Barn Owl (not sure about this one)(different crop added)

Name
Karen
Edit My Images
No
Well why I am messing about with my barn owls again thought I would try out the critique thingy.I quite like this one I think, so would be interested to hear your thoughts on it.As he was quite far away have gone for a habitat image would have been better had he been facing me, this was taken in the last few minutes of the evening so had that pinkish sunlight

barnowl27.jpg

Last edited:
Must say I do like it, the background color works well with the owls color, the composition works for me as well. Honestly don't think that much could be done to improve this one.

I think its spot on Karen,the late evening light has given the background a similar colour to the owls colouring,the composition is good so all in all its a lovely shot,good work as usual,

regards,
john.

Well it does show the habitat well and the light is wonderful.For anyone who has seen a Barny they will note the quietness and the feeling of open-ness surrounding him.
There's just enough detail on the bird to keep interest in the image.
Looks like I'm sure about it.
keith :cool:

I'll join in here. I think you've nailed it Karen. For me, the space makes the picture.

The subtle tones and shapes in the background work really well. The only minor nit I have is that the grasses at the bottom of the frame draw the eye a little bit and a small amount of selective blur could help with that a little. The other thought I have is how does it work as a portrait crop?

Kaz I would take a touch off the left of the frame, and a tad off the top (imperial measurements sorry) ... or as Paul said try portrait, lovely tones to the image

cheers everyone and Paul see what you mean about the top grasses I did look at that, to be honest I don t use the blur never seem to get it right but might have a mess with that when I get a minute and I think you could be on to something with the portrait crop it could work that way to as he is looking down but It might lose something about the image because there wouldn t be so much space but will try it out.

You have a very good photo here Kaz. I like the colours, the composition and the feel that looking at the picture gives me. Great work once again :clap:

I'd be very interested to see if you follow the suggestions made above and try a portrait shot

Superb shot of a cracking bird in habitat, I prefer these over close ups at the moment and this ticks all the boxes for me.

I understand where Paul and Martyn are coming from, but if a differing crop looks better,I would be surprised.

:clap:

Leave it as it is. Great composition, great colours and liking the arty background a lot.(y)

Does the original file have anymore detail in the bottom right corner that you could introduce to give a focus point for the owl?

The crop works well, but I prefer the feeling of space in the landscape version.

Great capture though which ever version you choose.

Does the original file have anymore detail in the bottom right corner that you could introduce to give a focus point for the owl?

The crop works well, but I prefer the feeling of space in the landscape version.

Great capture though which ever version you choose.

It doesn t Martin it was all grasses nothing different, I think I prefer the landscape version because of what you said about the feeling of space

Having seen the portrait, I think the landscape is stronger. If the owl was looking down a little more, it would have been stronger in portrait I think but not with this positioning...

Excellent shot, definetely prefer the landscape version over the portrait

The portrait version just seems to restrict the feeling you get from seeing the owl in flight in the landscape version.

Original works best for me |Karen.

I would also go with the original, really like this approach to bird photography, think the portrait is closing back in on the owl a little bit too much

Think the portrait shot works a smidging better than the landscape (both look great BTW) - have you tried a square edit?

Whatever, it's a great capture and the long grass with that pink hue looks beautiful. What glass did you have to use for it?

Back