Barry and Kylie - Wedding

Edit My Images
Yes
Wedding yesterday. Still mistakes and room for much improvement. Just a few Images from my first glance over them.

5993149857_d32b60ccc9_z.jpg

5993701042_fd50567c64_z.jpg

5993701364_9716675d90_z.jpg

5993144675_908f19a74b_z.jpg

5993705194_a585d18b62_z.jpg

5993142611_fa7a2e751f_z.jpg

Hi John, nice set of images, don't know if you wanted comments but I have a few.

1. Like this because the dress is on a decent hanger, quite often they put them on crappy black plastic things.

2. Great use of DoF, maybe the skewed effect is a bit overdone for my taste.

3. Really love this image, just wish the bride had perhaps reached up and held the curtain, this would have eliminated the unflattering folds of flesh over the back of the dress.

4. Yep, OK though again not sure about the skew.

5. Gorgeous, lovely emotion, well exposed and composed, the best one for me.

6. I like these split focus pictures, lovely expression from the bride.

If you weren't asking for crit please feel free to ignore my comments, they are just my own opinion as an observer of the work.

ATB

jeff

John I agree with Jeff. Wonky horizons are a bit dated now, thank goodness. Not sure why you used it on pic No. 4
Apart from that, very nice images.

I like them they are really nice

one thing I did notice is on number 1 you can see the radiator temperature control a petty dislike I bet if you removed it it would look better :)

I like them they are really nice

one thing I did notice is on number 1 you can see the radiator temperature control a petty dislike I bet if you removed it it would look better :)

x2

The real beauty of digital media to make a great photgraph even better

John I agree with Jeff. Wonky horizons are a bit dated now, thank goodness. Not sure why you used it on pic No. 4
Apart from that, very nice images.

I have to disagree. Taking shots on the angle won't become dated because they produce a different dynamic to the photograph. Each to their own I suppose but I do like number 2. I might have been tempted to straighten number 4 though.

one thing I did notice is on number 1 you can see the radiator temperature control a petty dislike I bet if you removed it it would look better
+1. This is quite distracting at the moment but is an easy fix in PP.

Really nice shots otherwise though. (y)

Last edited:
#1 & #3 are great - I'm impressed that you managed to get some separation between the brides dress and the window behind (in #3).
#6 is a really lovely and natural shot of the bride. But I think the groom is a little too out-of-focus to the point that it looks like you were trying to blot him out of the shot ;-)

I have to disagree. Taking shots on the angle won't become dated because they produce a different dynamic to the photograph. Each to their own I suppose but I do like number 2. I might have been tempted to straighten number 4 though.
I'm not opposed to skewed photographs, in fact I do it all the time, I just thought in #2 it was a little exessive as I said.

jeff

Thanks everyone for the responses.

The Thermostat in 1 is an unforgivable oversight and of course should (and will) be removed, especially before posting on a forum such as this. These are only rough edits and were knocked together for the wee slideshow set up during the reception.

Onto Wonky horizons! I have never been much of a fan myself, And believe it or not this is the first wedding in which I have consciously used them. 3 of the 6 images above (Bet you didn't think there was a 3rd, did you! Ha!) so it might look like I use it alot, but I don't. Number 2 I'll defend to the death despite all the technical and aesthetic issues (yes I'd have liked to have framed him over to the right a little more and I'd have liked his jacket to be sitting better and the harsh shadows on his face annoy me) but it is a wee moment in time and I like that. 4 will under go a wee crop and straighten slightly but will remain off kilter, I think it adds a wee dimension to what would otherwise be an unequivocally dull shot.

3 - Jeff totally right however the window is a bit wide for her wingspan, I did try, I also had her rest her hands on one of the ledges of the pains of glass but it look a little like she was trying to escape!

5 has convinced me that prime lenses and natural light are by far the best way to shot my portraits I currently only have the 50mm 1.8 but can see the 1.4 on the way, at 35 and a 85 soon thereafter maybe all 1.4's

Top Banana - my thoughts exactly on number 6 but its done now but will be addressed in the future!

I'll post a couple more shortly.

Some lovely wedding photos here. How come I never have a good location for the dress shot!!

11 is a lovely portrait too, regardless of being taken at a wedding.

Sure Phil-

550 (bare) near the stage salved to the 580 (diffuser) handheld and cabled up to the camera.

I could be wrong but theres a chance the 580 didnt fire or it was one of the frames I deliberately pointed it away. Both set up in ETTL (i thats the abbreviation?) Its pretty dark and doesn't stand up well in a colour version but passable in B&W with bit of work. I kinda wish I had cross lit the dance with another flash but it might have been too much.

Thanks for the comments. No7 is something I do every wedding with the bride/bridesmaids/mother and anyone else hanging about looking pretty. Its just after the bridal prep, window light and usually a reflector. 2.2 or 2.5 with the 50mm.

Back