Barn Owl

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
I attended a birds of prey event on Sunday designed for photographers. It was a really enjoyable day with plenty of opportunity to get some posed shots and birds in flight.

Here's Boswell the three year old female Barn Owl:

barnowl1.jpg

Thanks for looking.(y)

Wow.. amazing how clear and sharp the image is while the owl was in full flight!

Brilliant photo mate :) I could do with some tips on photographing birds, do you focus as you follow it?

Richard this has to be one of the best in flight bird shots I have seen in my puff :) Stunning matey :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

now theres a shot to be proud of :D

Thanks for the comments everyone. (y)

...I could do with some tips on photographing birds, do you focus as you follow it?
The bird was released from the handler about twenty metres away. I used the expanded central focussing point on AI servo and followed the bird as it flew towards me. Also I was zooming from 200mm to 70mm to keep the bird in the frame.

Is it cropped? and which camera were you using, 7D or 5D2 ?
It's ever so slightly cropped top and bottom, about 10% and the sides are cropped to a 4:3 ratio. I used the 7D for the advanced autofocus, I doubt the 5D could have tracked the movement.

I think you've just answered a question I was going to put on the forum as I;ve got the opportunity to shoot a friend of a friends birds of prey - he's got 32 of em! I was wondering if a 70-200 would be adequate and judging by your shots it will!

Any other advice?

great, love it (y)

Back