Basic equipment help!

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
After finally deciding to buy the Nikon D3300 with your help, I'm back for more!

These are things I think I need /want and wanted to know any recommendations!

Memory card - is any class 10 memory card good enough for a beginner?

Tripod - do I really need this at first? If so, recommendations?

Camera bag - any recomendations for a bag that will fit the camera, and eventually an extra lens.

I know that seems basic to lots of people but any help is apprieciated!

I use Sandisk Extreme 90mb/s cards. 32gb from Amazon are around £14.

Tripod depends on what kind of stuff you will be shooting. If you're planning on doing long exposures or landscapes then yes, a tripod is a good investment.

Bags are personal choice. I have 3 now and all serve a different purpose.

I use Sandisk Extreme Pro 95mb/s memory cards and find them very good. As for a tripod, it depends on what you plan on shooting. If you're going to be doing landscapes and/or slow shutter speeds then a tripod is recommended. There's lots of things to consider regarding a tripod, such as stability, portability, height etc and it's up to you where your priority lies. What I would say is don't buy a cheap £30 one, they're rubbish and you'll only end up buying a more expensive one. Camera bags, there's hundreds to choose from and it depends on how much stuff you'll be wanting to carry, whether you want a backpack, shoulder bag etc, whether you want it to look like a camera bag or something more discrete. I tend to use Lowepro and always been happy with those. Good bags without being ridiculously overpriced.

Yongnuo Tripo and Meike are all good budget flash guns, I have tried all of them, I currently use a Meike MK910 for TTL and Yongnuo YN560 111 for OCF .

After finally deciding to buy the Nikon D3300 with your help, I'm back for more!

These are things I think I need /want and wanted to know any recommendations!

Memory card - is any class 10 memory card good enough for a beginner?

Tripod - do I really need this at first? If so, recommendations?

Camera bag - any recomendations for a bag that will fit the camera, and eventually an extra lens.

I know that seems basic to lots of people but any help is apprieciated!

Memory card, yeah class 10 is great, do not buy from eBay, usually have counterfeit ones.

Tripod depends what you want to shoot?

Lowepro always do great bags. Choice is yours though. Nova 160 AW is pretty good.

regarding bags, cost effective way to carry your equipment is just to buy a camera bag insert from ebay and just use your regular bag.

Any suggestions for a cheap + good one? :)

Thanks for all the advice everyone! :)
Yongnuo tend to be quite popular. I have the Nikon SB-700 and think it's excellent.

I would get a nikon flash its worth the extra to know that they are compatible.

I wouldn't bother with anything else than memory cards, a bag and maybe a lens cloth & blower. Don't make the beginner mistake of buying lots of kit cheaply that you don't end up using or replace with better stuff later. There is the saying 'buy once, buy right'. Buy stuff as you find you need it. Learn how to use the camera first before buying extra bits like flash as it's a whole new learning curve.

Another option is to wait until you have access to the classifieds as a contributing member of the forum. There are usually some good second hand gear in there.

To select the right memory card for you have a look at this site.

http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d3300/fastest-sd-card-tests/

Last edited:
I would add to your list an external flash. They so much better than the popup one
Agreed essential bit of kit imo.

Surely that depends on what your genre is? If it's portraits then I can see the point but if it's wildlife or landscapes it's not exactly essential. The OP hasnt said what he's interested in. If the OP is a beginner (he's asking what basic equipment needs are so most likely is) then advising buying lots of kit isn't helpful when he hasn't worked out what genres he's interested in. The worst thing I think beginners can do is start worrying about kit and whether they need things before actually needing them. It would have save me money when starting as I still have bits like cheap tripod & filters etc that I don't use.

Learn how to use your camera and the basics like composition and lighting rather get fixated on gear, it will improve your photography more than kit does. There are lots good tutorials on here and on the internet.

Last edited:
You don't necessarily need anything as mentioned above, aside from a memory card and possibly a bag! Find your own shooting style and get what you need to do it how you want to. I used to carry my first SLR with it's only lens attached on top of a jumper in a rucksack, then upgraded to an ALDI £5 slr bag, then went from there. If you get the latest say Crumpler over the shoulder job you might find that it's fine for body and kit lens, but what if you get into big primes and can't fit them in?!

Same with a tripod, do you really need one at the moment? I made do with a beanbag and the floor/wall/car when I started then 3 tripods later I've finally got one which works for me but most others seem to hate. Flash could be useful but again it depends on what you are taking photos of. Wait until you get to the point where you can say "this would have been a much better shot if I used a tripod" or you can't get the image you want because you didn't have a flash before going down that route - else it may sit in the bottom of the bag for months doing nowt but leaking battery acid!

Surely that depends on what your genre is? If it's portraits then I can see the point but if it's wildlife or landscapes it's not exactly essential. The OP hasnt said what he's interested in. use.
Good point ;)

Samtd asked for basic equipment IMHO an external flash is basic equipment

Samtd asked for basic equipment IMHO an external flash is basic equipment

I understand they are basic equipment to you but it's very dependant on the type of photography the OP does. From my point as a wildlife photographer I would say a bean bag and a right angle viewfinder is basic equipment for a wildlife photographer but to a beginner they are not necessary. A landscape photographer may say something completely different like tripod, cable release and filters (ND's, grads, polariser).

Currently the OP has not stated what they are interested in. Until the OP knows what he's interested in the only basic equipment needed is a camera, memory card, a means of clean dirt/marks of the front element, a means of carrying the camera (the camera strap or maybe a bag) and a computer. All other equipment from there onwards is very dependant on the type of photography the OP gets interested in. Starting out it's easy to get far too in depth with gear and lose sight of the photography side. Later on he may do another thread saying what is basic equipment for portraits then we would be looking more in depth at bits like flash, reflectors, triggers etc.

Last edited:
From reading samtd post I guess he is just starting out. I do a lot of wildlife myself but I must say I still keep a flash in my bag. All I trying to do is give samtd the best options

Sam, you've got a camera, lens and a class 10 is fine, you've all you need, anythin' else is a luxury.
I've had many hobbies where i've spent a lot of money on kit but always came back to basics and what i really need, it's what works for you that counts.
I would recommend a tripod before flash, a good bag depends on what you're putting in it.

I've never used an external flash even though I carry one ........... lol. Tripod is a must for me though. As said, it really depends on what your going to take pics of :)

You need an SD card, and on that camera, with that pixel count, image file sizes are gong to be BIG, and 10x 'Big' if you shoot in NEF (raw) rather than Jpg, and doubly 10x 'Big' if you shoot NEF+JPG and it has to write two image files per shot to card!

You really want a 45mb/s or faster card, or it will be 'buffering out' between frames.. so 'No', not any class 10 card will do, look at the transfer speed.

As for size? I have the slightly lower pixel count D3200, I rarely fill a 16Mb card in a day, even when am 'machine-gunning' action shots. But I CAN fill it....
Bigger file sizes you are likely to get, may suggest larger cap cards, BUT, I'd suggest you go for smaller cards; get into the habit of clearing them down after every 'shoot'; not having un-needed files on the card speeds up the transfer times, and that's the bigger 'problem'. Buy more cards as and when you are regularly filling what you got in one shoot. 16Mb ought to be 'enough' to be getting to with.

Bags come many shapes and sizes and styles; personally I prefer a 'top loader' shoulder bag, I can whip the camera out of, without taking it off my shoulder, and even mess with the stuff in the bag from my shoulder, rather than a ruck-sack you have to take off to get at stuff; or a holster, that really holds little more than the camera; or flight cases, that are better for storage and stowage than between shot luggage; BUT, what suits YOU is all dependent! And starts with how much kit you actually have, and how much of it you want to lug about! One camera, one lens and one SD card, you don't really have anything to keep in the bag when camera's in your hand! Then a bag is often just a PITA getting in the way!

Tripod? Personally I rate this higher in the list of priorities than a flash or anything else. BUT, they are only any good if you have one with the camera! And big hefty tripods are likely to be left at home or in the car and not be any damn use! I quite like 'table-top' tripods; the sort of small lightweight ones you can slip in a camera bag or big coat pocket easily and WILL be there when you can make use of them... With the kit lens, or 35mm prime, not putting any great load too far off centre from the tripod mount, I have 'got away' with a cheap Gorrilla type copy I bought for the kids compacts, and sure you could too. Some use bean-bags as a soft support, and you can improvise them with a folded up coat or jumper, beer-mats or even crushed fag-packet! If you need more height? Well, there's usually a table or a car roof or a brick wall or 'something' to give a bit of extra elevation 'around' when you need it; use self timer or remote release, and you can get good enough' results without even a 'proper' tripod, after that, proper ones, even cheapo ones just make it a bit easier.... But, on that camera, before getting any more sophisticated on the tripod, you will want a much more reliable 'wired' or perhaps 'radio' remote release; the infra-red one that comes with the camera is a bit 'flakey'. Remember, Better cameras and Better tripods don't make better pictures, Better Photographers make better pictures! For starting out, pick on price and convenience and something you ARE likely to carry with the camera, rather than getting hung up on brand and quality and stuff. Until you start spending as much money as new lenses, they are all going to be much of a much for wobblynes, and you are likely to get better going 'small'.

I'm sanguine about 'flash'... big accessory flashes on the hot-shoe, or even on an L-Bracket to the side, still so close to the lens plane, to my mind, are just chucking even more horrible and unflattering light at the subject as the one that pops up out the camera, and make the subject look just as blinded, flat and unflattered! Getting good results with flash is a tricky business, and starts with setting them up off and well away from the camera on stacks, to get better angles, then balancing flash and ambient light and flash and flash at different angles and distances; and something you don't 'learn' in a hurry, and is easier to learn not with flash but spot-lights.. its somewhere you may want to go, but, tripod is far more use, far more often, and if you get to that point you want to start artificially lighting and creatively lighting subjects, you probably need first anyway.

Best 'accessory' you can probably put your money into right now? PETROL or a bus-pass, or pumping up the tyres on the push-bike or whatever....! JUST get out and about, and take photo's! You cant 'buy' experience!

You need an SD card, and on that camera, with that pixel count, image file sizes are gong to be BIG, and 10x 'Big' if you shoot in NEF (raw) rather than Jpg, and doubly 10x 'Big' if you shoot NEF+JPG and it has to write two image files per shot to card!

You really want a 45mb/s or faster card, or it will be 'buffering out' between frames.. so 'No', not any class 10 card will do, look at the transfer speed.

As for size? I have the slightly lower pixel count D3200, I rarely fill a 16Mb card in a day, even when am 'machine-gunning' action shots. But I CAN fill it....
Bigger file sizes you are likely to get, may suggest larger cap cards, BUT, I'd suggest you go for smaller cards; get into the habit of clearing them down after every 'shoot'; not having un-needed files on the card speeds up the transfer times, and that's the bigger 'problem'. Buy more cards as and when you are regularly filling what you got in one shoot. 16Mb ought to be 'enough' to be getting to with.

Bags come many shapes and sizes and styles; personally I prefer a 'top loader' shoulder bag, I can whip the camera out of, without taking it off my shoulder, and even mess with the stuff in the bag from my shoulder, rather than a ruck-sack you have to take off to get at stuff; or a holster, that really holds little more than the camera; or flight cases, that are better for storage and stowage than between shot luggage; BUT, what suits YOU is all dependent! And starts with how much kit you actually have, and how much of it you want to lug about! One camera, one lens and one SD card, you don't really have anything to keep in the bag when camera's in your hand! Then a bag is often just a PITA getting in the way!

Tripod? Personally I rate this higher in the list of priorities than a flash or anything else. BUT, they are only any good if you have one with the camera! And big hefty tripods are likely to be left at home or in the car and not be any damn use! I quite like 'table-top' tripods; the sort of small lightweight ones you can slip in a camera bag or big coat pocket easily and WILL be there when you can make use of them... With the kit lens, or 35mm prime, not putting any great load too far off centre from the tripod mount, I have 'got away' with a cheap Gorrilla type copy I bought for the kids compacts, and sure you could too. Some use bean-bags as a soft support, and you can improvise them with a folded up coat or jumper, beer-mats or even crushed fag-packet! If you need more height? Well, there's usually a table or a car roof or a brick wall or 'something' to give a bit of extra elevation 'around' when you need it; use self timer or remote release, and you can get good enough' results without even a 'proper' tripod, after that, proper ones, even cheapo ones just make it a bit easier.... But, on that camera, before getting any more sophisticated on the tripod, you will want a much more reliable 'wired' or perhaps 'radio' remote release; the infra-red one that comes with the camera is a bit 'flakey'. Remember, Better cameras and Better tripods don't make better pictures, Better Photographers make better pictures! For starting out, pick on price and convenience and something you ARE likely to carry with the camera, rather than getting hung up on brand and quality and stuff. Until you start spending as much money as new lenses, they are all going to be much of a much for wobblynes, and you are likely to get better going 'small'.

I'm sanguine about 'flash'... big accessory flashes on the hot-shoe, or even on an L-Bracket to the side, still so close to the lens plane, to my mind, are just chucking even more horrible and unflattering light at the subject as the one that pops up out the camera, and make the subject look just as blinded, flat and unflattered! Getting good results with flash is a tricky business, and starts with setting them up off and well away from the camera on stacks, to get better angles, then balancing flash and ambient light and flash and flash at different angles and distances; and something you don't 'learn' in a hurry, and is easier to learn not with flash but spot-lights.. its somewhere you may want to go, but, tripod is far more use, far more often, and if you get to that point you want to start artificially lighting and creatively lighting subjects, you probably need first anyway.

Best 'accessory' you can probably put your money into right now? PETROL or a bus-pass, or pumping up the tyres on the push-bike or whatever....! JUST get out and about, and take photo's! You cant 'buy' experience!
I hope you mean 16GB cards and not 16MB ;)

I disagree with some your comments re flash, it can give nicer results on camera than pop up, although obviously it is better bounced or off camera. A place where on camera flash can be useful is outdoor is bright sunlight as fill light to lift the horrible shadows, of course if you can diffuse it it's much better. Yes ideally you'd have multiple light sources and/or reflectors, but a single flashgun is still a very useful tool IMO.

I hope you mean 16GB cards and not 16MB ;)
I don't know at times... I still have some 4Mb cards kicking about that confuddle me!?!?

As to flash? I don't think that a big 'off-camera' accessory flash with a GN of 140 or so, is really all that appropriate for a 'bit' of 'fill-in'.. I have a couple of old 'electronic' accessory flashes from my film cameras, used for such purposes, often with paper diffusers, and their GN's are outstripped by the 'lowly' GN12 offered in the pop-up on my Digi!

I will confess, I tend to avoid flash photography these days, and digital, giving me 'film-speeds', at the touch of a button, shot by shot, I could only dream of, when 400ASA was considered 'fast' has made me even less affectionate towards it. But I'm primarily a 'recordist', I like to capture what I 'see' rather than make what I see 'artificially' first....

There's two basic reasons to use flash; first is that you don't have enough light to get a 'exposure' of what you see.. its too dark; so to get an exposure of what you see under 'ambient light'. Chuck in more light with a flash, and you don't get what you see, you get what the flash, instantaneously creates 'artificially'... not the photo you had hoped to get when you looked at the scene in front of you. So to get that; you don't need flash, you need a wider aperture, a slower shutter, or a higher ISO, and if you STILL cant make an exposure, with a modern Digi ramped to ISO 'Hi' on a tripod with a shutter up to 30 seconds or more, even with a kit lens as slow as f3.5, can you actually see ANYTHING in the ambient light to start with?

Second reason; whether you have enough light or not, you DON'T actually want the scene you see under ambient light, you want something 'different'..... fill-in is an example of this; you look at back-lit model on the beach, and their face s in shadow, and you WANT to remove that shadow, you DON'T want what you 'see' . So now you are using artificial light to create an alternative image.. and the trouble with 'flash' is that it is an instantaneous 'flash' that exists for only a fraction of a moment; you have to know how that light will change the scene you are looking at, and you have to imagine it in your minds eye, because it isn't there when you are looking through the view-finder!

Which is why, especially to a newby I don't recommend a flash as all that 'important' in their gadget bag. If there isn't enough light to get what they see in front of them, then they aren't going to get it. full stop. In that scenario, flash is just giving false hope, mis-direction, and often bad photo's, with little 'clue' even as to what has made them 'bad', other than 'I used flash'?

If they don't want what they see in front of them, then fair enough. But; its an almost independent art, a specialisation in photography, where IF that's the sort of thing you want to do, the camera and other kit becomes almost secondary, primary tool IS the artificial lighting, and the starting point for learning that art is not a flash, its a constant light source you can see, in real time, playing on your subject, so you can observe how the light falls and how it shifts the shadows, contrasts and emphasis, AS you move the light source about. Only when you have acquired that 'skill' and can picture in your head how the light will fall, before it is switched on, does flash start to become 'useful', and an aid rather than a hindrance.

In the 'rankings' of purchase priority then, I rate flash as a 'specialist' bit of equipment, and about as important as other gadgets you might never use, let alone need, like a big-stoppa filter, or a grey-grad or an extension tube, not something as fundamentally 'useful' as a camera support, that is used almost across the board in so many situations and so many areas of 'specialisation' and is a genuine aid to better photography, not just odd special occasions or certain situations.

And yes, one of the reasons I probably try and avoid it is because I AM crap at flash photography!, But still, I don't expect every-one to share my opinion, but I hope they can understand the logic behind it.

Thanks for all the above advice, makes interesting reading and I appreciate it!

I think for now I will just get myself a bag and a memory card and go snapping until I can decide what else I need :)

I don't know at times... I still have some 4Mb cards kicking about that confuddle me!?!?

As to flash? I don't think that a big 'off-camera' accessory flash with a GN of 140 or so, is really all that appropriate for a 'bit' of 'fill-in'.. I have a couple of old 'electronic' accessory flashes from my film cameras, used for such purposes, often with paper diffusers, and their GN's are outstripped by the 'lowly' GN12 offered in the pop-up on my Digi!
wow, a GN 140 flash would light up the entire night sky :p You don't have to have the flash on full power you know, you can make it subtle ;)

There's two basic reasons to use flash; first is that you don't have enough light to get a 'exposure' of what you see.. its too dark; so to get an exposure of what you see under 'ambient light'. Chuck in more light with a flash, and you don't get what you see, you get what the flash, instantaneously creates 'artificially'... not the photo you had hoped to get when you looked at the scene in front of you. So to get that; you don't need flash, you need a wider aperture, a slower shutter, or a higher ISO, and if you STILL cant make an exposure, with a modern Digi ramped to ISO 'Hi' on a tripod with a shutter up to 30 seconds or more, even with a kit lens as slow as f3.5, can you actually see ANYTHING in the ambient light to start with?
Sorry to disagree again but you can use flash to get what you see. For example if I take a shot in my living room in the evening with the room lights on I take a pic at say f2.8, 1/60 ISO 3200 (as it's still quite dark even though our eyes have adjusted and it doesn't look dark) the image can start to become noisy and it also looks flat. Take the same shot using bounced flash with ISO at say 200 and it still looks natural, it looks more 3 dimensional and there's no noise. By using the flash it actually looks more like it does looking at the scene with my eyes as it has dimension and depth.

Second reason; whether you have enough light or not, you DON'T actually want the scene you see under ambient light, you want something 'different'..... fill-in is an example of this; you look at back-lit model on the beach, and their face s in shadow, and you WANT to remove that shadow, you DON'T want what you 'see' . So now you are using artificial light to create an alternative image.. and the trouble with 'flash' is that it is an instantaneous 'flash' that exists for only a fraction of a moment; you have to know how that light will change the scene you are looking at, and you have to imagine it in your minds eye, because it isn't there when you are looking through the view-finder!
Again there are times when a flash can make it look more how we see it. In an example like this often we do not see so much shadows as our eyes have a much wider dynamic range than even the best cameras and sometimes you take a shot and look at the pic and say "that looks far more contrasty than it did with my eyes". Either the model's face is in much more shadow than we saw, or the backlight is blown. You can use gentle flash to lift the shadow so that it's how we saw it, or you can use more flash and completely light the face. Of course you could always use a reflector to get a similar, arguably better result.

Another example of using fill is in harsh contrasty sunlight such as when my dog's laying in the sunlight coming in through my lounge window, no matter how you meter the shot there's always harsh shadows and way too much contrast compared with what the eye sees. Use bounce flash and hey presto it looks just like my eyes saw it.

Which is why, especially to a newby I don't recommend a flash as all that 'important' in their gadget bag. If there isn't enough light to get what they see in front of them, then they aren't going to get it. full stop. In that scenario, flash is just giving false hope, mis-direction, and often bad photo's, with little 'clue' even as to what has made them 'bad', other than 'I used flash'?
Again, not if used correctly IMO.

But; its an almost independent art
True

where IF that's the sort of thing you want to do, the camera and other kit becomes almost secondary, primary tool IS the artificial lighting,
Not really.

and the starting point for learning that art is not a flash, its a constant light source you can see, in real time, playing on your subject, so you can observe how the light falls and how it shifts the shadows, contrasts and emphasis, AS you move the light source about. Only when you have acquired that 'skill' and can picture in your head how the light will fall, before it is switched on, does flash start to become 'useful', and an aid rather than a hindrance.
I'm not sure I agree with this either, sorry.

And yes, one of the reasons I probably try and avoid it is because I AM crap at flash photography!, But still, I don't expect every-one to share my opinion, but I hope they can understand the logic behind it.
I can understand your logic, and it makes more sense the fact you say you're not good with it.

I'm not trying to be argumentative at all with this so I hope it doesn't come across this way. The reason I've taken the time to respond is because a lot of people seem to be afraid of flash, and reading posts like yours will only make them more afraid, and may put any newbie off from trying flash photography.

The truth is flash photography is a very powerful tool, doesn't always look unnatural and can enhance a picture or even make it look more how we saw it (y)

Last edited:
Two memory cards, no fun trying to delete photos on the day if you fill your only card up. Spare battery is esssential and a bag or protective insert is also a good idea.

Rocket blower and lens cleaning cloth/lenspen are another couple of cheap items that tend to be forgotten.

Leave everything else until you know what you want, bound to waste money otherwise

We're hi-jacking the thread on this topic; but our difference hinges on a point of semantics; and that's between 'sight' and 'perception'.
How we perceive a scene differently to how a camera records that scene.
Yes, flash, amongst many other tools, may be used to 'correct' what is recorded to something more like what our eye 'perceives'... but then our human vision is a very perverse thing, and no two people perceive a scene the same, let alone how a camera might make a record of that scene.
Selective focus, fast or slow shutter speeds, over or under exposure the basic camera controls we use to make an exposure all change the way the scene is recorded and change the emphasis of elements within it; its an absolute lie that the camera never lies, it ALWAYS lies..... its merely a question of degree, and whether we want it to lie!
I don't deny the usefulness of flash merely its relative usefulness and pertinence in the greater range of photographic endeavour, where compared to a tripod, that is 'useful' in so many more and varied situations, including those where you might also employ flash, but many many many more you probably wont,hence its higher ranking in my suggested purchase priorities.

I wouldn't bother with any gear apart from a memory card and maybe a spare battery. If you're just starting out now you have all the gear you need to get learning and anything that takes the camera out of your hands is going to retard your learning.

Back