Wild Barn Owl

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Another shot from the files, a wild Barn Owl perched on a fence at the side of the road, photographed a few years ago on the North Yorkshire coast.

Canon 1D3, Canon 500f4LIS + 1.4TC

Barn-Owl-web-S6D2324-1024-2.jpg

Thanks for the feedback on the Pied Wagtail and thanks for looking.

Andy...:)

It is a good image Andy - lovely colours - back views are less "popular" but the back of a Barn Owl is attractive

My comments would be

1). I would crop so that hardly any of the upright post is showing .......

2). The shot would have been more attractive had the bird been looking more at the camera

Thanks very much, Kevin (y)

Hi Bill...the image was shot in portrait, so I tried to keep to those dimensions, but I can appreciate your point of view re the post.

As for the Owl, unfortunately that's how it landed and it stayed with its back to me for the entire time, I agree re back views being less popular as that is the classic "captive" pose, which I really don't like, but the back on this particular bird has lots of detail and beautiful markings so I thought I post it anyway.

Thanks very much, Kevin (y)

Hi Bill...the image was shot in portrait, so I tried to keep to those dimensions, but I can appreciate your point of view re the post.

As for the Owl, unfortunately that's how it landed and it stayed with its back to me for the entire time, I agree re back views being less popular as that is the classic "captive" pose, which I really don't like, but the back on this particular bird has lots of detail and beautiful markings so I thought I post it anyway.

I agree that the back of the owl is attractive, I think that I indicated that

I felt that the upright post needed to be less dominant to show off the Owl better

Really nice detail Andy, as for the post, it is what it is and shouldn't be hidden, we can't always have perfect perches..

I am not saying that it should be hidden I am saying that there should be less of it to balance the image

Thanks Jason...pleased you like it.

Ey up, Bill...I think I'm starting to agree with you re the post, maybe the shot could do with losing at least half of it :)

Thanks Jason...pleased you like it.

Ey up, Bill...I think I'm starting to agree with you re the post, maybe the shot could do with losing at least half of it :)

just try it, that's all you need to do - that's what this section is about - comments rather than "likes" which are just a waste of time

maybe yes - maybe no

I would also vote for losing a bit off the bottom - just below the bottom of the fence rail works for me. That the owl is not facing you doesn't bother me at all. It's a very attractive, almost shy pose, shows at least half of its face beautifully and the detail and subtle colouring in the back, wing and tail feathers is just stunning.

Superb Andy! Beautiful bird showing some stunning detail, love the head position, the looking down stare, a classic perched hunting pose (y)

Its not the first time I've mentioned in the bird forum, I'm not a fan of wild birds shot in portrait, particularly birds of prey. Please don't think I'm finding fault Andy, I'm not, its a stunning shot, just my preference :)

Shot in landscape to just below the fence slat with space to right of the bird would have made it perfect for me.

I would also vote for losing a bit off the bottom - just below the bottom of the fence rail works for me. That the owl is not facing you doesn't bother me at all. It's a very attractive, almost shy pose, shows at least half of its face beautifully and the detail and subtle colouring in the back, wing and tail feathers is just stunning.
Thanks Jan :)

Superb Andy! Beautiful bird showing some stunning detail, love the head position, the looking down stare, a classic perched hunting pose (y)

Its not the first time I've mentioned in the bird forum, I'm not a fan of wild birds shot in portrait, particularly birds of prey. Please don't think I'm finding fault Andy, I'm not, its a stunning shot, just my preference :)

Shot in landscape to just below the fence slat with space to right of the bird would have made it perfect for me.
Thanks Phil...(y)

Back