sorry to disappoint, Steven :). I have plenty of other barn owl shots that were not on props but this is a set up specifically for workshops.

Last edited:
what a stunning shot, the light is fantastic, thanks for posting.

but this is a set up specifically for workshops
And that is my problem with it.
Repeatedly baiting wild owls so that they become habituated to coming to a staged location, tolerant of people/camera noises/lighting, using domestic mice that may carry pathogens, so you can sell workshop sessions... there's not a wildlife organization/agency/expert around that would not call that unethical. And such images are specifically barred by most of them for that reason.

And that is my problem with it.
Repeatedly baiting wild owls so that they become habituated to coming to a staged location, tolerant of people/camera noises/lighting, using domestic mice that may carry pathogens, so you can sell workshop sessions... there's not a wildlife organization/agency/expert around that would not call that unethical. And such images are specifically barred by most of them for that reason.
I don't blame you for having those feelings, Steven. But I would let you know that our approach is very different. We took our time as to not disturb the birds - this took about four months. We also deliberately only conduct workshops for a maximum of three days a week, for no more than 5 months of the year. There's virtually no contact between the birds and human - participants are not allowed out of their hide during workshops - we set everyone up and collect them. All food items are lab cultured and amount strictly controlled by us. All this and more to encourage wild behaviour and minimise human contacts and dependence. I honestly don't think that there's anyone in UK that takes more time and effort to ensure the well-being of the animals we photograph.

With regards agencies, I can tell you that I see many such staged images being used, today. I do not opposed to that but disagree with them for not declaring it as such. If you wish to have a discussion about the ethics of wildlife photography, I suggest that you set up a thread in 'talk nature' as this is a critique section.

Back