Barn Owl

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
Me and a friend went out on the hunt for a known owl location and with the idea of time we thought we would give it a go....

Day was bright until the time we arrived and all the clouds rolled in so light was flat and dim.

But we managed to see the Owl... shot using monopod (first time using one)

Kit : 7d Mk II and Tamron 150-600 G1

Settings 1/640s f6.3 ISO6400 @ 600mm so very noisy and cropped but I will be back with cover hide thing and stay in one place hopefully with better light :D

_13A7732
by Bryn_Thomas, on Flickr

_13A7842

_13A7878

_13A7885

Plan is to stay in one place and use a hide cover to hopefully get closer and allow me to use slower shutter speed and ISO.

Any suggestions would be a appreciated

:ty:

Good result.

I do a fair bit of owl photography (pretty much every evening at the moment) and I get decent results with my 7Dii at ISO12,800 so you can push the ISO right up. To start the shutter speed goes up (even though I do go down to 1/640 if I have to) and at 600mm that is a good thing so the image is then sharper and a sharper image is easier to reduce noise on. I edit in lightroom and will go to +60 noise reduction and finish in Dfine add on which is a free noise reduction tool https://www.google.com/nikcollection/products/dfine/

I find the noise at ISO 12,800 has a lot less colour in it so much easier to clean up and since some one on TP mentioned Dfine I have not looked back.

So near and yet so far hey mate. Bryn I ware como cover face gloves bla de bla,oft wonder if owls just see through everything,

I think finding one near and being able to be there often, is a big thing. I suspect with time they get used to us. So i'm actually curious if the hide would be of benefit. I feel sudden movement is your biggest enemy

all the luck

Stu

No 1 is amazing at is is. It's more about the Owls environment and it's a wall hanger for me (y)
Must be a real buzz to sit across from them and watch their behaviour. Thanks for sharing :)

Really nice images, caught just right :)

Thanks Paul appreciate the comment

Nice set.

Thank you

Good result.

I do a fair bit of owl photography (pretty much every evening at the moment) and I get decent results with my 7Dii at ISO12,800 so you can push the ISO right up. To start the shutter speed goes up (even though I do go down to 1/640 if I have to) and at 600mm that is a good thing so the image is then sharper and a sharper image is easier to reduce noise on. I edit in lightroom and will go to +60 noise reduction and finish in Dfine add on which is a free noise reduction tool https://www.google.com/nikcollection/products/dfine/

I find the noise at ISO 12,800 has a lot less colour in it so much easier to clean up and since some one on TP mentioned Dfine I have not looked back.

Excellent may run these through Dfine see what I get. The biggest worry is losing too much detail. Hoping to see it when the weather isn't grey and sure that will make a whole heap of difference. Thanks for the comment.

So near and yet so far hey mate. Bryn I ware como cover face gloves bla de bla,oft wonder if owls just see through everything,

I think finding one near and being able to be there often, is a big thing. I suspect with time they get used to us. So i'm actually curious if the hide would be of benefit. I feel sudden movement is your biggest enemy

all the luck

Stu

Indeed sudden movement is an issue, I have actually heard it a lot that Camo makes no difference and to be fair this Owl isn't bother by a lot, the area it flies in has lots and lots of dog walkers and it just doesn't care. But I am desperate to get closer to the post to get that classic post shot :D

Admittedly I did move around quite a lot during session to try and work out its favourite spots etc.

No 1 is amazing at is is. It's more about the Owls environment and it's a wall hanger for me (y)
Must be a real buzz to sit across from them and watch their behaviour. Thanks for sharing :)

Watching them is Majestic mate I was in total awe watching it fly and spin then dive into the grass.

Good record shots Bryn (y)

Becareful with Owls, its a slippery slope to obsession! :D

Thats Phil.... Yes I have that feeling but if I can find where it flies in the morning then I may be on a winner as timings currently for the evening are a little awkward to go regularly.

Great shots Bryn, hoping to get some shots of some owls

Thanks ... need to get lens firmware updated to help with the panning type shot

Been a quiet one for my Barn owls this year ...Always nice to see them in action

They are amazing Den can see why you love them so much, but your shots are amazing! Do you bother with Camo etc? because this Owl seemed to not care at all even with the dogs running around (y)

Thanks ... need to get lens firmware updated to help with the panning type shot

They are amazing Den can see why you love them so much, but your shots are amazing! Do you bother with Camo etc? because this Owl seemed to not care at all even with the dogs running around (y)
Hi Just the usual netural colours,no need for all the camo gear....just a bit of common sense were to stand,sit and hide as they do the same route nearly evry day / night and set your watch with them ...

Hi Just the usual netural colours,no need for all the camo gear....just a bit of common sense were to stand,sit and hide as they do the same route nearly evry day / night and set your watch with them ...

Cheers Den appreciate the detail. :D

Back