Barnes Bittern in the reeds

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Barnes Bittern by Jim Swales, on Flickr

Something I haven't done in a long time, taken out the big lens (and even the camera!) but got lucky with this Bittern just chilling out next to the reeds! 5dIII, 120-300 f2.8 with x2 and cropped from landscape but full height.

Last edited:
At Barnes WWT????? I need to get myself up there! I work at Wimbledon park so it's just up the road! shame it's dark by the time I'm done :( nice shot anyway, lucky you!

At Barnes WWT????? I need to get myself up there! I work at Wimbledon park so it's just up the road! shame it's dark by the time I'm done :( nice shot anyway, lucky you!

They arrive every winter but I have never got one this close, they usually hang out on the far side from the hides. This one was literally next to the hide!

I've heard they come but I've never seen one. I live in Croydon so it's a bit expensive to go there often enough to see one. Used to go every weekend until I moved further out. Will have to go back soon!

Lovely to see it in the reeds, I'm still trying to get my local one to make an appearance :)

Thanks all, it was very much a take it whilst its there shot, kit, bittern and all! ;)

No wonder they are so difficult to spot. I can remember someone pointing one out to me at Potteric Carr NR. It was stood out in the open and I still couldn't see it. Lol.
Top image.

I know, I have photos where it was almost impossible to see the bloody thing!

I really like this one, Jim...it's been a while since I last photographed a Bittern, so a little envious to say the least.

I think the partially obscured head, by the reeds, adds to the shot and the Bittern is probably the only species of bird that you can actually get away with it.

Think I need to get myself there this weekend and just sit in the end hide all day to give me a better chance if seeing one...now just have to hope for good weather! (Fat chance!)

Back