Barn Owl on the hunt

Very nice and has a lovely light.,.......made me think of a sort of "high key" shot. Also, has a certain painterly style.

Well caught :)

Lovely (y)

Great shot! There’s a barn owl close to where I am staying. Any tips on what time of day I should be looking for it? Thanks.

They do come out mostly about 2 to 3 hours before sunset ,best if you can be in position ready, i saw this Owl an hour and 1 mile away before it came my way, a bit of camo helps too .
Keep very still and quiet and if possible Electronic mirror less silent shutter .

This owl passed me 3 time's within 50ft .
Rob.

Superb shot

fab light great sharpness, great photo

They do come out mostly about 2 to 3 hours before sunset ,best if you can be in position ready, i saw this Owl an hour and 1 mile away before it came my way, a bit of camo helps too .
Keep very still and quiet and if possible Electronic mirror less silent shutter .

This owl passed me 3 time's within 50ft .
Rob.

Well I gave it three hours tonight, not a sniff. I could hear the wretched thing, but no sightings. Very miffed and cold.

Well I gave it three hours tonight, not a sniff. I could hear the wretched thing, but no sightings. Very miffed and cold.
I'm afraid it can take many hours over a few months to get the shot one thing for sure is if you sat at home in the warm you wont even get a chance I do think this is one of my very best but it has taken a couple of years for it to happen I.E angle of the bird, right light to get a reasonable shutter speed right wind direction seeing the bird early and been in position ready on top of that I don't want to see another Human close by

about 10 minutes after I took this a guy on a scrambler came so it's never going to be easy .
Rob.

Thanks for all the comments, very much appreciated.

Rob.

Great work rob ,it really does take time or an incredible stroke of luck to get an image as good as this,doesn't it,better than anything I have Rob but maybe lady luck will smile soon ,they are about.
@gremlin16 Barnies feathers are not great for waterproofing great for silent flying,but they don't like rain. So it's worth using this to make the chances a little more in your favour,say if it is going to rain after sunset,Olws might be up early? Who knows it doesn't always work,as rob said it isn't easy getting an image like above,not easy at all.

Great to see though

stu

Thanks guys, I wasn’t after a world class shot, I appreciate it takes much more time and effort than I have to spend on birds. However, it’s very handy to know when they are likely to appear and under what conditions so thanks for the tips :)

Thanks guys, I wasn’t after a world class shot, I appreciate it takes much more time and effort than I have to spend on birds. However, it’s very handy to know when they are likely to appear and under what conditions so thanks for the tips :)
nah bro go for the world class shot ,we both know it's only the press of a shutter away;)

I've found the best time for them is early evening the day after heavy rain, particularly if it rained throughout the previous night as this will have affected their hunting ability. During late spring and summer months you will have more luck in daylight (particularly after rain) as they will have young to feed so will be hunting earlier and for longer. I have an excellent barn owl site about ten miles away (they raised seven young last year!) and have yet to see them this year in daylight so it is probably still too early in the year for most sites to get reliable shots (notwithstanding the excellent shots posted here.)

Would just like to add there's few things in photography more satisfying than getting a good barn owl shot on a site you have found where you have worked out their routines and when you are likely to see them. It's really really worth working at even if sometimes (often!) it's disappointing coming home after a no show. Makes getting just that one shot so worthwhile.

Last edited:
Back