Critique Barn Owl with kill.....

Edit My Images
Yes
Not 100% happy with this shot, one reason, it was shot at 440mm not 600 :facepalm:......... don't ask!....so its meant a heavier crop than I'd have liked.

Light was fading with just the last rays of a setting sun

The editing is doing mi head in too :banghead:

Does it look over sharpened around its face?? ta :)

Owl copy 1.jpg

I think it makes sense as the face is only moving forward and any other parts might be also moving vertically like the wings and legs, that's why the face is a tad bit sharper than the rest. Great catch in any case :)

Firstly it's great to see a Barn Owl anytime and with a catch is a bonus ... in reality, you say it's a heavier crop than you would like so that means there is the potential for more noise and less detail. Add to that sharpening and you get areas where there is good detail responding to the sharpening, whilst other areas do not and it looks like this is the case here.
It's a great record shot but IMO you aren't going to be able to make it a good shot technically ... at least you know where he is :)

I think it makes sense as the face is only moving forward and any other parts might be also moving vertically like the wings and legs, that's why the face is a tad bit sharper than the rest. Great catch in any case :)

Thanks

Firstly it's great to see a Barn Owl anytime and with a catch is a bonus ... in reality, you say it's a heavier crop than you would like so that means there is the potential for more noise and less detail. Add to that sharpening and you get areas where there is good detail responding to the sharpening, whilst other areas do not and it looks like this is the case here.
It's a great record shot but IMO you aren't going to be able to make it a good shot technically.

Thanks Roger, you could be right, think I'm trying a little too hard with this one :)

. at least you know where he is

This is the problem though......its on the East Coast! :banghead: :D

Does it look over sharpened around its face??
No!......:eek:

But it looks 'un-sharp' everywhere else, possibly as a result of the localised sharpening of the face area only?

As an overall image, I'm afraid it's not really working for me. The wings are possibly at the worst point in the beat for photographing and I'd guess that, if the light had been kinder, you'd have upped the shutter speed.

I'm guessing that it's one of those shots that you want to be a keeper, because it doesn't come along every day. However........ I can only empathise.:whistle:

No!......:eek:

But it looks 'un-sharp' everywhere else, possibly as a result of the localised sharpening of the face area only?

As an overall image, I'm afraid it's not really working for me. The wings are possibly at the worst point in the beat for photographing and I'd guess that, if the light had been kinder, you'd have upped the shutter speed.

I'm guessing that it's one of those shots that you want to be a keeper, because it doesn't come along every day. However........ I can only empathise.:whistle:

Thanks John, appreciate the feedback (y)

As gramps says its always a pleasure to see with a kill especially Phil

Cheers Kevin

440mm or not, that's awesome! I would have like to have seen it a bit lighter, but that's superb

Back